Whyte e150s

Bobman

Feb 21, 2019
Teesside
First ride out today and loved it. Much more of a bike than I am a rider but I am hoping to catch up. Climbs well, very stable, was able to point and go at the drop offs and descents. 20 miles round Hamsterley 2700 feet of climbing and only just dropped down to 2 bars, so should be able to do 35 miles as I get fitter. Oh, and it looks even better than you can imagine.

DSC_0023.JPG

Bobman

Feb 21, 2019
Teesside
Not been a problem so far, I might have to work on my bunny hops to avoid grinding them on rocks and roots. I think you would have to be really unlucky to snag a branch on the cables. Because they are flexible it's a reasonable option as opposed to having them fixed. I'm sure if there are many complaints Whyte will come up with a solution, but so far so good.

Jezzer

Oct 25, 2018
Hampshire
Picked up my 150 RS last week but only just been able to get out on its and it was great!
Having come from a Levo FSR there are some differences.
The 150 is certainly more playful and agile, going through some twisty stuff it was really easy to throw around and maintain speed.
Grip on the standard tyres on both is increased and more progressive than the Levo. I prefer the 27.5 wheels as well.
With the handling and grip it meant a quicker more involving riding.
I may have dialled in the suspension better but it feels slightly different and it feels a little more progressive. That may just be new bike feel!
EMTB mode is great, just select it and ride, it makes the bike really easy to use and it chooses the best output.
Motor is noisier on full chat but it’s not noisy by any means.
On the flat road sections the Levo is quicker, a mate riding with me was able to sustain speed better. I am recovering from an accident so I have lost a lot of fitness so that may not help.
Both great bikes and IMO the Whyte has it slightly overall for involvement and entertainment.

Tribey

Jan 1, 2019
South Devon, UK
The earlier E-150RS had the rear brake hose and magnet sensor wire running down low under the bottom bracket, the later bikes have the sensor wire coming out of the left motor casing and looks much neater.

I don't think I'll be trial riding like Dougie Lampkin, so I don't think it's routing will be an issue for me.

Jhomen

Jan 12, 2020
South-Karelia, Finland
Hi,

My Whyte e-150s is on its way. I was in contact with the local dealer and I was allowed to participate in wire re-routing (Which they do for the new bikes before handing it to customers). I will take some pictures and make a tutorial how to re-route the wires so it wouldn't be much of hazzle under the bottom bracket. If someone wants to have a little DIY with their Whytes. Its a superb looking bike!

Also I'm about to change the cockpit to the bike. I ordered a Pacenti Pdent stem and bar combo and will share some thoughts about the super short stem and how it affects the steering. Also probably try out different tyres. One question about tire clearance. Have anybody tried if 3.0" Nobby Nics fit in? I would love to find tanwall tires (selection sucks at the moment and in Finland the Maxxiss compound gets too hard during winter) for the bike also Vittorias with anthracite coloured sidewalls would look good in my opinion.

Here's a link to Pacenti Pdent review for those who are not familiar with it:
Pacenti PDent handlebar and stem review - MBR

Cheers!
Joni

Ndp78

Apr 21, 2020
Bedfordshire
Here is an example of how the lbs have routed the cables. It requiers a small hole/dent on the left foot side of the motor. New 2021 models should have cable routing sorted. This is not my bike, I'm about to do my cable routing on upcoming weeks when I have a day off.

View attachment 24763

That looks really odd, my bike had the re-route but they put the brake hose through the rear hole and moved the sensor wire out of the side.
That still left the gear cable hanging so I have done an update myself and got both the brake hose and gear cable through the rear hole, leaving nothing hanging out the bottom.

7083B0E4-4896-49D0-B088-9E426DDDAD71.jpeg

52853808-7D99-4D20-AE1E-97D1A1165C5C.jpeg

mingliu

May 23, 2020
London
That looks really odd, my bike had the re-route but they put the brake hose through the rear hole and moved the sensor wire out of the side.
That still left the gear cable hanging so I have done an update myself and got both the brake hose and gear cable through the rear hole, leaving nothing hanging out the bottom.

View attachment 29508

View attachment 29509
Great job! How easy job was it to route the gear cable? Do you have to take the motor out completely? I've just ordered the Rockguarz protector but feel your solution is much better. any problems so far?

Tribey

Jan 1, 2019
South Devon, UK
Great job! How easy job was it to route the gear cable? Do you have to take the motor out completely? I've just ordered the Rockguarz protector but feel your solution is much better. any problems so far?

I'm interested too.
I went to do the gear shifter cable re-route mod myself, but thought the feeding through the swing-arm bit looked a tough ask, so abandoned the idea. Do you have a trick for passing the cable back into/through the swing-arm?

Ndp78

Apr 21, 2020
Bedfordshire
I'm interested too.
I went to do the gear shifter cable re-route mod myself, but thought the feeding through the swing-arm bit looked a tough ask, so abandoned the idea. Do you have a trick for passing the cable back into/through the swing-arm?

Was probably the hardest part, I did remove the pivot bolt by the mech and then just fiddled a bit to get it out.

Ndp78

Apr 21, 2020
Bedfordshire
I did remove the motor fully, but others have managed it without removal, but a lot of fiddling, no way I could have with my fingers.
It’s all fairly straight forward to do, just take your time. Hardest bit was getting outer through the chainstay- took out the pivot to get a little more access.
Seen some pics of the Rockguardz cover, but offers no protection to the cable as it is cut out around it (bit of a shame really)
Only issue was cables do run close to the tyre so I add the guard to prevent possible snagging. Otherwise all good

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles