Why is the Rail so bloody expensive?

Santa

Oct 4, 2019
Montreal, Canada
I mean, I like the geo on this bike, it strikes a good balance as a descent smasher while maintaining good agility and lightness on the trails, but I don't understand why they are charging so much for it.

Looking at the Rail 9.7 which is about 8,500$ Canadian, for around the same price you can get the Norco Sight VLT 29 (C2). The geo is very similar, yet you'll get a Lyric Fork (instead of a Yari), a Super Deluxe shock (instead of a Deluxe) XT brakes (instead of the entry level Shimanos), XT derailler instead of a SRAM NX, great tires (DHF/DHR) instead of those light XR5 tires that you'll bust on the first tech trail.

Heck, even the Turbo Levo Carbon Comp (about the same price as the Rail 9.7) has better components (better fork, better brakes, better tires...) and a bigger battery (700 vs 630).

And we won't even begin to compare to what you get with a direct to consumer brand like YT.

So what am I missing here? I really like the Rail, but I just can't justify paying so much and getting second-grade components.

Bonefish101

May 19, 2019
Virginia, USA
I got well over $1,000 US off of the price of my 9.8. Dealers seem willing to negotiate a bit at the moment to get these moving and out there. Best money I've spent in a long time for pure fun and enjoyment.
My dealer is in Martinsburg, WV

Last edited:

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Here in the uk, I think they are good value.
I got my 9.8 for £2300 cheaper than a Levo expert which has similar components, Rails are a bit burlier.

Cliffo691

Nov 20, 2019
United Kingdom
I got 10% off my Rail 9.7 plus over £150 worth of extras.. Most comfortable and confidence inspiring bikes I've ridden. It looks awesome too with some custom Graphics..
IMG-20200223-WA0000.jpeg

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Heck, even the Turbo Levo Carbon Comp (about the same price as the Rail 9.7) has better components (better fork, better brakes, better tires...) and a bigger battery (700 vs 630).
Rail 9.8 is $9900 NZD as compared to $9700 for the Levo Comp ($13K for the carbon).
Personally I way prefer the Lyrik Select Plus on the Rail over the Revelation Charger on the Levo.
Also prefer the Shimano brakes on the Trek over the Sram on the Levo. battery wise, yes the 700Wh has more capacity, but the 630 is more than enough capacity for most.
Also think the suspension design on the Trek is better than the Speshy.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I thought my Rail 9.9 was much better equipped than a Levo S-Works, and was £500 cheaper.

I got 15% off retail. I see Rutland Cycles are now selling the 9.9 with 15% off as the price - it’s no longer a ‘special offer’.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Rail 9 top of the range in alloy I thought was well priced at 5700, minus a 10% discount at Lbs . Couldn’t have got that sort of value from commencal which used to be the best by far , in fact it cost me same money as a new vitus .
I don’t see the point in paying extra for carbon frames on ebikes and it seems that’s what your paying for on the carbon models.

skeet103

May 24, 2020
usa
To follow up on this post here in the states, while I was looking for my rail 7, there were a lot more shops that seemed to have extra rail 9's and were offering them at slight discounts

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles