why aren´t we seeing more bikes with other brands systems ?

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
why aren´t we seeing more bikes with other brands systems ?
For ex from Pollini, Sachs, etc ?
Why aren´t components shortage boosting other brands?
It´s a lack of quality, price?
What do you think?

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
Because motor mount configurations are not universal, and tooling for frame molds is very expensive. Going with a smaller, lesser known and less tested motor manufacturer is risky, and you’re committed to that decision for several years. It could break your company if it all goes wrong, look at Brose & specialized and what they had to eat in warranty. For a small company, that’d ruin them. Add in that consumers are wary of an unknown motor, and it’s difficult for other manufacturers to get substantial OEM contracts.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I think it’s about trust and compatibility in a known brand vs demand . Are you talking about general group set parts , like gears and brakes etc , or ebike specific stuff , motors etc .

04fuxake

Feb 12, 2018
Porirua, NZ
Because motor mount configurations are not universal, and tooling for frame molds is very expensive. Going with a smaller, lesser known and less tested motor manufacturer is risky, and you’re committed to that decision for several years. It could break your company if it all goes wrong, look at Brose & specialized and what they had to eat in warranty. For a small company, that’d ruin them. Add in that consumers are wary of an unknown motor, and it’s difficult for other manufacturers to get substantial OEM contracts.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a frame come out with a universal mount system that used adapter inserts for the different motors e.g. take a motor, bolt the adapter to it and then bolt that into the frame. That would make pivoting to a different motor trivial for a manufacturer since they'd only have to re-tool an adapter.

Jorel

Mar 4, 2021
Germany
I'm surprised there hasn't been a frame come out with a universal mount system that used adapter inserts for the different motors e.g. take a motor, bolt the adapter to it and then bolt that into the frame. That would make pivoting to a different motor trivial for a manufacturer since they'd only have to re-tool an adapter.
The idea might be quite good.

Reality:
You can't buy Bosch, Yamaha or the others without returning the old motor (except Bafang as far as I know)
They don't want exactly this to happen what you suggested.

So it's almost impossible to get a new motor and warranty on it.
If a brand would invent a bike-frame that is able to sport various motors, how would warranty be handled from the manufacturer in case of engine failure and as a result of this a possible frame damage, if you (yourself) would switch to another motor during warranty?

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Warranty is with the motor manufacturer they don’t care what make of bike it’s fitted to . It does seem mad you can’t buy can’t buy a motor system and build your own ebike

Jorel

Mar 4, 2021
Germany
Warranty is with the motor manufacturer they don’t care what make of bike it’s fitted to . It does seem mad you can’t buy can’t buy a motor system and build your own ebike
I'm referring to a frame damage caused by motor failure.

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
There’s an echo in here!

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
£100 says most of the Taiwanese companies that make all of these frames have tooling with various inserts to suit whatever motor the customer desires.

“Bosch sir. No problem. $200”.

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn
What would be good is some gentlemans agreement on standardisation. Bolt patterns, battery connectors, chargers, battery shapes, etc. It just reminds me of disc brakes mounts when they first came out its still a mess but some what in the same ball park.

I don't see it happening unless the manufactures club together demanding it (given 20/21 shortages) or a company gets a patent on a game changing design its unlikely they want to play with each other :/

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
Deffo a gap in the market for a custom brand who’ll offer whatever motor you want.

It’s quite exciting being here at the start of all of this. Imagine in 5 or 10 years time we will look back and wonder why we bothered. I hope!

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
I think it’s about trust and compatibility in a known brand vs demand . Are you talking about general group set parts , like gears and brakes etc , or ebike specific stuff , motors etc .
ebike specific , motors , etc

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
As more brands have presented systems/motors I was expeting to see now days bikes with them, but it didn´t appen so far.

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
At this moment I would say delivery of goods and lack of supply chain is restraining all small business much more than the big players.
as per integration, I do not agree that everyone demands it, only the buyers aiming at the higher priced bikes care about this.

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
£100 says most of the Taiwanese companies that make all of these frames have tooling with various inserts to suit whatever motor the customer desires.

“Bosch sir. No problem. $200”.

You might be right - the obvious proof for that would be different manufacturers with extremely similar frames and different motors. That still doesn't give you a finished frame able to fit a variety of motors, does it?

Clubby

Oct 3, 2020
Tayside
E bikes have to comply to very specific legislation to be allowed to be classed as bicycles. No big motor player is going to let it’s motors be potentially mis-used leaving them open to legal action. Eg Buying a Bosch cx 4 and saying to them it’s for a 20” wheel commuter bike and putting it in a 29er would give a top speed way above the EU limit. ( on a very rough calculation 24mph instead of 16.5).
Chinese manufacturers don’t give a crap about legal requirements and will sell you anything you ask for. Look at all the ebike kits eBay.

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
You might be right - the obvious proof for that would be different manufacturers with extremely similar frames and different motors. That still doesn't give you a finished frame able to fit a variety of motors, does it?
Well yes. Just make an insert that is good for an adapter plate then lay up a frame, and fit the adapter to suit your motor.

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
Right now eMTB is in a Bonanza growth market with fat margins. Differentiation rules and customers buy all available stock.

Once the market matures and growth slows down, it will force manufacturers to standardise more to reduce costs and protect margins. However, we are few years away from that point.

In the meantime... let’s ride!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles