Why do people have a problem with ebikes?

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
So today, while riding through a muddy part of the forest, a runner had a problem with me riding off-road. There was plenty of space with practically no risk of colliding or interfering with each other’s activity.

I didn’t feel like arguing, as I was enjoying myself and who wants to argue about disturbed mud anyway, except he was more at risk of twisted ankle or slipping and falling in the mud, so he should be grateful that someone was at a line of sight distance.
Also, is running allowed off-road? Isn’t it damaging grass blades or something?

I concluded he must be part of mud-conservation society and wearing hi-vis jacket he had the authority to tell the bikers they shouldn’t be riding on an unmarked trail.

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
So today, while riding through a muddy part of the forest, a runner had a problem with me riding off-road. There was plenty of space with practically no risk of colliding or interfering with each other’s activity.

I didn’t feel like arguing, as I was enjoying myself and who wants to argue about disturbed mud anyway, except he was more at risk of twisted ankle or slipping and falling in the mud, so he should be grateful that someone was at a line of sight distance.
Also, is running allowed off-road? Isn’t it damaging grass blades or something?

I concluded he must be part of mud-conservation society and wearing hi-vis jacket he had the authority to tell the bikers they shouldn’t be riding on an unmarked trail.
I know what I would have said to him, but I don’t want to be banned from this forum for putting it in writing. :ROFLMAO:

Redbikejohn

Dec 25, 2019
High wycombe
I've still not taken the plunge on ebikes but I'd like one. If only they weren't as expensive as my motorbikes! I did light-heartedly poke fun at a friend who was recording rides on strava using his emtb! Bragging how far he'd gone etc. That is cheating in my mind as some people put in a lot of effort on getting a KOM by peddling. ?

DtEW

Dec 8, 2020
Bay Area, California
I've still not taken the plunge on ebikes but I'd like one. If only they weren't as expensive as my motorbikes! I did light-heartedly poke fun at a friend who was recording rides on strava using his emtb! Bragging how far he'd gone etc. That is cheating in my mind as some people put in a lot of effort on getting a KOM by peddling. ?

...unless your friend has set the ride as "E-bike" (this can be done after the ride as well), which shows a little thunderbolt icon next to the bike icon, and is treated separately from nonelectric cycling.

Honestly though... even nonelectric cycling is significantly impacted by one's choices/budget in equipment that it's hard to put much weight in these non-races that Strava conceived to drive-up traffic by getting the pettiest among us to invest so much of their ego in.

The trails are not a race, unless it's a day in which everybody has agreed is a race. Frankly, it's bizarre that people and advocacy groups have fixated on eMTBs as supposedly some source for trail conflicts, yet have mostly ignored the unofficial racing that Strava KOMs encourage.

Perhaps those most-threatened by eMTBs are precisely those who have too much ego invested in their cycling prowess?

Maybe somebody should make a Strava-like car driving "social media" site with KOR (King Of the Road, obviously) contests to illustrate the detrimental effects of incentivizing people to fixate on speed, yet expect them to unerringly make good choices for everybody on the roads (and trails).

Last edited:

RonnieX

Jul 3, 2020
Northwest
Went out this morning for a few hours. I counted over 80 other cyclists (I know, I’m quite sad!) Not one comment or remark. Instead the more usual nod when passing. And that was even from the lycra lout types out on packs dressed as Power Rangers! ;-)

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
...unless your friend has set the ride as "E-bike" (this can be done after the ride as well), which shows a little thunderbolt icon next to the bike icon, and is treated separately from nonelectric cycling.

Honestly though... even nonelectric cycling is significantly impacted by one's choices/budget in equipment that it's hard to put much weight in these non-races that Strava conceived to drive-up traffic by getting the pettiest among us to invest so much of their ego in.

The trails are not a race, unless it's a day in which everybody has agreed is a race. Frankly, it's bizarre that people and advocacy groups have fixated on eMTBs as supposedly some source for trail conflicts, yet have mostly ignored the unofficial racing that Strava KOMs encourage.

Perhaps those most-threatened by eMTBs are precisely those who have too much ego invested in their cycling prowess?

Maybe somebody should make a Strava-like car driving "social media" site with KOR (King Of the Road, obviously) contests to illustrate the detrimental effects of incentivizing people to fixate on speed, yet expect them to unerringly make good choices for everybody on the roads (and trails).
Well said and nail hit squarely on the head.
Especially the invested ego bit ?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I had never recieved any "cheat" comments on my home turf........in fact only 1 in total and that was at a trail centre.
However on my last ride....which was the compulsory ride from home, lockdown ride with a mix of road, bridleways and farm tracks, we passed ( slow and wide) a group of 3 stable lads on racehorses, at walking pace. It was on an uphill country lane section. The first 2 thanked us for passing slow and wide. and the third lad shouted out "that cheating"! I circled back ( just for fun) and said....looks to me like the horse is doing all the work here whilst you are sat on your bum! We had a laugh a bout it!! They were heading for the gallops so I offered him a race ( knowing of course I would lose, but he saw the joke!
You see, I think for some it has become the accepted thing to say the minute they spot your bike is electric and there is no malice intended.........or maybe that is just local people hereabouts!

Ro88ygh

Jan 11, 2021
Moulton Seas End, Lincolnshire
We have a fit road obsessed biker who joined us for a trail ride with his other half, about a third of the way round they told us to just go ahead without them and they'll catch up later. The following day borrowed our bikes to see what all the fuss is about.
The following week went out and spent double what we did on his first ebike and has never called us cheats since.
So I'm thinking they only call you cheats because they've never ridden one

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
I had my first shout of 'Cheater' last weekend up at Rivington Pike. Took 7 months! Yesterday we had people ask us twice about the bikes, no implication of cheating, genuine interest in them and of potentially buying one...

At least 20% of the bikes we see off road now are e-bikes. Also saw my first other eONE Sixty Limited today in same colour scheme as mine! ?

MPJ

Nov 28, 2019
Chiltern Hills, UK
I overtook 3 power rangers on the road on my way home yesterday, uphill to be fair.
They may very well have called me a cheat amongst many other things but when you have Barry Gibb at full falsetto in your ears it's of no concern... :whistle:

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
I overtook 3 power rangers on the road on my way home yesterday, uphill to be fair.
They may very well have called me a cheat amongst many other things but when you have Barry Gibb at full falsetto in your ears it's of no concern... :whistle:

What were you listening to, "Staying Alive"? ?

Reactions: MPJ

Pigin

Jul 7, 2020
Saddleworth
I’m surprised that more people are having it shouted/said at them. It might be that I will often slow down and ride with clockworkers for a short while as the bike often draws comment and conversation. If I don’t slow, I will apologise for being on my mobility scooter.

Some of my more humorous ( I won’t be doing stand up anytime soon) reposts.

“That’s cheating!” ........”At what exactly?” ........ “It could be perhaps if I had the motor on”. ..... “But loads more fun.”

“Cheater!’ ....... “Please don’t tell the wife”. ...... “Endangered species! ”

I have only every heard it said once with venom. It was when a Lycra clad roadie blew himself out passing me on a road climb. He gloated as he passed me. I was in trail mode wanting a workout. I smiled as I passed him a short time later. I luv EMTB mode me ?.

wrayb

May 9, 2019
North Carolina
When you do get a bad reaction I think it's from people that take their exercise and maybe trail access very seriously. These people take a lot of pride in smoking by anyone they can pass. I'm usually on my analog bike and I can honestly say their crappy attitude extends to everyone. And I'm not super fast, but I'm no slug either. They are smug and unfriendly. Keeping up, or passing them on an ebike makes them mad..... Because they think they outrank less fit or capable athletes. My 2

Yes. These 2 issues are very true. 1) trail access - serious trial builders are worried that Emtbs will cause issues with trail access. Mostly because of the extra speed of an Embt. More frequent and serious crashes. More incidents caused by faster riders quickly closing in on slower riders. But, how about fast riders on pedal only bikes? Same problem. Emtbs just allow slower riders to now be able to cause the same problems as fast riders on pedal only bikes. 2) ego - when a rider has trained their butt off and achieved a level of fitness and notoriety (even just locally with their friends) they get VERY perturbed when riders who haven't put the same time and effort into training blow by them on the trail. I have witnessed this. But, why would they care? Anyone on an Embt will certainly pass even the best, most fit rider on their pedal only bike. Not apples to apples. It is really an insecurity with their own abilities. A more mature pedal only rider won’t have a problem with an Emtb. In fact, many are seeing them as a new exciting challenge.

The ”fix”: dedicated Emtb clubs and trails.

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
Anyone on an Embt will certainly pass even the best, most fit rider on their pedal only bike.
Not my experience. I'm regularly passed by pedal-only bikers. Not on long hill climbs, of course, but it happens often enough to keep my humble.

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
I’ve only been called a cheat on the trails once. It was a guy on a full sus carbon Specialized. He said it with a grin on his face, so wasn’t serious.

I just said that he’s the cheat, on a lightweight bike and he should try riding my lump of an eBike switched off, which is how I ride it most of the time!

I get more comments from friends after a ride, asking how much of the ride was powered. I’ve given up trying to explain to them that you still have to actually pedal.

The best response if anyone says we’re cheating is “only if it’s switched on”. ?

Last edited:

Pistolpete

May 19, 2021
Durham England
Nice pic!

No point in searching for the reasons why... you'll just be going through the layers of an onion only to end up in the centre with nothing. Middle child syndrome, bed wetting, social injustice and resentment, testosterone depletion... why go there? Not worth your concern - enjoy your bike, life is too short to worry about where hangups originate.

I play an acoustic as well as an electric guitar. Musos never called me a cheat whenever I'm playing my e-Guitar.

My Dad used a hand-crank drill most of his life. I didn't call him a cheat when he finally bought his first e-Drill.

When I was young, we would annually visit some relatives who lived in a remote farm and they still had to use a hand pump to fetch water. You know, the one that you had to prime by pouring a pitcher of water into it, before it could bring water up? A year later they installed an electric water pump... none of their neighbours called them cheaters.

Now, think about this for a moment... then think about strangers who never took the time to get to know you, who then called you a cheater. Are they they kind of people you should care about?
Its probably just envy!

Daev

E*POWAH Master
Jan 15, 2022
Cornwall
Before i got one I thought it was cheating. Now i've got one i know it's cheating - but what a cheat!! It's just another level awesome.
Love having it in me quiver 😉👍

Last edited:

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania
My comeback to any bike rider that says that Ebikes are cheating is, "So, you have modern suspension, that's cheating. You have disk brakes, that's cheating. You have gears, that's cheating. Heck, you have a bike, over walking that's cheating too!
If you want to be so pure and natural, go for a run, in the bush, naked, and only then you could say you are not cheating. ;)

Daev

E*POWAH Master
Jan 15, 2022
Cornwall
My comeback to any bike rider that says that Ebikes are cheating is, "So, you have modern suspension, that's cheating. You have disk brakes, that's cheating. You have gears, that's cheating. Heck, you have a bike, over walking that's cheating too!
If you want to be so pure and natural, go for a run, in the bush, naked, and only then you could say you are not cheating. ;)
Ah!, I've "not cheated", several times 😉

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles