Whyte e-mtb

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
How's the MoCo performing? Can you actually notice any changes you make to it?

Smiffy

Jun 9, 2020
Bristol
Hello all,

First post as a noob to the forum. This thread is at least part of the reason for joining, and finally deciding to order a Whyte E 150 S.

I just found this video on youtube. I think the guys are polish, but there are some useful sections. Links below take you to the correct time:

EDIT: Seems as though the timestamped URLs aren't working.

Weight of the bike (Medium) - 3:10
Changing battery on the trail - 3:55

I can't wait to get out on the local trails! :)

Andy

Last edited:

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
Fucking finally, made up my mind after weeks of going back and fourth, ordered a e 180 rs.

Taking delivery in a week plus, LBS re-routing the shifter cable inside the BB.

Am beside myself with excitement!

200-2.gif

Sam E180

Aug 20, 2019
Barnsley
Fucking finally, made up my mind after weeks of going back and fourth, ordered a e 180 rs.

Yes mate ? you will love it! Glad you don’t have to wait long, I preordered one and had to wait months.
Awesome machine. Would you post up a pic of the rerouted cable please? Going to attempt this myself. I’m now on my 4th replacement ??

MadsB

May 15, 2020
London

You will not be disappointed!

Whybro

Jun 14, 2020
Edinburgh
i just got mine delivered 2 days ago. i sent an email through to the LBS with pictures and links from this forum asking if they would be kind enough to re-route the cables. They called me the next day and said recent Whytes have the bottom cables re-routed already, the break hose is now the lowest cable poking out the back of the motor location aiming at the rear tire and not the ground. i had some old carburetor drain hose that i split open and zip tied around it, was thinking maybe hot glue or some kind of caulking would give me a flexible seal to reinforce the frame grommet but i dunno, i fear more for the pedals than the hose/cables after riding about town for a day.

whyte break cable.jpg

Tribey

Jan 1, 2019
South Devon, UK
Cheers for the update.

It's the shifter cable that was the lowest (after dealer mod one) and will cop it when you drop down over rough ground/rocks. I would say those cables you've protected will be way out of the way anyway.

Have you got pics of the shifter cable routing??

And, yes, you'll have pedal strikes galore!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Credit to Whyte for jumping on this issue - wonder if they will offer it as a retofit, presume its just an amended bash guard?

Tribey

Jan 1, 2019
South Devon, UK
My Whyte dealer/LBS hjadn't heard of it last week, maybe a favour by the dealer?

I shall ask mine again. Is the shifter cable now running externally or routed through the swingarm??

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
When I get my crank off and the plastic motor cover removed I’m going to take a look and see if I can re-route the shifter cable internally, Whyte sell a range of rubber grommets on their website, apart from this I can’t fault my bike, best thing I’ve bought in years

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
yeah the speed sensor follows blue to meet up with the break hose. The shifter cable routing pokes out of a little hole drilled in the plastic and follows orange, it is really out of the way.
View attachment 33879
Any chance you could take a bigger picture showing a bit more of your bike to give me a better idea of your routing please mate, looks good, I might copy your idea ?

Last edited:

Sam E180

Aug 20, 2019
Barnsley
Had a bash at rerouting Rear mech cable myself today. A smashed up rear wheel stops actual bike play for me today. Probably took 90mins beginning to end. Saves me buying AXS!

It’s actually pretty simple to reroute, only needs motor cover taking off. Most difficult but was making room in the existing grommet which currently houses the brake hose.

It shifts cleanly, can’t tell if there is any additional friction caused by the small radius bends. Time will tell.

Yellow line is new route.
15E92F35-D7EF-4554-BE20-BEDED0994480.jpeg

Erm ?
64FDF1DF-9862-4305-BE80-E519C2604E1C.jpeg

Nothing fouls on frame.
9C9841A7-94D5-4C2D-8DCB-4384D6CD0F9D.jpeg
856FB74E-B26E-49DF-BB1F-2EC4BF435016.jpeg

Nothing is going to catch these, it works nicely at full travel too.
EDF6B2C8-1B43-4356-9C29-0B34A3CDD568.jpeg

A blob of black silicone sealant to keep it waterproof and jobs a good one I reckon.

Internal routes cables can get in the sea.

?

Tribey

Jan 1, 2019
South Devon, UK
Cheers,
Do you have a technique for steering the shifter cable through the swingarm to the exit hole? this seemed to be my stumbling block, so I reverted to standard.

Sam E180

Aug 20, 2019
Barnsley
Yeah, easier way is remove rear sus bolts (the ones next to rear axle. You can then see into the chain stay, there is a hole for the cable just inside. It’s pretty easy to manipulate a cable inner through, then follow with the outer ?

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
How did you manage to remove the plastic motor cover from your non drive side without removing the pedal crank Sam, is it different to the e150 because I couldn’t get the cover off of my bike without removing the pedal crank first, does the pedal crank have to be in a certain position please

Tribey

Jan 1, 2019
South Devon, UK
The non-drive side crank arm is a simple removal. loosen the outer 10mm Allen a bit, then undo the inner 8mm allen and it pulls the arm off, by backing the inner allen against the outer one.

Sam E180

Aug 20, 2019
Barnsley
What Tribey said ?

I didn’t remove mine, the plastic cover does for over the crank arm if you rotate it round a bit.

Hoping to get a 600lb spring this week, should sit the bike a bit higher up in its travel ?

I’m really glad I didn’t treat myself to the hope cranks, mine are completely battered now.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
What Tribey said ?

I didn’t remove mine, the plastic cover does for over the crank arm if you rotate it round a bit.

Hoping to get a 600lb spring this week, should sit the bike a bit higher up in its travel ?

I’m really glad I didn’t treat myself to the hope cranks, mine are completely battered now.

Oh right, I thought the crank arm had to be removed first, thanks for pointing that out to me mate, I’ve just ordered some new outer and inner shifter cable and a cable tensioner so hopefully mine will look the same, very much appreciated mate ?

Last edited:

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
I’ve ordered some LEX-SL jag wire outer cable which is pre-lubed and some sealed anodised cap ends from Uber-bike which should keep out any moisture and help keep everything running smoothly with the tighter radius around the chain stay link bar hopefully, just one more thing, are there any other kind of cable clips inside the frame which will make life more difficult to renew the shifter cable on my bike please

Sam E180

Aug 20, 2019
Barnsley
Hiya chaps.

If you want to go belt and braces, I guess you could remove the brake hose entirely and feed both through a new grommet. I’m not that fussed, a blob of black sealant does the job. I’m of the camp that bikes are for using not for looking at ?

Sean there’s no clips in the way, it makes total sense when you get the cover off and see for yourself, obvs removing the battery makes it easier.

Good luck! Got to love a bit of bike tinkering with a beer ?

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Hiya chaps.

If you want to go belt and braces, I guess you could remove the brake hose entirely and feed both through a new grommet. I’m not that fussed, a blob of black sealant does the job. I’m of the camp that bikes are for using not for looking at ?

Sean there’s no clips in the way, it makes total sense when you get the cover off and see for yourself, obvs removing the battery makes it easier.

Good luck! Got to love a bit of bike tinkering with a beer ?

Nice one Sam, you’re a gentleman, I’ve got plenty of booze in, once my stuff arrives I’ll get cracking on my bike, I’ve already had the battery out and was surprised how much dust the battery had on it, you’d think it would all be sealed from the outside, thanks again pal ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles