Who here builds trails?

Do you trail build ?

• No. I have never built or maintained trails.

Votes: 17 19.8%
  • Yes. I have done a little local trail maintenance.

Votes: 29 33.7%
  • Yes. I regularly maintain my local trails

Votes: 17 19.8%
  • Yes. I regularly build and maintain local trails

Votes: 12 14.0%
  • Yes. I regularly build and maintain trails in various locations

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Yes. I am a member of a regular trail building group

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • Yes. I am/have been employed as a professional trail builder

Votes: 2 2.3%

• Total voters

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I've read various baffling comments from anti-Ebike types complaining about Ebikes destroying trails. I've actually found since having an Ebike I've started building and maintaining my local trails more as it's far easier to carry tools further and I have more motivation. I've been building and maintaining trails pretty much everywhere I've ever lived throughout my adult life but really only build locally now. Having over 40miles of singletrack within a 4 mile radius of home is plenty to keep me busy.
Anyway I'm just wondering how many Ebikers here also build?
Also interested in what you build and where?

Finished this trail about a week ago. it's a 1km section of woodland that used to be used for pheasant breeding and then was left in a right mess for a few years. The farmer (land owner) has recently been in thinning out parts of the wood so although this meant slightly better access in places it also meant quite a lot of treefall was left in my way. I've cut a way through the trees and scraped/raked the ground down to singletrack but tried not to do too much digging as I don't want it to be too obvious a trail and attract too much attention. Now it's finished it forms a link trail straight from my house to one of the more popular local flowy descents so now rather than have to ride on a road to get to it I just enter through a hidden gap in the trees across from our driveway. The trail also then leads via two more wooded single track trails straight to my daughter's School so we are now able to ride fully off road the two miles to School together in the mornings. :)

Show us your latest creations

If you don't build at all fair enough I'm not going to judge you. But if you're able to, give it a try? I find it's a pretty satisfying feeling riding (and sharing) something you've created yourself.

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
The truth is EMTB's do less damage than "normal bikes" in the hands of sensible users which is 99% of the EMTB community. With the added assistance, riders are able to keep a smoother pace when climbing on wider / softer tires, which reduces the possibility of skidding. Normal bikers need to stop ruining our trails :LOL::LOL:

I had the opportunity to add a piece to the The Link Pathway - Marlborough District Council over the summer break here in NZ. I love building trails! something very therapeutic about shifting dirt. also had a small excavator at our disposals which was a game changer! Will post videos once the segment is done.

Back in my bmx days, our team of bandits started an infamous jump line that recently made local the news as the secret line grew too big and the local council tried to bulldoze it. The late McGazza was our best rider and was the jump tester. miss those days.
Bikers hopping mad over potential Hanby Park bulldozing

Bonz

Jul 2, 2018
New Zealand
I've read various baffling comments from anti-Ebike types complaining about Ebikes destroying trails. I've actually found since having an Ebike I've started building and maintaining my local trails more as it's far easier to carry tools further and I have more motivation. I've been building and maintaining trails pretty much everywhere I've ever lived throughout my adult life but really only build locally now. Having over 40miles of singletrack within a 4 mile radius of home is plenty to keep me busy.
Anyway I'm just wondering how many Ebikers here also build?
Also interested in what you build and where?

Finished this trail about a week ago. it's a 1km section of woodland that used to be used for pheasant breeding and then was left in a right mess for a few years. The farmer (land owner) has recently been in thinning out parts of the wood so although this meant slightly better access in places it also meant quite a lot of treefall was left in my way. I've cut a way through the trees and scraped/raked the ground down to singletrack but tried not to do too much digging as I don't want it to be too obvious a trail and attract too much attention. Now it's finished it forms a link trail straight from my house to one of the more popular local flowy descents so now rather than have to ride on a road to get to it I just enter through a hidden gap in the trees across from our driveway. The trail also then leads via two more wooded single track trails straight to my daughter's School so we are now able to ride fully off road the two miles to School together in the mornings. :)

Show us your latest creations

If you don't build at all fair enough I'm not going to judge you. But if you're able to, give it a try? I find it's a pretty satisfying feeling riding (and sharing) something you've created yourself.
Couldn’t agree more Gary.
Haveing an Emtb certainly helps, carrying tools up to those higher tracks. I try to do some maintenance 1 or 2 days a week but I’m retired so I can get up there at anytime.
We also have working bees every Sunday morning during the winter months so it’s great to enjoy the banter and comradery with fellow bikers of all ages. I’m the oldest so I get heaps from the youngsters. A great sense of achievement building new tracks.?
Unfortunately all the tracks and parks are closed at the moment due to very hot weather and fire risk here in Motueka NZ.?
Everyone should have a go at track building to appreciate all the effort involved and really feel part of our great sport.

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
I used to build trails and jumps years ago, now I usually just clean up the trails. Although, there is one jump line at a local park that needs a bit of help that I plan to work on when the ground thaws.

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
I sacrificed ride time to build and maintain a lot of trails last year. Most of my work was taken down or destroyed. Frustrating as hell when you build a feature and a chicken line and it gets reduced or ruined. I even printed laminated signs for features. So now I've stopped, I just do maintenance. Unsung hero as people only credit the builders.

Here's some of my work...
IMG_20170609_161058054.jpeg
IMG-20170716-WA0003.jpeg
IMG_20170726_171436411.jpeg
IMG_20170725_115143320.jpeg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have never built a trail or assisted others to do so. But I do spend hours and hours maintaining the off-piste trails at my nearest Forestry Commission trail centre. I cut back brambles, nettles, and overhanging branches. I saw off broken branches that look like spears and would be a spear of anyone hit them! If I don't clear the brambles, the following year the trail will be inaccessible without severe lacerations. The brambles there seem to grow at about 12" per week! Basically I make a Steve-shaped hole through the forest! :D

Very occasionally, I have created a drainage channel that is holding back a foot or more of water, giving the trail a chance to dry out before too many riders dig it even deeper. I have created minor diversions that are harder than the trail, but avoid deep water in the wet season.
I do two guided rides per year mostly off-piste at the above mentioned trail centre. On each occasion, but usually just the first one, I enlist the free labour to shift fallen trees that are too big for me to move.

I don't do this anywhere else except at my local trail centre.

Just as I've got it right, the Forestry Commission come along and harvest the forest (they call them clearances!) It is their raison d'etre, but frustrating never the less. I have built up a good relationship with the FC ranger that has responsibility for the organised trails. So he knows what I do and he also lets me know when the clearances are planned. I let him know when I'm doing a guided ride and he advises me if there is anything going on that weekend that I might not be aware of. He rides the off-piste trails that I keep clear.

I have never met anybody else doing what I do, but I know they exist because I can see what they have done. Whoever they are we seem to have very similar ideas of what we want to see. :)

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
Rock creek is just under 200 miles of single track and trail maintenance is critical in winter months as down trees are a big problem.
After several years of working with forest service on trail maintenance they have approved the ebike on horse only trails with proper sign and jacket for trail maintenance and trail condition reporting. This saves them countless hours every storm on trail condition updates and repairs.
90% of rock creek trail maintenance is performed by Mtb riders and there OHV funded trails.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Yesterday, I was riding with another Forum member (for only the 2nd time). It didn't take much effort at all to persuade him to help me shift a fallen tree that was blocking the trail. I'd seen it on my last trip and new it was too big for me to shift by myself. I removed several blocking branches with my folding saw, shortened the length of the tree at the thin end, and then we dragged it out of the way. 15-20 mins, job done.
A bit further in to the ride, when we were riding along an old railway bed in a narrow cutting, I shared that I would like to construct a trail down from the top of the embankment that was towering 50' above us. I wanted it come down diagonally across the face of the tree and bramble covered slope, but I hadn't found the right place yet. I had seen previously a steeper possible descent, but because it didn't fit my "vision" I had ignored it. Suffice it to say that my fellow rider persuaded me to give it a go. We cleared a few brambles and checked for hidden trenches (none), then pushed our bikes to the top. The ground cover was loose and covered in roots and the occasional bramble, and even with walk assist it was a tough ascent; those bikes are heavy!
When we got to the top I identified where it was in relation to the trail on the other side so that I could find it from that direction. Then we rode down! Brilliant. Instead of taking a couple of hundred yards to descend across the face of the embankment, we took probably less than ten, so it was steep and with several drops along the way. Fantastic! I will be incorporating that into my off-piste loop from now on! Not a bad day out for a couple of 67 year olds! :LOL:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
@Dax and I talk about it on almost every ride, especially in one section of froest that shall remain nameless, but the riding keeps getting in the way...
I sacrificed ride time to build and maintain a lot of trails last year. Most of my work was taken down or destroyed. Frustrating as hell when you build a feature and a chicken line and it gets reduced or ruined.
I feel your pain, but I'm not surprised as features like that don't comply with Forestry Commission guidelines. Unfortunately.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
A few weeks ago I was out riding with my GF and we found a large tree blocking one of the most popular local singletrack trails. The trunk was a couple of foot wide so hoppable for me but not her. So I stopped and got her to help me drag the tree off the path and we continued on. (5mins work)
A few days later I looked at instagram (I don't look at it all that often) and saw a pic of the fallen tree on a mate's feed. The lazy bastard had taken a pic thinking if he posted it on instagram I'd see it and go and move it for him.
:sneaky:

Krisj

Patreon
May 1, 2018
Sheffield
Hands up for me dude I build which I’m sure you’ll know from my Instagram account
Ive spent at least 1 hr a day for last 3 months building my local trail and most of it has been done in the dark with my head torch lol
My aim is to complete my trail ready for spring riding , I’ve made all the jumps rideable for every level riders
I thought I’d share my passion for everyone one here too as it might inspire others to do the same.
I’m 47 so your never to old to be playing in the dirt lol

DFEACB1A-7DFF-4AB6-90B8-FD9071BA2C04.jpeg

C0C911DC-0526-4A96-BD39-112340953CF0.jpeg

31856CB0-F518-4DA9-91A2-2EAE7769151D.jpeg

361DB5BC-A3DC-4EAF-B34E-E9AE874E990B.jpeg

C021AE8F-5858-4835-8C9D-50F191BC1AF7.jpeg

732E68AF-4FCF-4FFB-9EC1-4C667767B811.jpeg

97284B35-3315-4BFA-A45E-70C8B7B9131F.jpeg

B964906C-E43F-43C0-A7AB-EA95E6CE2985.jpeg

F390D2CA-2F27-4586-AD3C-8D2F3E31C69A.jpeg

50C33B58-32DF-4E72-8A9F-603944635612.jpeg

8EE4E80E-0BAA-4892-A89B-F3B2EDCD949C.jpeg

9BE4AF16-B287-4209-9DE8-8316BA510032.jpeg

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Sweet! Have you dug all that by hand or do you have access to a mini-digger?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Hands up for me dude I build which I’m sure you’ll know from my Instagram account
Ive spent at least 1 hr a day for last 3 months building my local trail and most of it has been done in the dark with my head torch lol
My aim is to complete my trail ready for spring riding , I’ve made all the jumps rideable for every level riders
I thought I’d share my passion for everyone one here too as it might inspire others to do the same.
I’m 47 so your never to old to be playing in the dirt lol

Was hoping you'd see this and post your work to inspire others. (I'm terrible at remembering to take pics of stuff)
Mates of mine are digging a new trail (at one of the local places I made a wee phone vid of) at night with headtorches just now. I've just not been free to head over and lend a hand. Local digging scene round here is thriving. one of my mates sons (15) asked for a shovel for xmas :D
He got a sweet commie Meta ;)

Krisj

Patreon
May 1, 2018
Sheffield
Was hoping you'd see this and post your work to inspire others. (I'm terrible at remembering to take pics of stuff)
Mates of mine are digging a new trail (at one of the local places I made a wee phone vid of) at night with headtorches just now. I've just not been free to head over and lend a hand. Local digging scene round here is thriving. one of my mates sons (15) asked for a shovel for xmas :D
He got a sweet commie Meta ;)
Haha that’s cool asking for a shovel for Xmas
I wish there were more people to give me a hand down on my trails
I’ve just literally got back now from digging down there with the wife daughter and dog ?
Also which I’m pissed off about I’ve had a run in with some mini bike riders today trashing the top section of the track but me running after them with a martox in my hand they soon chipped off ?

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
This used to be my toolset I'd take up. Now I just take the saw, can get most the maintenance work done with it.

I cleared almost all of fairoak snake (Cannock chase) last may over 4 hours. Did the glass collector and full wotsit at Christmas. See me doing way more now I can blast up on an ebike.
1223673622.jpeg
1143450426.jpeg
2123635770.jpeg
72112864.jpeg
1541151105.jpeg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah. i have a few cheap copies of those stashed in varios places and one in the car at all times.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah. I love Bahco tools. probably because my first ever adjustable spanner was a Bahco my dad gave me as a kid.
Reason i use the cheap copies is I'm a fucking nightmare for losing misplacing stuff ;)

Krisj

Patreon
May 1, 2018
Sheffield
Yeah. I love Bahco tools. probably because my first ever adjustable spanner was a Bahco my dad gave me as a kid.
Reason i use the cheap copies is I'm a fucking nightmare for losing misplacing stuff ;)
???? pmsl Dude you would believe how many times I hide the shovel ,matox and rake and forget where the f#ck I’ve hid them.
I blame the recreational cigarettes for that though ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I've lost rakes (I've hidden in trees, bushes and underneath treefall) for a good 6 months until i get that epiphany moment when the memory comes back.
Yeah 100% lifestyle related ;)

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Those bahco saws are excellent, I keep a couple in the landy for when we are offroading. I like to carry enough for the rest of the class to play with too :)

A mate has got the lidl version, also works well

Last edited:

Hunter-m-j

Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Here is a picture of my favourite trail tool. I’m a professional trail builder and work for a company based in Southeast Queensland Australia. Waiting for the 2019 Levo Comp Carbon to arrive mid march ish.... The bikes get used a lot when we are building mtb trail, they really do become a tool of our trade. E-bikes certainly have made us modify trail designs. Along with changing geometry of newer 29r’s. Probably the biggest impact is on climbing corners and flowing traverse trails. The older style IMBA flat climb corner is pretty much non existing now in any trail we build. Being able to rail up into a bermed climbing corner is freaking awesome and prevents a lot of forced sliding and skids due the e-bike trying to push itself out through the top of the corner. Instead the bike holds heaps of up hill speed and continues on up the trail with good momentum. Not sure how you guys over in the UK are doing things but that seems to be working fairly well here in aus
8A36B08E-6AB5-4A3F-A081-DF45CBD44C52.jpeg

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Having started mtb riding in 1985 there weren't any designated trails. We ended up using old moto trails and game trails and whatever we could find to get lost on for awhile. In the course of those adventures we would run across downed logs etc. and either decide to move them out of the way or throw our bikes over them. We carried folding saws and did what we could.

Around 1988 I built a 3 mile trail system on a 75 acre parcel adjacent to a bike shop I started. It was strictly meant as an XC type trail that could be ridden in both directions. I roughed it out cutting any trees that needed it with a chainsaw and my Rokon Trailbreaker as a support vehicle. Then I rented a 6' wide mini X similar to the one in the above post and did the sidehill/drainage work in a few days with it. Although it was 6' wide when done over the course of the summer a nice single line got ridden in amongst the stuff that grew up. We had a race series on it for a few summers that would run one way in the morning and the other in the afternoon. Fun was had and it really didn't take much to keep it going after the original effort.

Over the years I have moved around a bit, spending a good amount of time in the high country of Colorado, and there it was all about just using the existing trails that were put in by moto's, cows, horses or whatever as long as it was single track it was all good. We still carried folding saws in the spring to clear what we could and for larger stuff we found cordless sawzalls with long blades to work. I restored some old trails near my home that weren't being used and found that to be very satisfying.

So I guess that is what I do most is find as native a track as I can and see where it leads. If it needs some love I apply it. I am not into building sweet jumps or berms as I would rather spend that time clearing single track through the forest following the natural terrain and go for distance over sessionable type trails. The one I am working on now has some existing jumps on about 2 miles of trail all told. I have mapped out more than twice that that could be cleared with a few guys in a few work days.

My latest trail tool is an e chainsaw I got cheap at Harbor Freight that I bought and used for a construction project last fall. It fits nicely into a Grunden's back pack I had and although it isn't exactly light it isn't that heavy either and rides pretty well on my back. Using an eBike to carry it with definitely helps though. I still carry my Fiskars folding saw though for the small stuff. A mcleod or two will get stashed out in the woods as work progresses as they are a pain to haul in and out.

IMG_5439.JPG

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles