Why do some people say swapping batteries with the RIB is difficult on the trail?

bikechiq

Nov 1, 2020
Littleton
I've been browsing posts, and some people say that swapping batteries is so hard on the trail and "not ideal".

Why?

In the promotional videos, it looks like it snaps on and off. What am I missing?

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Most bikes that use the Bosch system will take the "bare" Bosch battery. In some cases, the battery is not removable, or you might have to drop the motor to remove it.
If it is removable, it will slide out from the bottom of the downtube, or you will remove an access panel on the underside of the downtube.
In neither of these scenarios, is the battery quite as easy to remove as Trek's design, however the advantage is that all you need to carry is a bare battery, which is way less bulky.
With Trek's RIB design, the bare battery is screwed to two end plates. The top plate has the latch mechanism and the bottom plate has the connector. These two end plates are in turn screwed to the face plate or cover. So you end up with a quite bulky assembly, but this is what you would need to carry in order take full advantage of the convenience of this design.
You could of course just carry a bare battery, but then you have the faff of swapping over the end caps and cover, which is undesirable trail-side.
So in short, in scenarios where you need two batteries, the convenience of the RIB design is actually not very convenient.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Blimey the trek system battery hardly adds that much size to the battery , about 40 mm in length and not much at all in width with the cover which would actually give it a softer side to sit against your back in a bag . With some decent padding or protector . Would be a long day to require a second battery unless your climbing mountains , I really don’t fancy carrying a battery but I guess sometimes there is no choice if you want to do epic rides like the tour de Mont Blanc
I think I would maybe try and strap it to the frame rather than my back , but not tried that so it could be more difficult than I think

Gazzaaitken

Nov 7, 2019
Scotland
Most bikes that use the Bosch system will take the "bare" Bosch battery. In some cases, the battery is not removable, or you might have to drop the motor to remove it.
If it is removable, it will slide out from the bottom of the downtube, or you will remove an access panel on the underside of the downtube.
In neither of these scenarios, is the battery quite as easy to remove as Trek's design, however the advantage is that all you need to carry is a bare battery, which is way less bulky.
With Trek's RIB design, the bare battery is screwed to two end plates. The top plate has the latch mechanism and the bottom plate has the connector. These two end plates are in turn screwed to the face plate or cover. So you end up with a quite bulky assembly, but this is what you would need to carry in order take full advantage of the convenience of this design.
You could of course just carry a bare battery, but then you have the faff of swapping over the end caps and cover, which is undesirable trail-side.
So in short, in scenarios where you need two batteries, the convenience of the RIB design is actually not very convenient.
I don't agree with you on this one fella, I have a spare battery' with RIB fitted on it, I don't see why you would not buy the cover if you have bought the extra battery? My dealer gave me the spare battery at cost and the RIB cover for £25, the battery is hardly any bigger with the cover fitted, fits in my back protector back pack easy as well. Weights not an issue either, I have done multiple big days out with this set up, no issue what so ever. Each to there own though

GrandesRoues

Jul 26, 2019
Alpes Françaises
I have now done several rides with 2 battery, one without the cover (i haven't received it yet).
I lay down the bike on the disk side.
I remove my backpack, and lay it near the downtube.
I remove the spare batt (with the easy handle) and put it on the soil, and take out the key witch i keep attached with a cord to my backpack at all times !
I put the key in the hole with my left hand, by feeling where it is with my right hand fingers (it is on the hidden side, but this is easy if your cloves are not to big). Swap batteries using my right hand for the handle and the left for turning the key.
All in all it takes about 30s. It's a very efficient process !

At home i charge one battery on the bike, and the other outside (there are leds at the bottom with the level of charge). So i only swap battery on the trail.

I have done 2500m climbing rides. I think a third battery could be useful for approaching the 4000m climbing mark.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles