Why can't I get the good Ebikes in the US.

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
I've researched and found the top ebikes on my list only to find that the good stuff is not for sell in the United States. The list of countries that most ship to is everyone, but us. It is so frustrating. Even our neighbor with Rocky Mountain and Canyon will not sell their ebikes here that I can find. Last year the top of my list was the top of the line Cube. All I could find was the older or lower end models trying to be passed off as the best. Lucky for this forum I knew better.

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
The US is a tertiary market for eBikes. More are interested here in cheap $1500 direct sales models than high end eBikes, especially with all the press on trail access issues ongoing.

In fact EU models are pulling out, Focus is a big one for the eMTB scene, and another big one is threatening to: Bike EU

But if you look at the other side of Accells coin concerning the home front it still looks pretty rosy: Bike EU. However there is a lot of competition in the EU brand wise that are in on the eBike bandwagon.

Fazua claims they haven't gotten certification for their system here yet but as far as I can tell they only need a UN certificate which is pretty standard in the electronics market. I feel it is more like they are selling everything they can make already and don't want to invest in a distribution and service network for the US which is a pretty big place geographically. Similar to Bosch that took a few years before they would sell to the US so that they could set up Magura as their service partner which has now switched to QBP.

Trek and Spec are here for the long haul but even they introduced their eMTB's to the EU market before they started to sell them here. If and when the market for eMTB's starts to mature here there will be more choices.

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis
I remember when fat biking was blowing up in my region of the US. Back then there were only 4 brands to choose from, so when you went out riding in the winter you saw the same bikes everywhere. People started to pimp out their rides just to look different. Now you almost never see the same fat bike

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
Does DeVinci not sell in to the US? They are made here in Canada. I have their AC/XT and its top notch.

Here in Vancouver we have Haibike, Cube, DeVinci, Norco ........

Why not try Canada's Electric Bike Experts | Cit-E-Cycles Electric Bikes. They aren't the greatest when it comes to servicing the eMTBs they sell, but I am sure they would be happy to sell you one.

No norco, cube, or Rocky Mountain, The cubes they send to us are the low end or old models. Most of the bikes on the forum are not available. Just got YT, so that’s good.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Presumably its due to the trail access issues?
That, and acceptance in the US. It’s just not economically sound to ship bikes there when they are selling out Europe. I have a hunch that it’ll take at around 5 years for the US to get to the level that Europe are at currently.

Reactions: Dax

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
What I have found pretty odd is how specialized is a fairly boutique brand in the USA, when it's the default brand in the UK

Reactions: njn

sparrow

Mar 22, 2019
Rivendell123
I've researched and found the top ebikes on my list only to find that the good stuff is not for sell in the United States. The list of countries that most ship to is everyone, but us. It is so frustrating. Even our neighbor with Rocky Mountain and Canyon will not sell their ebikes here that I can find. Last year the top of my list was the top of the line Cube. All I could find was the older or lower end models trying to be passed off as the best. Lucky for this forum I knew better.

Rocky Mountain PowerPlay, Specialized, and Pivots are all over the USA. Easy to find industry leading eBikes.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Fantik is an option. They're distributed out of California I think. I'm not sure how distribution works but I know "trailhead sports group" distributes norco in the east coast. He'll definitely have their emtb's. He's been really enjoying them.
Also commencal and fezari are good options

Last edited:

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
That, and acceptance in the US. It’s just not economically sound to ship bikes there when they are selling out Europe. I have a hunch that it’ll take at around 5 years for the US to get to the level that Europe are at currently.
5 years sounds about right, we are a third world country, when it comes to ebikes.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles