Whyte e-mtb

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
But Shimano's 504 watts is still less than Bosch's 601.2.
It's still a greater capacity, although granted, not the full '625'.
I'm not sure this alone would stop me buying one.

Yes, it’s more, but not as much more as Bosch are claiming. My problem is is with Bosch, not Whyte. Or Trek. Or Cube. Or anyone else who uses the Bosch motor.
As to buying one, that choice just got harder; the Levo with a true 700Wh battery and Lyrik forks is showing as £5495 RRP. That’s bordering on good value for money at last.

raymondo

Jan 17, 2019
Sussex
Ok so I go to pick it up and there’s a problem with the Lyriks and the brake hose is damaged. Forks are packing down unless the pressure is increased, which then makes them too hard. Haven’t actually taken it out the shop yet.
?
I’m sure it’ll get sorted.

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
Leisure lakes have one large and a medium e150s in there group stock,but no 150rs,they told me the e180 would be December!?,they have ordered 12 for stock though not sure if that’s group or just the derby branch I went into today....yes today instead of going Cannock on my mega I mostly spent the day driving to many cycle shops sitting on mainly 2018-19 stock bikes but nothing really felt right apart from a Kenevo but that was way too expensive for me,a focus jam2 looked promising but for a large felt tiny and I wasn’t struck on the Magura mt5 levers...oh well?

Sam E180

Aug 20, 2019
Barnsley
December :eek:
It had better be worth the wait. I’ve never waited for a bike in my life.
Ordered nearly four weeks ago, hoping for at least a delivery date soon :p
Crossing fingers and toes the new kenevo doesn’t cause me any buyers remorse :unsure:

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
December :eek:
It had better be worth the wait. I’ve never waited for a bike in my life.
Ordered nearly four weeks ago, hoping for at least a delivery date soon :p
Crossing fingers and toes the new kenevo doesn’t cause me any buyers remorse :unsure:
I think you will get yours sooner buddy,whyte I believe get them to the customers before group stock which is great,just not so great if you want to swing a leg over one?I’m going to give CRC and Canyon three weeks,if a new sommet or e-torque(wishful I know)hasn’t emerged I’m going to join the queue for an e-180?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
So I put some time in on the 150 RS - no trail riding, but got to put the motor through its paces, and check out the general build quality. They have clearly put a lot of thought into the design and spec, with everything beefed up where it needs to be, and easily accessible.

The bike rides very nicely and I instantly felt at home on it, it is easy enough to flick around for an EMTB, you can definitely feel how the weight placement has paid dividends as its easy to get the front end up and bunny hop. The bike feels very well put together, and its hard to fault anything spec wise on the RS, there's nothing that needs upgrading on it IMO out the box, save for the contact points being changed to an owners personal preference. Was definitely a bike you could tell from the first few pedal strokes will be a lot of fun to ride.

The motor is interesting - this is the second Gen 4 Bosch bike I have ridden, the other being the new Focus Jam. Its a huge improvement over the older Bosch system, there is no noticeable resistance past the power assistance cut off, and its very smooth to ride. Noise is hard to describe, its not noisy but kind of an electrical whine, I would say quieter than a Shimano, but its a totally different noise. When backpedaling you hear what I assume are the pawls or similar in the motor engaging , and I would assume that if descending and rocking on the pedals you would hear this noise.

The biggest thing for me is the amount of overrun on the motor when initialising pedalling - i.e the motor continues supplying power to the drivetrain for a bit after you stop peddling. Its better than the older Bosch, but still noticeable if coming off a Shimano - IMO one of the best things about the Shimano is how natural it feels, because it doesn't do this.

TBH I find it very hard to tell the difference between most of the current motors, they all do the same thing very well nowadays, and reliability, user customisation, and user interface would sway me on choosing a motor over power outputs etc. The Gen 4 works well, and doesn't have obvious traits that would be annoying day to day, and the overrun thing is something others like.

The main point I would make about the bike, is that whilst you can remove the battery, the bike is not designed to do this on a regular basis - this is definitely a bike where you are going to want to be able to charge it where you keep it. it is a PITA to take it out, and probably a 5 - 10 minute job if you want to do it properly with risking damaging any cabling.

Firstly although you probably can take the battery out with the bike turned upside down, I couldn't, because there is no way to pull it out without IMO risking damaging the connectors and wiring, and we had to flip the bike onto its back wheel to get the battery to slide out one I had disconnected the wiring.

Ideally you would put it on a workstand, remove the bash guard, which is held I place with a bolt, then you have to remove another bolt under that which releases the "cap" which holds the battery in the down tube, but also connects the battery to the motor cables. You then have to move this out of the way and slide the battery out. The bolt at the top of the downtube merely holds the top of the battery in place, preventing it sliding too far up the down tube.

The cabling from the motor to battery, and the whole assembly of the battery holder etc in the downtube is designed in such a way that it is clearly not meant to be removed on a regular basis, and I would be worried about damaging this wiring by removing the battery too often. You also have to ensure that all the internal routing it clear of the battery when you put it back in, as unless its in the channel on the top of the downtube it gets in the way.

Anyway from my brief ride I would say definitely a welcome addition to the EMTB market, not a bike for anyone who needs to remove the battery easily/regularly, and I cant wait to take one for a proper ride as it was a bike that encourage you to play around on, and I suspect will be a proper weapon on the trails.

IMG_8064.jpeg

IMG_8071.jpeg

IMG_8068.jpeg

IMG_8069.jpeg

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
So I put some time in on the 150 RS - no trail riding, but got to put the motor through its paces, and check out the general build quality. They have clearly put a lot of thought into the design and spec, with everything beefed up where it needs to be, and easily accessible.

The bike rides very nicely and I instantly felt at home on it, it is easy enough to flick around for an EMTB, you can definitely feel how the weight placement has paid dividends as its easy to get the front end up and bunny hop. The bike feels very well put together, and its hard to fault anything spec wise on the RS, there's nothing that needs upgrading on it IMO out the box, save for the contact points being changed to an owners personal preference. Was definitely a bike you could tell from the first few pedal strokes will be a lot of fun to ride.

The motor is interesting - this is the second Gen 4 Bosch bike I have ridden, the other being the new Focus Jam. Its a huge improvement over the older Bosch system, there is no noticeable resistance past the power assistance cut off, and its very smooth to ride. Noise is hard to describe, its not noisy but kind of an electrical whine, I would say quieter than a Shimano, but its a totally different noise. When backpedaling you hear what I assume are the pawls or similar in the motor engaging , and I would assume that if descending and rocking on the pedals you would hear this noise.

The biggest thing for me is the amount of overrun on the motor when initialising pedalling - i.e the motor continues supplying power to the drivetrain for a bit after you stop peddling. Its better than the older Bosch, but still noticeable if coming off a Shimano - IMO one of the best things about the Shimano is how natural it feels, because it doesn't do this.

TBH I find it very hard to tell the difference between most of the current motors, they all do the same thing very well nowadays, and reliability, user customisation, and user interface would sway me on choosing a motor over power outputs etc. The Gen 4 works well, and doesn't have obvious traits that would be annoying day to day, and the overrun thing is something others like.

The main point I would make about the bike, is that whilst you can remove the battery, the bike is not designed to do this on a regular basis - this is definitely a bike where you are going to want to be able to charge it where you keep it. it is a PITA to take it out, and probably a 5 - 10 minute job if you want to do it properly with risking damaging any cabling.

Firstly although you probably can take the battery out with the bike turned upside down, I couldn't, because there is no way to pull it out without IMO risking damaging the connectors and wiring, and we had to flip the bike onto its back wheel to get the battery to slide out one I had disconnected the wiring.

Ideally you would put it on a workstand, remove the bash guard, which is held I place with a bolt, then you have to remove another bolt under that which releases the "cap" which holds the battery in the down tube, but also connects the battery to the motor cables. You then have to move this out of the way and slide the battery out. The bolt at the top of the downtube merely holds the top of the battery in place, preventing it sliding too far up the down tube.

The cabling from the motor to battery, and the whole assembly of the battery holder etc in the downtube is designed in such a way that it is clearly not meant to be removed on a regular basis, and I would be worried about damaging this wiring by removing the battery too often. You also have to ensure that all the internal routing it clear of the battery when you put it back in, as unless its in the channel on the top of the downtube it gets in the way.

Anyway from my brief ride I would say definitely a welcome addition to the EMTB market, not a bike for anyone who needs to remove the battery easily/regularly, and I cant wait to take one for a proper ride as it was a bike that encourage you to play around on, and I suspect will be a proper weapon on the trails.

View attachment 18187

View attachment 18190

View attachment 18191

View attachment 18192

Great write up and heads up buddy?

Sam E180

Aug 20, 2019
Barnsley
Yeah seconded, cheers for taking the time to write up (y)

I can see what you mean about the battery removal, looks a PITA. :( Not a job I’d want to be doing in a muddy car park at night.

As long as it rides as good as it looks then I can forgive a few foibles.

Tribey

Jan 1, 2019
South Devon, UK
Yes, thanks for the update.

I'd be charging mine with the battery fitted, in my garage, so that's not an issue for me.
Good to hear the Gen4 motor is not 'noisey' per say. I'm not sure what to think about the 'overun' without experiencing it.
Trying out a mates Trek with the previous gen motor in EMTB mode, I was caught out a couple of times by the instant drive it gave as you started pedalling.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Just to be clear I only rode it around a local park, including some steep hills but not on anything remotely trail like - I was primarily interested in what the bike would be like to own and live with, so was concentrating on the things that once the new bike feeling has worn out you would be focused on - the fact it will rip on the trails is pretty much a given, and I really liked they way it felt.

From my fiddling it also looked like a pretty easy bike to work on, service, change brakes, dropper cabling etc, which is not a given on most EMTB's.

The overrun isn't a negative, its just not something I look for in a motor, whereas I know others like it - it would in no way put me off buying the bike.

The one thing about the Bosch systems is the continued lack of ability to tune the assistance levels, and indeed the feeling of how the motor kicks in, via an app. I dont mind the controllers, they works well, and look a lot smaller in the flesh than they do in photos - they do need something more in line with what rivals offer, but they do the job well, just look basic.

57 Reaction

May 27, 2019
United Kingdom
Which shop has the demo?

Pedals - Ferndown Dorset. E150s medium.

35 mile demo ride today over a good mix of terrain + some decent climbs.

This is a very good bike with a very quiet motor, it stays true to Whyte's ability to make bikes that really handle, had an absolute blast.

...........just need to shake the piggy bank and see if close to £5k in loose change falls out.

conman

Jun 1, 2019
Keswick
The one thing about the Bosch systems is the continued lack of ability to tune the assistance levels

I think you will have this ability but it won't be cheap. With the Nyon Display "You can modify the riding modes individually with an additional premium function"

Tribey

Jan 1, 2019
South Devon, UK
I cannot see a cost involved in obtaining the 'premium feature'

from the webpage Nyon: the on-board computer with navigation for eBikes
and also with the 'ebike connect app' from the Google Play store
the instructions Bosch eBike Connect - das Nyon-Portal für Navigation und Fitness say ...
The premium feature "Individual Driving Modes" allows Nyon owners to tune four additional driving modes themselves. After purchasing via the shop in the eBike Connect app, you will find the settings in the eBike Connect app and in the online portal ( www.ebike-connect.com ) under "Settings> Individual driving modes".
Each of the four driving modes can be defined via five control points in the ratio "% support from the engine" at "km / h speed". Switching from standard modes to individual driving modes is done via the submenu in operating mode "Ride". Previously blue elements are colored yellow. While driving, switching between the individual driving modes is carried out as usual using the "plus" and "minus" buttons on the control unit. To return to the standard driving modes, select the sub-function "Standard modes".
Take a look at our tutorial "Individual Driving Modes".

Maybe I have to have the bike, and connect the app to the bike before the 'shop' becomes available.

Tribey

Jan 1, 2019
South Devon, UK
It does look like I have to connect the app to my bike, in order to get to the 'shop' tab.

still no idea of cost though.

I've just noticed the Whyte comes with the Bosch Purion display, these features are with the Nyon display:unsure:

Last edited:

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
I pick up my E-150 RS tonight after work, today is going to be a long drag.
Brilliant I bet you’re buzzing!?Let us know you’re thoughts on it,I’m kind of on the fence if to wait for the e180rs or a e150rs,I mostly do trail and the odd BPW/stile cop so weighing up which discipline to compromise,currently running an analogue with 180mm front and 165mm rear which feels hard work around trails but great for DH

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles