Whyte 150RS, going tubeless and suspension setup

ac505

May 22, 2020
Edinburgh
The new bike arrived and I see that there are tubeless valve stems in a box, are the wheels good to go, or do I need to change the rim tape?

I'm also wondering about suspension setup, we all know the bottom bracket is low and running 30% sag on the rear shock certainly aids pedal strikes! I was going to move to around 20-25% sag, and have a play around with the rebound settings, any input appreciated?

This is the first bike that I have owned that has low speed compression adjustment on the fork, I've set this is the middle for now, but wondering how best to tweak this for the bike.

Finally, I'm thinking about a discrete rear mudguard to help keep the motor and suspension a little cleaner, what works?? Cheers!

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
The wheels are good to go, all taped up. Throw on the valves and throw in the Stans
I made a ghetto inflator out of a coke bottle and the WTB tyre beads (on my S) cracked in first time.
Try to only break the bead on one side only, it will make that re-inflation easier.
I had a slight weep round each valve at first, but nipped them up a little tighter and they sealed up well within a couple of minutes.
I've found the best method is to inflate dry without sealant but with warm water and a smidge of washing up liquid around the bead. First remove the valve core and rub some sealant around the base of the valve from the inside, then mount the tyre. Bang it onto the rim with an Airshot or compressor and check it seats without losing air quickly from around the rim, spokes or valve - as long as it stays up reasonably for 15 mins or so you are probably good. Deflate and detach one side of the bead, add the sealant then either grab the Airshot again or add the core and pump like hell! A quick swoosh around the rim, leave overnight then mount to the bike and ride if it's nicely sealed.

Alternatively once the tyre is dry seated you can inject sealant through the valve with zero mess. I prefer this method for top ups or any time after the first fit of a tyre, though it's ia good idea to clean the inside of your valve after injection with a bit of tissue screwing int adding the core - this makes it easier to extract when you need to top up. Best of luck!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles