Why do people have a problem with ebikes?

CH61S

Apr 27, 2020
Rhondda south Wales
So I've owned my ebike a month or so now and one thing I've noticed is people seem to have some sort of issue with the fact it's got a battery and motor.

I've had comments it's cheating or not a real mountain bike along with some funny ones like do you need to charge it!

This completely took me by surprise as I'd never though about it too much before buying it, To me it's simply and upgrade that removes the downsides on biking, mainly slogging up steep Welsh hills!

These things are the future and it's obvious to anyone that ownes one but for some reason some people don't seem to get it.

So what's the deal, why the hate on ebikes?
IMG_20200607_194236_690.jpg

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
Before considering it a problem, reflect back on all the lame opening lines you have used whilst approaching a person of interest at a bar. Now, reflect on how confused these poor people are on the trails - strong female purple, nice young polite male blue, nasty black...but then some fiery orange...and what's that bulge between the legs.

Now...next time you hear " cheater?" Ask if it's an invitation.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
So I've owned my ebike a month or so now and one thing I've noticed is people seem to have some sort of issue with the fact it's got a battery and motor.

I've had comments it's cheating or not a real mountain bike along with some funny ones like do you need to charge it!

This completely took me by surprise as I'd never though about it too much before buying it, To me it's simply and upgrade that removes the downsides on biking, mainly slogging up steep Welsh hills!

These things are the future and it's obvious to anyone that ownes one but for some reason some people don't seem to get it.

So what's the deal, why the hate on ebikes? View attachment 33188
Nice pic!

No point in searching for the reasons why... you'll just be going through the layers of an onion only to end up in the centre with nothing. Middle child syndrome, bed wetting, social injustice and resentment, testosterone depletion... why go there? Not worth your concern - enjoy your bike, life is too short to worry about where hangups originate.

I play an acoustic as well as an electric guitar. Musos never called me a cheat whenever I'm playing my e-Guitar.

My Dad used a hand-crank drill most of his life. I didn't call him a cheat when he finally bought his first e-Drill.

When I was young, we would annually visit some relatives who lived in a remote farm and they still had to use a hand pump to fetch water. You know, the one that you had to prime by pouring a pitcher of water into it, before it could bring water up? A year later they installed an electric water pump... none of their neighbours called them cheaters.

Now, think about this for a moment... then think about strangers who never took the time to get to know you, who then called you a cheater. Are they they kind of people you should care about?

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Move to Oz. We have almost none of that here. I think I've had one snarky comment in a year. Our local trails are full of eBikes and the only comments are about how they wish they had one or how their mate has one. Even started seeing a couple of eBikers carrying tow ropes for their kids and friends.

We're lucky not to have the land access issues of the US or shared trail issues of Europe (not as many horses in my area and lots of MTB trails).

COVID-19 has meant that cycling is one of the few exercises left (although we're re-opening ATM) that was still OK. The numbers of families and bikes that have been sitting idle in sheds, on our trails is huge. Bike shops have a waiting time to service older bikes. So what I'm hearing is "Dad, you should get an eBike", "give us a tow" and "that's what I need" as we pass them on the trail.

Gordon

Bigxmtb

May 24, 2020
UK
Ive had the exact opposite where I live. Running into other people with ebikes, or even to people on their standard mtb they always wanna chat about it. Ask how im liking it and how they thinking of getting one. Its a good conversation starter.

Granted I have only had the bike about 6 days now but its been ridden nearly everyday and its awesome.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Move to Oz. We have almost none of that here. I think I've had one snarky comment in a year. Our local trails are full of eBikes and the only comments are about how they wish they had one or how their mate has one. Even started seeing a couple of eBikers carrying tow ropes for their kids and friends.

We're lucky not to have the land access issues of the US or shared trail issues of Europe (not as many horses in my area and lots of MTB trails).

COVID-19 has meant that cycling is one of the few exercises left (although we're re-opening ATM) that was still OK. The numbers of families and bikes that have been sitting idle in sheds, on our trails is huge. Bike shops have a waiting time to service older bikes. So what I'm hearing is "Dad, you should get an eBike", "give us a tow" and "that's what I need" as we pass them on the trail.

Gordon
Same here in NZ, same positive comments... and on one occasion two guys whispered to each other, "that's what we need." The ones that are vocal about saying 'cheater' usually say it with a smile and in jest. The haters I've come across however, tend to be silent - but you can see the contempt in their faces.

I believe the underlying historical reason why eBikes are frowned upon was about a decade ago several top ranking professional road cyclists have been caught cheating by installing a small motor and battery unit inside their seat tubes. It was deliberately concealed to look like a normal road bike. I mean the sport at the time was riddled with all sorts of unethical practices, so it wasn't all that surprising. But when the damning news broke out (their winning titles have been revoked), it spread like wildfire throughout all cycling communities and so the mould was set... bike + electric motor = despicable cheater.

Unfortunately the mindset appears to be continuing to this day... even though the motors and batteries are out in the open for all to see. It's even sold and listed as an eBike. That and the fact that those of us who do use it, haven't even joined a race! :unsure: ?

Apr 26, 2020
Out west
When you do get a bad reaction I think it's from people that take their exercise and maybe trail access very seriously. These people take a lot of pride in smoking by anyone they can pass. I'm usually on my analog bike and I can honestly say their crappy attitude extends to everyone. And I'm not super fast, but I'm no slug either. They are smug and unfriendly. Keeping up, or passing them on an ebike makes them mad..... Because they think they outrank less fit or capable athletes. My 2

Nichneven

Mar 9, 2020
Scotland
I lapped 2 riders on my e-sommet at the local up and down. One with a SC 5010 and a Ripmo. Got the 'thats cheating' but good banter anyway. Very curious about the bike. The last loop I pulled out my Privateer for some testing from the van and saw the same two guys at the top. Passing them all again up and down. Maybe I am cheating being a former combat swimmer. Super quads lol.

Jetpilot

Jan 9, 2020
Dorset
Ever since I had an ebike, some 4 years now, the "thats cheating" comment is almost par for the course, bizarrely not just from other cyclists, people walking too, although thats rarer. My usual reply is, its not a competition, that usually leaves them without much more to say.

I used to go on a organised shop ride with other ebike friends, we all started on analog but a few ended up on ebikes inc myself, it was mainly the ones who thought they were "elite" cyclists making comments occasionally, but one guy couldnt help saying something every week, oh heres the cheats, the cheats need their own group, when you going to get a proper bike etc etc, the irony is we would mostly chill with the slower riders at the back anyway, I did have a few snipes back at him as it was getting boring, it was obviously a challenge to his alpha male mentality.

MPJ

Nov 28, 2019
Chiltern Hills, UK

So what's the deal, why the hate on ebikes? View attachment 33188
Even the clouds in your pic look angry about you having a motor on your bike. You can almost hear them shouting, "CHEATER!" ?
SMILE, RIDE ON, ENJOY!

Love the pic by the way! ?

Herder000

Oct 31, 2019
UK
I had a golfer with an electric buggy call me a cheat the other day. I laughed so hard whilst pointing at his buggy I nearly fell off. To be fair his was meant in good humour, I think...
Also had a dog walker once say it, but to be fair it was more a question. I was on a very very steep incline which used to almost make me black out riding up it on a non-ebike. I had a brief conversation at the time and he seemed quite interested in the bike.
When the whole covid-19 pandemic is over I want to try it at a trail centre, probably Afan in Wales. I’m expecting to get a few comments there..

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Me and the missus bought our first tandem 45 years ago when we lived in Britain.

Then there was that f@"$£%ing advert for tea with the chimps.

"Can yer raide tan dum?" was shouted after us for decades.

At first it was annoying, irritating and then utterly infuriating. It slowly dawned on us that it was people not be very inventive about trying to cheer us on. A bit like those poor comedians with a punchline that gets repeated back to them non-stop for decades in the pub.

It just took us a bit of rethinking the shouts as encouragement (a bit like being hooted at by the bus drivers as we cycled over the Alps - they were cheering us on).

Not lived in Britain for a long time, except for a brief period of 14 months which was 5 years ago. The tandem went unremarked - so I guess the tea drinking generation has moved on from PG Tips - so can't really compare how it would be with an e-bike. All I can recommend is that you think of it as just a faulty conversation opener. That's easier on the blood pressure.

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
... along with some funny ones like do you need to charge it!

That's not entirely dumb. I've had no end of people being surprised that the bike doesn't recharge the battery on the downhills or while I'm pedalling. The "hybrid car" approach to e-biking, you might say.

Try not to think of the comments as critical. You might well be surprised that folks genuinely don't know.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Perhaps some feel a certain intimidation on two levels.

First there is the physical torment with riders spending years training and developing stamina and strength, watching their diet and hitting the gym. Endless research into the finest Lycra. Literally years of sweat and tears to become perfect physical specimens only to watch in despair as a big fat beekeeper floats on by while munching a box of apple pies ?

Secondly there is the financial torment.
Road bikes are expensive and some are no doubt proud of their £2000 flying machine, but yet again, pie-scoffing Beekeeper floats on by with his £2500 entry level hardtail. They probably know how much e-bikes cost.

Apr 26, 2020
Out west
Perhaps some feel a certain intimidation on two levels.

First there is the physical torment with riders spending years training and developing stamina and strength, watching their diet and hitting the gym. Endless research into the finest Lycra. Literally years of sweat and tears to become perfect physical specimens only to watch in despair as a big fat beekeeper floats on by while munching a box of apple pies ?

Secondly there is the financial torment.
Road bikes are expensive and some are no doubt proud of their £2000 flying machine, but yet again, pie-scoffing Beekeeper floats on by with his £2500 entry level hardtail. They probably know how much e-bikes cost.

Actually, here in the states the cost of a hi end analog carbon bike is about the same, or more than many of the main emtbs from Haibike, trek, even the base Levo

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Because there are dicks out there that haven't mtbed before & usually come from MX backgrounds that will act like dicks when passing mtbers along narrow tracks without any warning or polite requests to pass. They will usually pass while doing a wall ride past a family. They have the same kind of 'get to the top ' competitive focus the top to bottom clad lycra XC riders used to have when XC was in.
Then there are the apologetic riders that also pass & say "we're not with them" :)

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
Resistance to change is a strong factor. But I believe e mtb will be the norm within 5 years and analog bikes will be seen as retro bikes. And that's coming from someone who is very conservative...
've had no end of people being surprised that the bike doesn't recharge the battery on the downhills

That is what I have been asked more than anything else.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Why do people have a problem with eBikes?

Well maybe not always a problem as such. Something occurred to me when a close friend saw my eMTB for the first time and said, “man, your bike is a beast!” His reaction actually surprised me.

Come to think about it, we do a lot of research before committing to purchase an eMTB. The price tags are no joke, so we do strained gazing for more and more details until we’re so used to their typical appearance that we think they’re just bicycles with motors. But to the casual observer, eMTBs can be very intimidating to look at. I mean, we don’t think so because we’re desensitised when looking at: big downtubes, long travel suspension, 203mm disc brake rotors with twin pot calipers, burly fat knobbly tyres, fenders, and electronic controls or even GPS displays on the handlebars.

Maybe “cheat” is just a mispronounced knee-jerk exclamation for the word “sh*t!”

Have we become space-cowboys without even realising it?! :alien::unsure::oops::giggle:

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Why do people have a problem with eBikes?

Well maybe not always a problem as such. Something occurred to me when a close friend saw my eMTB for the first time and said, “man, your bike is a beast!” His reaction actually surprised me.

Come to think about it, we do a lot of research before committing to purchase an eMTB. The price tags are no joke, so we do strained gazing for more and more details until we’re so used to their typical appearance that we think they’re just bicycles with motors. But to the casual observer, eMTBs can be very intimidating to look at. I mean, we don’t think so because we’re desensitised when looking at: big downtubes, long travel suspension, 203mm disc brake rotors with twin pot calipers, burly fat knobbly tyres, fenders, and electronic controls or even GPS displays on the handlebars.

Maybe “cheat” is just a mispronounced knee-jerk exclamation for the word “sh*t!”

Have we become space-cowboys without even realising it?! :alien::unsure::oops::giggle:

you make a good point there.
When we bought our Carrera Vulcans from Halfords they were bright and shiny and I could not understand why nobody even gave them a second glance ever. It was as if 2 brand new bikes were invisible.

4 years later with our entry level hardtails, people’s eyeballs are stuck to them wherever we go. its almost like a UFO has landed ?

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
you make a good point there.
When we bought our Carrera Vulcans from Halfords they were bright and shiny and I could not understand why nobody even gave them a second glance ever. It was as if 2 brand new bikes were invisible.

4 years later with our entry level hardtails, people’s eyeballs are stuck to them wherever we go. its almost like a UFO has landed ?
I seem to only notice the disdain, but for some reason tend to ignore the admiration they sometimes attract... I guess it makes me feel weird and uncomfortable.

While reading a large exterior site map at a shared trail head, hikers had slowly gathered behind my wife and I. I moved over a bit so they could have a better view of the map... only to realise they weren’t looking at the map. They were looking at our eBikes straddled between our legs as we stood! We eventually headed off rather awkwardly...

It didn’t matter that my Giant Trance e+Pro was the lowest spec of the enduro full-suspension models, to them it might as well be a spaceship.

Last edited:

Supratad

Nov 13, 2019
North Yorkshire, UK
Resistance to change is a strong factor. But I believe e mtb will be the norm within 5 years and analog bikes will be seen as retro bikes. And that's coming from someone who is very conservative...

Resistance to change, absolutely. There is also the "jealousy" factor. I don't really want to call it jealousy but sometimes the animosity comes from the person knowing the high cost of these things.
A good example of this was when plasma tellies first came to the market. In the UK, at any rate, the first plasma tellies were about £30,000. I remember walking into a Comet (UK electrical goods retailer, now gone) and seeing one centre stage. It was amazing. Didn't take long for the price to halve and I thought of those people who'd paid that enormous sum only to see the prices drop to £15K, then £10K. When we bought ours in 2003, it was £1800.

An urban myth sprang up pretty quickly though that all plasma tellies would need regassing after two years, and this was really expensive. It was nonsense of course, but a way for people to feel better about their own lives. "Hah, those idiots spending thousands on a telly that won't work for long" etc etc, its a psychological reaction to feeling jealous of those with money to spend.

You might recall that in the last decade, people have been saying that electric car batteries will only last a few years and cost £8K or more to replace. Its the same thing, just peoples reluctance to new technologies and change and to self-justify that sticking as they are is the better way. Belittle the guy on the e-bike to make myself feel better about not having one.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles