Whyte E160RS - couple of questions

jonl217

Jul 1, 2019
Staffordshire
Hi guys.
Had my first ride out on my 160RS the weekend. Didn't stop smiling the whole way round!
Couple of questions -
1. I am trying to lose the back pack for shorter rides. I've ordered a fidlock 450ml bottle kit.
Can you show me your on bike pictures for carrying spares / tools
(I have a BC strap fitted to the seat rails but not convinced!). Wanted the Dakine hot lap gripper but they all seem to be out of stock.
2. Has anyone put a spare inner tube inside the battery cover? Any issues? (Randomly thought of it earlier!)
3. Leaving the battery in the bike in an unheated garage? Read to charge it to 80% if leaving for longer than a week etc and don't charge in the cold. Any other useful tips / hacks?

Thanks in advance!
20201227_132234.jpg

Wilko58

Nov 24, 2020
Chorley
I've not done it but a couple of people store a tube inside the battery compartment. There's also a tool that fits on the steerer tube (top or bottom) and also in handlebar ends. I fitted a Whyte bottle holder but can't get to the charging port so it's coming off. Other than that a bum bag?

Wilko58

Nov 24, 2020
Chorley
I should add that I'm tubeless and carry a CO2 pump, Stan's Darts, a small bottle of Stan's Sealant, a QuickTime and a multitool in the back pocket of my jacket. I don't yet go far enough to take a drink but have got a water backpack ready.

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
i have an evoc trail backpack mainly for the extra back protection it offers, it can use a hydration pack but i find i just take a lucozade sized bottle, spare inner tube, shock pump and tyre pump with me on most rides in the bag leaving space for gloves/waterproof jacket. I have a tool caddy thing that sits in the bottle holder that has my multitool, some power links, shop towel and a few other little bits that could get me out of trouble when i venture further from home.

It already felt justified as i was able to help a friend out when their chain snapped mid ride.

I don't like to carry loads with me but i'd rather carry a little extra and not need it than go out on a long ride and regret not taking it.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
I carry almost everything mentioned above ..one thing I've noticed that hasn't been mentioned is a first aid kit ..does nobody bother?
I do find the field surgeon table a little cumbersome at times but one never knows when it might be needed ?
Seriously though..a small basic kit is always in my back pack along with a packable thermal blanket .
The weight of my pack also varies between seasons ..I carry loads more fluid in my camelbak in the summer months and have seen the effect of de-hydration at first hand on long full day rides ..
Like I've already said ..I ride prepared for the worst ..the times I havent almost always catch me out .

Old Nog

Jun 15, 2020
Cumbria
Always take a backpack (you'll soon not even notice your carrying one) along with some basic spares, inc tube, pump, Torx and Allen keys, mini lights, latex gloves (tubeless fluid is messy), mobile phone etc..
Yes also carry a First Aid Kit and blanket...! Believe me, having lost my father in a crash mtbing, things can go wrong very quickly... carry some basic first aid!!!!!

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Always take a backpack (you'll soon not even notice your carrying one) along with some basic spares, inc tube, pump, Torx and Allen keys, mini lights, latex gloves (tubeless fluid is messy), mobile phone etc..
Yes also carry a First Aid Kit and blanket...! Believe me, having lost my father in a crash mtbing, things can go wrong very quickly... carry some basic first aid!!!!!
I'm sure that you realise that my " like" was for the advice you gave ..
Really sorry to hear about your father...

St4nley

Subscriber
Nov 17, 2020
Derbyshire
Always have a first aid kit with us, have used it a few times on ourselves but also other riders we have come across who have had an accident and have been very grateful, mainly at Trail centres I might add.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I dont have a whyte, but I try and carry as little as possible, this is my normal day to day ride set up:-

- Attached the bottle holder bosses are a jetvalve co2 canister holder holding 2 co2 canisters, plus a fidlock bottle holder (but I dont take the bottle on normal rides)
- Taped to the inside of the battery cover are some tubeless tyre repair plugs, and a couple of cable ties
- In my pocket is a lezyne multitool, which has a co2 chuck, chainbreaker, and spare quick links amongst the usual allen keys etc

And thats it for short rides.

For longer rides I take the fidlock 450ml water bottle, plus I have a backpack with spare derailer hanger, spare tubes, mountain morph pump, brake pads, gear cable, various spare bolts etc

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
I carry almost everything mentioned above ..one thing I've noticed that hasn't been mentioned is a first aid kit ..does nobody bother?
I do find the field surgeon table a little cumbersome at times but one never knows when it might be needed ?
Seriously though..a small basic kit is always in my back pack along with a packable thermal blanket .
The weight of my pack also varies between seasons ..I carry loads more fluid in my camelbak in the summer months and have seen the effect of de-hydration at first hand on long full day rides ..
Like I've already said ..I ride prepared for the worst ..the times I havent almost always catch me out .
...and your progress has been remarkable ..
I really do think after a few more puddles you will be ready for a full scuba outfit with oxygen tanks and everyfink..?
luurrrrv it mate ???

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
I've ordered one of these for a £10 punt.

nosuchuser

Jun 10, 2020
London
2020-11-22 11.39.25 (2).jpg

Dakine Hot laps gripper with multitool, chain tool, couple of co2 canisters and head, spare links, pair of levers, couple of patches, plasters and antiseptic wipes, space blanket, bit of cash just in case to either repair tube or buy crisps.
Wedges in between the top and down tubes nicely, very secure. Might get a 1 litre drybag to replace the ziploc baggie that's keeping everything dry at the moment but no rush.

Spare inner tube (27.5 that came fitted, now tubeless) stashed in the battery cover. Bit of a squeeze but no issue. Did look at the tubolito tubes but a bit expensive and fragile.

Whyte side loading bottle cage. Whyte bottle because Whyte.

Might get some tubeless plug things to go in the bar ends at some point, I think any cage that has tool storage behind it will foul the charging port.

Am backpack free now, happy days. Might go back to a hydration pack or a hip pack in the summer but riding Surrey Hills, never really that far from the car to go back and refill water bottle.

Edit - probably a better picture, pre mud!
2020-11-22 09.37.50.jpg

jonl217

Jul 1, 2019
Staffordshire
View attachment 48904

Dakine Hot laps gripper with multitool, chain tool, couple of co2 canisters and head, spare links, pair of levers, couple of patches, plasters and antiseptic wipes, space blanket, bit of cash just in case to either repair tube or buy crisps.
Wedges in between the top and down tubes nicely, very secure. Might get a 1 litre drybag to replace the ziploc baggie that's keeping everything dry at the moment but no rush.

Spare inner tube (27.5 that came fitted, now tubeless) stashed in the battery cover. Bit of a squeeze but no issue. Did look at the tubolito tubes but a bit expensive and fragile.

Might get some tubeless plug things to go in the bar ends at some point, I think any cage that has tool storage behind it will foul the charging port.

Am backpack free now, happy days. Might go back to a hydration pack or a hip pack in the summer but riding Surrey Hills, never really that far from the car to go back and refill water bottle.

View attachment 48905
Brillant, thanks for the pictures! Now to find a hot lapper gripper instock somewhere!!

Thanks again

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
View attachment 48904

View attachment 48905

What rear mudguard is that?

nosuchuser

Jun 10, 2020
London
What rear mudguard is that?

Just a mucky nutz short mug guard repurposed for the rear. Had to trim it a little to make sure it won't foul the chain and drilled a few holes to line up with the seat stay brace. Keeps the linkage clean-ish. The arse, not so much!

nosuchuser

Jun 10, 2020
London
If anyone is looking for value tool storage bottle and side access bottle cage, look at Planet-X / On-One

The side access cage is identical to the Whyte, just sans logo (is the logo worth £10?)

Well, I do need one for my new Vitus Sommet, Planet X fits in with the value theme :LOL:

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
If anyone is looking for value tool storage bottle and side access bottle cage, look at Planet-X / On-One

The side access cage is identical to the Whyte, just sans logo (is the logo worth £10?)

I built an OnOne Deedar from scratch with a Nukeproof finishing kit, great bike..... no nonsense value for money stuff

CFD4A146-7192-4F08-A7CE-44EAAA3BC34C.jpeg

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK

Yes the logo is worth £10! We need the logo!:LOL:

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
What is the weight of that roll up pack ? Looks very compact.

Description:

WEST BIKING Mountain Road Bike Front Tube Bag Waterproof Bicycle Handlebar Frame Pannier Pouch Cycling Equipment
Specification:
Brand: WEST BIKING
Material: Wear-resistant and tear-resistant polyester
Weight: About 93g
Size: Approx 25*9cm/9.84*3.54in
Capacity: About 2L
Use: Bicycle front bag
Suitable for: bicycles, mountain bikes, road bikes, etc

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
Description:

WEST BIKING Mountain Road Bike Front Tube Bag Waterproof Bicycle Handlebar Frame Pannier Pouch Cycling Equipment
Specification:
Brand: WEST BIKING
Material: Wear-resistant and tear-resistant polyester
Weight: About 93g
Size: Approx 25*9cm/9.84*3.54in
Capacity: About 2L
Use: Bicycle front bag
Suitable for: bicycles, mountain bikes, road bikes, etc
Cheers ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles