Whyte E150 rs derailleur hanger

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Hello everyone

At the weekend I went for a local ride and had an accident on my bike, a thick stick went through my back wheel and bent my derailleur right back, on closer inspection the hanger seems fine but what’s happened is the hanger fixing machine screw head has sheared off leaving the thread in the frame, I’ve tried to drill a hole into the remaining thread but it appears to be hardened, I’m wondering if this has happened to anyone else and what they did to resolve the problem, I’m hoping I don’t have to buy a new seat stay ?any help and advice would be fantastic please

Sean

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Like I said in my post the machine screw seems to be hardened steel, I tried to drill it but no joy, any other suggestions please guys

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Thanks Hobo Mikey, I didn’t realise that hardened steel could be drilled, I’ve ordered some cobalt drill bits and some Hilka damaged screw extractors from screrewfix, I only hope it works

Sean

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Unfortunately its not possible to use a pillar drill because the seat stay on Whyte bikes are too bulky and a one piece frame, thanks anyway mate, i've been in touch with Whyte to see if theres another way without having to drill the thread out, hopefully they'll get in touch soon.

Sean.

Whybro

Jun 14, 2020
Edinburgh
Hey you could try gluing another bolt of the same diameter or smaller onto the sheared bolt? Epoxy or the metal putty stuff might be strong enough to turn it out, key up the connecting surfaces with ledges as best you can so you are using metal to move metal instead of relying on the glue. you can also try scoring the top of the sheared bolt enough to get a Flathead screwdriver in there?
i hate it when this kind of issue happens! i hope you get it sorted :)

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Thanks for the suggestion mate but my seat stay is at Whyte bikes now, I spoke to one of the technical guys and they agreed to either repair it or renew it so I’m happy with the outcome so far.

Sean

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Yeah it’s still in warranty but I think it’s a bit of both really, it’s got to be said that they’ve been great for the start, superb after sales service so far, I’ll just be glad to get my bike back on the trails ?

Sean

Whybro

Jun 14, 2020
Edinburgh
Yet another instance i read online of Whyte being pretty sound with the support side of things. Heck yes dude get out and shred as soon as possible to make up for the days off haha!
Do you have any pictures of the damage on your bike btw?

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Sorry mate I didn’t think of taking any pictures of it I just stripped it down and sent it off, my bad ☺️

NigelP

Nov 6, 2021
Bristol
I am a little late to this group, however I have just had the same problem with a successful outcome. My mech hanger failed on my 4th ride out on my Whyte e160rs (from new). It happened when I changed down in Tour mode. There was no impact. The head of the fixing screw went with the mech hanger.

I tried drifting the remaining shaft out with a centre punch but this failed because the screw is too small.

I then punched the centre of the screw shaft with a sharp punch. I have a Makita right angled drill and I drilled down a couple of mm using a 1.5 M drill. I then used an Axminster wood screw remover size 0 (as shown) and to my surprise the old screw came out cleanly.

That said, I think it was 60% luck and 40% having the right tools. I would only recommend this as a last resort.

I have had three or four mech hangers fail on my Yeti over the years, but only after an impact. The screw never failed, which suggests that Whyte either have a design or quality control problem. The mech hanger is a sacrificial part. The screw is not.
C6FA2590-C3C5-4347-B0D2-E8BF96F0B613.jpeg

A8FDB314-BC32-4C9A-939D-B877228B013C.png

1D086602-E2CD-4275-9FDF-D0B3E915E0FD.png

1A0B7485-D7AE-42F2-90BA-E57B601AFFB0.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles