Whyte E160RS rear mudguard problems

Gmt

Nov 21, 2020
Carnforth
Hi I have fitted a mudhugger rear mudguard to my Whyte E160Rs but it creates a large gap because of the suspension design. Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas of any kind of additional deflector I could fit or has anyone tried a different mudguard. I have added an addition deflector on top of the suspension linkage but that he made no difference.

Many thanks

George

20201218_132820.jpg

Wilko58

Nov 24, 2020
Chorley
Hi I have fitted a mudhugger rear mudguard to my Whyte E160Rs but it creates a large gap because of the suspension design. Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas of any kind of additional deflector I could fit or has anyone tried a different mudguard. I have added an addition deflector on top of the suspension linkage but that he made no difference.

Many thanks

George

View attachment 47571
I added a mudhugger front like this

20201212_100210.jpg

Gmt

Nov 21, 2020
Carnforth
The normal one, same on the front

View attachment 47587
Great thanks for that I will order one. Hopefully I can get rid of the mud which is hard to avoid at the moment. Are you enjoying your whyte having a great time on mine and realised what I have been missing on my analogue bike. They are heavy though. Best wishes for Christmas and New Year and hope we can get out of tier 3 so I can get back into Cumbria and Yorkshire dales.

Wilko58

Nov 24, 2020
Chorley
I am, although not ridden it much, had to wait 2 weeks for Invisframe to be fitted (they didn't have kit for a small) and then I upgraded to Kiox but had to wait for a new grommet! I need to find some new routes though as my usual ones have at of kissing gates which is easy with a normal mtb but as you say these are heavy! Enjoy!

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
EMF ..has coupled two together on his e150rs ..Im sure he will point you in the right direction..
Yes I’ve coupled a couple of rear mudguards together. I used a MuckY Nutz front guard. Firstly I cut off the part of the guard that attaches to the fork leg along the contour line to give a neat overall shape. Also I faffed on a bit at the pivot bearing end so as to cut the sides off the bottom part of the mudguard so that it went below the pivot bearing that way no crud builds up around it. I drilled holes in the guard so as to fix it to the upper chain stay brace to hold it in place. The guard follows the wheel 150mm. This is going to stay on the bike.
the Mudhugger is flexible enough to fit over this and is secured in the normal way. Just take your time and remember......measure twice, cut once. Cheers ?

Tribey

Jan 1, 2019
South Devon, UK
Same here, 2 at the rear, large MH and a FRX front under it. A couple of extra holes in the FRX to cable tie it to the cross brace, and it continues down to just below the swing arm. Otherwise no trimming or extra work required.
I've mounted the MH a bit high, so I had to place a piece of tape over the underside join of the two guards, but you can't see it.
It's about riding, not what it looks like. Keeps my back clean, and no kilo of mud on the pivot.

Whyte e-150rs MH rear FRX front1.jpg

Gmt

Nov 21, 2020
Carnforth
Same here, 2 at the rear, large MH and a FRX front under it. A couple of extra holes in the FRX to cable tie it to the cross brace, and it continues down to just below the swing arm. Otherwise no trimming or extra work required.
I've mounted the MH a bit high, so I had to place a piece of tape over the underside join of the two guards, but you can't see it.
It's about riding, not what it looks like. Keeps my back clean, and no kilo of mud on the pivot.

View attachment 47635
Hi Thanks for that I have ordered a front mudguard so hopefully I can follow yours and Wilko,s advice looking forward to a ride without being cakes in mud. Best wishes
Yes I’ve coupled a couple of rear mudguards together. I used a MuckY Nutz front guard. Firstly I cut off the part of the guard that attaches to the fork leg along the contour line to give a neat overall shape. Also I faffed on a bit at the pivot bearing end so as to cut the sides off the bottom part of the mudguard so that it went below the pivot bearing that way no crud builds up around it. I drilled holes in the guard so as to fix it to the upper chain stay brace to hold it in place. The guard follows the wheel 150mm. This is going to stay on the bike.
the Mudhugger is flexible enough to fit over this and is secured in the normal way. Just take your time and remember......measure twice, cut once. Cheers ?
Hi EMF Thanks for your info sounds like a good idea. Best wishes

Tribey

Jan 1, 2019
South Devon, UK

View attachment 47635
Actually I might have drilled some more holes in the FRx so that the rear MD cables ties went through both guards. It's been on for more than 12 months, I don't even take if off in the summer. The white marks on the FRX are where I thought I'd have to trim the guard for chain clearance, but it clears fine.
Whyte e-150rs MH rear FRX front1a.jpg

Gmt

Nov 21, 2020
Carnforth
Actually I might have drilled some more holes in the FRx so that the rear MD cables ties went through both guards. It's been on for more than 12 months, I don't even take if off in the summer. The white marks on the FRX are where I thought I'd have to trim the guard for chain clearance, but it clears fine.
View attachment 47636
Thanks for the additional information that will be most helpful. Best wishes. George

Rik08

Jan 9, 2021
Leamington
Great article, cheers guys following with interest, anything to help keep motor area cleaner during UK winter weather !
not bothered about my back getting dirty, so would just the front (lower) guard be enough or do I need both ?
cheers Rik

Wilko58

Nov 24, 2020
Chorley
I've done the same as @Tribey and will be adding some extra zip ties that go through both the guards where they meet as the legs on the FRX do bulge out a bit towards the tyre.
As for the FRX being enough to keep your back and dropper post clean, it might keep the latter clean but not your back - you can always add the XL later.
Just in case it isn't clear don't put any zip ties around the bottom of the FRX and bottom axle bolt as that would restrict movement.

Gmt

Nov 21, 2020
Carnforth
Following on from E160RS rear mudguard problems. After making the modifications as suggested I found I was still getting coated in mud so I have added a mudhugger extender which seems to have solved the problem.

Wilko58

Nov 24, 2020
Chorley
I think you must have originally bought the shorter rear Mudhugger as the one I've got, the XL, almost overhangs the wheel on my e-160s and I've not had any mud on my back since fitting it. Good that it's been solved with the extender.

Rik08

Jan 9, 2021
Leamington

Many thanks

George

View attachment 47571
Get the SICOMP one, perfect fit with loads of clearance, worth the extra £

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles