Whyte e160S or Specialized turbo Levo

super_claret

Aug 21, 2019
North Yorkshire
I’m struggling to make a decision on the purchase of a new EMTB. I currently have a Haibike SDURO full 7, which is 2 years old with a Bosch gen 3 motor and has been faultless. It’s just so heavy so I’ve decided to go for a newer model.

I have had a short ride on a Levo and it seemed great but I’m nervous about being left miles away from civilisation after a motor failure.
I realise all motors can fail, but it seems Specialized have a high percentage of failures. I haven’t yet been able to ride a Whyte, only sit on one in LBS. I love the look of the Whyte and intend to have a ride on one as soon as my LBS has one in.

I’d love to hear your experiences with Whyte bikes, especially regarding customer service, as well as how the bikes ride. Any reliability issues so far?

thanks in advance

super_claret

Aug 21, 2019
North Yorkshire
Forgot to add...I’m riding More XC routes than trails, however, that may change.

How does the Bosch gen 4 ride when switched off? On my Haibike it’s like pedalling through thick mud and really noticeable. Obviously partly due to the weight of the bike but also motor resistance?

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
There's very little drag from the motor when pedalling with it switched off on the bosch gen4, I'd go as far to say theres no additional drag at all.

It can be hard to separate the extra drag of Having to pedal a 22-26kg bike compared to a 13kg bike from extra mechanical drag from the motor when you're actually riding , but if you put the bike in a work stand and turn the pedals by hand with the motor off it feels like exactly the same effort as doing that on my non e bike.

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
The Whyte E160 is a great ride, with the seat in the correct position you feel more sat in the bike.
It is more of an all mountain bike, but it happy to ride anywhere, I quite often just ride mine round the high peak lanes.
The motor is very powerful and with 12 speed will get up anything. However with no power its not great to pedal but I guess no e-bikes are.
Its really a do anything bike that loves to go fast on the downhills and both models have stiff 38mm forks.

The advantage of the Whyte is the UK based backup with lifetime on the bearings designed for UK trials.
Its all standard Bosch so good support on the electrics.

I've not ridden a Levo but have the 160S, I love it and would buy another in a flash.

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
Can’t go wrong with either really. The most recent Levos are supposed to have had most of their gremlins ironed out. I have a Whyte e160rs and a Levo SL and I’d quite happily buy either again. Pick whichever feels best to you and is available, and able to be supported, locally.

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
I spotted a new Whyte E-160 in burnt orange this afternoon while out for lunch down the Quayside in Newcastle, it looked absolutely stunning ?

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
I'm loving my e160rs..but I'm a big fan of the brand anyway coming directly from a T130rs..
Just a small point regarding the Bosch gen 4 motor one of the plus points ( which I still think is ) regarding its performance is that it gives an assisted ..small ..boost which is primarily there to get you over an obstacle on a technical climb when you need the pedals flat ..this works well..
Where this falls down slightly is on singletrack switchback climbs where the extra boost has had me off into the vegetation a couple of times so far !
I'm still working out when to back off the pedal stroke but I'm sure I'll get there in the end ?

super_claret

Aug 21, 2019
North Yorkshire
Thanks to all for the input so far. I managed to see an E150RS yesterday at my LBS and it’s a perfect fit but had a slight mark on the frame.
The manager wasn’t working so couldn’t talk figures. Going to ring them today to see if I can negotiate a discount.
The Whyte is certainly better value for money than the Specialized and the sealed bearings lifetime warranty is a plus for UK riding.
I’ve read tales of hubs failing after weeks of riding on the Spesh, can anyone comment on the hubs on the Whyte? I’m not really a components person...it all confuses me and wouldn’t know a good component from a bad one!

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
I suspect like most bikes the hubs are Novatec. I've not had an issue with them on other Whytes, rode a T130 through two wet muddy winters and they were fine, sold the bike with the original bearings. So I'm not expecting any issues.

super_claret

Aug 21, 2019
North Yorkshire
The LBS wont do a discount even though there's a substantial mark on the frame, so it's a no deal from me :(
They say they could sell the bike 10x over but I can't believe anyone would buy it with such a mark on the paintwork without a discount! Probably wait until after Xmas now, as I can't find any stock anywhere.

Maybe it's a sign!

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
Seller's market, unfortunately, so not surprised they won't discount it. My LBS reckons they have sold all their 2021 Whyte allocation, and are taking deposits for the next versions already. If this continues we're going to end up in a situation where every year, most of the stock is already sold.

Last edited:

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
i started a thread called 'First Experience Whyte E160s', that may be of interest for you. Also includes a lot of discussion on sizing.

As you'll see in the thread 'Pedal a bike away' in the Forest of Dean hire out the E150 and E160 models.

When I took mine in for the shake down service I was chatting to the mechanic. He said they have been very reliable even in the bike hire domain. He did, however, comment that they had had a hub single hub failure on one of the original 150s.

Still very happy with my E 160 S - now 200 miles in. Zero issues to date, but that's what you'd hope for on a new bike.

Not light bikes though it has to be said - 25 Kg. |Don't feel it when riding, but manhandling you will feel it for sure. Don't know how that compares to the Haibike.

Don't really feel any motor resistance when pedalling in 'Off', but the heavy bike and draggy tyres are felt. Why would you pedal in 'Off'?

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
i started a thread called 'First Experience Whyte E160s', that may be of interest for you. Also includes a lot of discussion on sizing.

As you'll see in the thread 'Pedal a bike away' in the Forest of Dean hire out the E150 and E160 models.

When I took mine in for the shake down service I was chatting to the mechanic. He said they have been very reliable even in the bike hire domain. He did, however, comment that they had had a hub single hub failure on one of the original 150s.

Still very happy with my E 160 S - now 200 miles in. Zero issues to date, but that's what you'd hope for on a new bike.

Not light bikes though it has to be said - 25 Kg. |Don't feel it when riding, but manhandling you will feel it for sure. Don't know how that compares to the Haibike.

Don't really feel any motor resistance when pedalling in 'Off', but the heavy bike and draggy tyres are felt. Why would you pedal in 'Off'?

Try Ace cycles in Monmouth (same people are running Pedal a bike away). They are in the process of opening and may well have some stock

super_claret

Aug 21, 2019
North Yorkshire

Thanks for the info.

My Haibike weighs over 60 pounds, can't remember the exact weight but it's a beast. That's one area the Specialized wins hands down
it's a fair bit lighter.

I have on several occasions cycled with the motor off on flat sections because of range anxiety. Longest ride was 35miles and 3500feet
but my legs ached after that (rode quite a bit with motor off that day). I rode a Specialized Turbo Levo and it was easy to cycle with the motor off, in comparison to my Haibike. I might revisit the Levo SL and hire that for a day. Love the weight of that and it pedals like a normal bike with motor off.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
I was torn between a Whyte and a Turbo Levo Comp. What clinched it was:
- Dreadful cable routing on the Whyte, internal and external. The Levo IDs as clean as a whistle
- PITA to remove battery on the Whyte, charging in situ not then an option. The Levo IDs a doddle
- No Whyte LBS, excellent Specialized LBS 20 mins away
- Excellent VFM on the Levo Comp

super_claret

Aug 21, 2019
North Yorkshire
@super_claret I think my dealer in Whaley Bridge in the Peak District has. 160S in medium in the window, may be worth a call to them.

Bike Factory 01663 735020

Tried them thanks but they can't deliver as they don't have the box. Think I'm going to sit on it and not rush in. I'd prefer to buy from LBS, just in case I have any issues. Obviously that means waiting until next year but there may also be some discounts available if stock levels rise.

GANI

May 16, 2020
Northern Ireland
I have been trying to get a E160 since it came out but because I am in NI theres only 2 dealers and one isn't really interested in bring it in as they are flat out selling treks etc. The other is getting some mid dec they say.

There is a levo dealer close by who said they have stock of levos coming end of Oct and to be honest I might just get one of them as I can't be assed waiting to Dec to maybe find out they they are either sold out or not getting them. I don't want to risk online as sending it back from NI could be a pain and when you include this sea border after dec it may add even more issues.

super_claret

Aug 21, 2019
North Yorkshire
I have been trying to get a E160 since it came out but because I am in NI theres only 2 dealers and one isn't really interested in bring it in as they are flat out selling treks etc. The other is getting some mid dec they say.

There is a levo dealer close by who said they have stock of levos coming end of Oct and to be honest I might just get one of them as I can't be assed waiting to Dec to maybe find out they they are either sold out or not getting them. I don't want to risk online as sending it back from NI could be a pain and when you include this sea border after dec it may add even more issues.

I have the option of a 2020 Turbo Levo Expert Carbon at a discounted price (which includes the 4 year motor warranty) but it's just lacquered carbon and the paintwork looks dreadful...or pay full price for the Whyte E150RS which has a paint blemish (the shop managers words). The only alternative is to wait until next year but the earliest dates I've seen at some suppliers is March and even as long as June!!!!! I don't think my wallet will resist for that length of time and the Wife might spend it on home improvements :unsure:

super_claret

Aug 21, 2019
North Yorkshire
Just read an article about Bosch Gen 4 motor and it mentioned a noise when freewheeling over rough terrain, not unlike a bad chain slap! Has anyone noticed this on the Whyte and how bad is it?

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Just read an article about Bosch Gen 4 motor and it mentioned a noise when freewheeling over rough terrain, not unlike a bad chain slap! Has anyone noticed this on the Whyte and how bad is it?

I dont have a whyte - I have an orbea wild fs, but it has the same motor as the whyte. The motor does have a noise/rattle when freewheeling over rough terrain, but you have to be really listening for it to notice it amongst all the other noises from the tyres, suspension, ground moving that you get when bashing down a rough descent. Its such a non issue (for me anyway) I'm not sure why it keeps getting raised.

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
It seems a widely reported issue, although I have to say my e160 doesn’t do it. Or not so much that I’ve noticed at any rate.

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
Its such a non issue (for me anyway)

Agreed. It's more a knock on my Whyte when coasting, but the stones and muck pinging off my front fender is much more noticeable. I do hear it on a nice grass descent I have here down into the valley.

Last edited:

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
i must have read the same article. when i looked for the noise on my next ride on the Whyte it was there, but I hadn't even noticed it before. There is a video on this website that includes a recording of the noises from all the motors.

GANI

May 16, 2020
Northern Ireland
I have the option of a 2020 Turbo Levo Expert Carbon at a discounted price (which includes the 4 year motor warranty) but it's just lacquered carbon and the paintwork looks dreadful...or pay full price for the Whyte E150RS which has a paint blemish (the shop managers words). The only alternative is to wait until next year but the earliest dates I've seen at some suppliers is March and even as long as June!!!!! I don't think my wallet will resist for that length of time and the Wife might spend it on home improvements :unsure:

To be honest i wasn't impressed with Whyte as I did ring them but they didn't see any interesting to trying to even get a bike over for me to NI. I know the dealer has been trying from release to get one and just got told they wont know when stock arrives. Seems they are not really interested in NI!

Thing is if the levo doesn't pan out and the 160 at dec does I will still get it haha

GANI

May 16, 2020
Northern Ireland
So I rang the LSB who said the levos would be coming end of Oct and got told it will be end of Dec for some and end of Jan 2021 for more stock.

At a total loss on what to do now. Should I wait until the whyte is in stock in the LSB mid dec or just order the E150RS which is in stock on Leisure Lake Bikes and if I get issues with the motor take it to a bosh service centre!

super_claret

Aug 21, 2019
North Yorkshire
So I rang the LSB who said the levos would be coming end of Oct and got told it will be end of Dec for some and end of Jan 2021 for more stock.

At a total loss on what to do now. Should I wait until the whyte is in stock in the LSB mid dec or just order the E150RS which is in stock on Leisure Lake Bikes and if I get issues with the motor take it to a bosh service centre!

Not if I get there first?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles