Levo Gen 2 Who has already updated his 2019/20 Levo to motor v. 7.3.6 ?

McInner1

Subscriber
Jun 8, 2019
Austria
The firmware 7.3.6 is intended to better protect the belt against overload. Does anyone have any experience how/if the update will make itself noticeable on the trails?
Have you noticed any problems?

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
I updated the motor yesterday. It is also a new motor from June 2020. Just about to go for a ride now. Will report.

lumpy

🚁 CHOPPER 🚁
Nov 26, 2018
SF Bay Area
I did yesterday and then went for a "beat up my Levo" ride. Only thing I noticed was walk mode is much slower

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
I did yesterday and then went for a "beat up my Levo" ride. Only thing I noticed was walk mode is much slower
That's quite a shame considering it is already very slow and inconsistent/buggy, many times I have to push the button several times before it engages.

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
That's quite a shame considering it is already very slow and inconsistent/buggy, many times I have to push the button several times before it engages.

@salko there was a tightening in legislation over walk-assist, this firmware update does slightly reduce the speed of the walk-assist function. We referenced it in the Q&A over on the pinned thread with rider letter/Q&A. It's not something we're 100% happy about and are hoping to improve this in the future.

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
I updated the motor yesterday. It is also a new motor from June 2020. Just about to go for a ride now. Will report.

Right. Tested now. Nothing out of the ordinary except walk-assist (which is still perfectly usable). Same acceleration and torque. I did think the motor was more silent but that may be my imagination.

Last edited:

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
san francisco, california
IMG_0546.PNG

lumpy

🚁 CHOPPER 🚁
Nov 26, 2018
SF Bay Area
@salko there was a tightening in legislation over walk-assist, this firmware update does slightly reduce the speed of the walk-assist function. We referenced it in the Q&A over on the pinned thread with rider letter/Q&A. It's not something we're 100% happy about and are hoping to improve this in the future.

I'm totally fine with the new walk mode setting. Before I found it to be too fast on hike-a-bike sections. Everything else about the new update seems fine. Thanks!

McInner1

Subscriber
Jun 8, 2019
Austria
Thank you all for your comments. In a few days I‘m off for bike vacations in the Austrian mountains and I‘m wondeeing if I should update before. I never had problems with my 19 Levo SWorks (3.500 km). :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Levo-Lon

Jan 21, 2020
Uk
Got the email from Rutland Cycles so I'll be booking mine in asap.

Walk assist? Never bothered with it ,I'd have bought fancy trainers if I just wanted a push bike ?

Rob180

Apr 17, 2019
Northern California
I had a failed motor replaced 7/28/20 on a 2019 Levo Expert, It shows firmware 7.3.6 now. The power feels slightly softer to me, and the motor seems louder than my outgoing 2K mi. motor. But, I should give it time to break-in perhaps. I'm sure I'll acclimate to the reduced power if any, but I should notice if it quiets down. I will report back.

RodC

May 28, 2020
Queretaro, Mexico
Thank you all for your comments. In a few days I‘m off for bike vacations in the Austrian mountains and I‘m wondeeing if I should update before. I never had problems with my 19 Levo SWorks (3.500 km). :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Why not? it will only take some minutes to do so. And you’ll have some assurance

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
I had a failed motor replaced 7/28/20 on a 2019 Levo Expert, It shows firmware 7.3.6 now. The power feels slightly softer to me, and the motor seems louder than my outgoing 2K mi. motor. But, I should give it time to break-in perhaps. I'm sure I'll acclimate to the reduced power if any, but I should notice if it quiets down. I will report back.

There you go. I have the opposite feeling concerning noise and felt turbo really kicked. But there are many factors and heightened sensitivity after the motor replacement, and I don’t have a typical test track. Did you get a June 2020 motor too?

Peter#DK#

Apr 11, 2019
Denmark
dont jinx it!!? my 19 levo just blew The motor today?? aprox same km as yours. Hope yours dont ????

Aug 5, 2019
torfaen
Im on a new motor, with the new map. Mine is quieter, pulled the same as my last two motors right up until a steep slow techy climb, i found it has less torque, Specialized have said its to stop a spike in torque, So... its either, now only giving 90nm, where the other motors were going over 90, 100,110 ? or its restricted to give less when under heavy load and not spinning up, 80 ?

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
Im on a new motor, with the new map. Mine is quieter, pulled the same as my last two motors right up until a steep slow techy climb, i found it has less torque, Specialized have said its to stop a spike in torque, So... its either, now only giving 90nm, where the other motors were going over 90, 100,110 ? or its restricted to give less when under heavy load and not spinning up, 80 ?

The spikes where so short a rider wouldn’t notice, and they say they haven’t moved any of the other numbers. I would assume the previous motor would save itself too if under heavy load for a long period of time.

Dirk74

Subscriber
Jun 6, 2020
Germany
First I’d like to say that I vote for the motor firmware upgrade and will have it done on my 2020 Levo Comp asap.

Wondering if there would be riders who don’t do it, torture the motor (e.g. turbo in much to high gear setting, too low cadence) until it pass away to get a new motor at the latest revision under the extended warranty. Specialized Riders Care statement to not make the motor firmware upgrade at least as mid-term prerequisite for the extended warranty is very graceful in that respect.

fraatti

Jun 1, 2020
Finland
Has anybody checked maximum power with blevo after upgrading bike? I have seen over 600 W peakpower in ascents. This is from last ride, around 730 W. Also another levo pushes same power out with older firmware. Do we still have same power?

FnURSHJ.png

timmers

Has anybody checked maximum power with blevo after upgrading bike? I have seen over 600 W peakpower in ascents. This is from last ride, around 730 W. Also another levo pushes same power out with older firmware. Do we still have same power?

FnURSHJ.png
Wow, you are my new example of what to shoot for. Biker - 441 Watt of power from your legs! I'm nowhere near that, even when I'm beating myself like a rented mule, trying to pedal up some trail.

congerball

Jun 3, 2019
Yorkshire UK
Had the update today, I was out the shop in ten minutes ? As usual great service from my local Specialized Concept store in Harrogate ? No charge although it is where I bought the bike from.

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
Just posted this in another thread:

More information to help those who are asking: just had a motor replaced this week under warranty that developed sounds typical of a belt that is about to go, and the torque sensor was not working correctly with multiple surges of 100% assist throughout every ride, had about 1050 miles with frequent very steep sustained climbs in turbo with sections steep enough that crank cadence bogged down but could still power through and regain cadence, which is probably the cause of the failure. As an aside, I'm now going to stop and get off to avoid bogging down in the future to help the motor last.
Replacement motor was built 6/19/20 so it is a new motor with the improvements. I am happy to report that it is quieter than the first motor significantly quieter, seems to have just as much power, and I don't really notice any drop off in the assist on very steep sections compared to initial motor.
This motor does have all of the latest updates to the motor/display/battery. I am really quite happy with this improvement. Walk assist mode does not engage immediately but does so after about 10 seconds. I'm sure Specialized will sort this out. I am usually able to push the bike up just about anything and don't use walk mode much anyway so it doesn't bother me.
Mainly wanted to get it out there that I did not see any drop off in power assist with the updates, however this is not a 2019 motor.
I don't remember earlier in this thread if @Specialized Rider Care stated that all 2021 bikes that are being sold have the motor improvements even if they were built in 2019? That seems to be the relevant question at this point. Anyone remember?

congerball

Jun 3, 2019
Yorkshire UK
I checked walk mode after I had the update, it engaged almost immediately and I didn’t notice any difference from the previous firmware, my motor was built 26/4/19 (bike manufactured 13/5/19) It basically feels the same as before ??

Last edited:

Peter#DK#

Apr 11, 2019
Denmark
I checked walk mode after I had the update, it engaged almost immediately and I didn’t notice any difference from the previous firmware, my motor was built 26/4/19 (bike manufactured 13/5/19) It basically feels the same as before ??
Where do you se the date of built?

Dirk74

Subscriber
Jun 6, 2020
Germany

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles