Which model?

Fx1

Auto WARNING : Possible Duplicate user : "Zero"
Feb 6, 2020
GB
I'm having a hard time buying my first ebike.

No longer is it a case of buying a couple of grand of bike and selling at a small loss if you want to upgrade or change. The stakes seem bigger than ever.

I'm happy to get a 2019 bike given the spec hasnt really changed much and the prices are great for the spec you get. I think I'd regret the base bike once I got it though like a few people I've spoken to.

What is the view of the race versus the pro? At £5100 its priced like the entry level levo but comes fully decked. The pro is a bargain but loses the X2 rear shock.

Are the e13 wheels no good? People seem.to dislike them.. how reliable is di2?

What's peoples thoughts...

akuria

Patreon
Jan 30, 2020
san francisco
I have a base and it's fine with me. I got it knowing that I was gonna swap out parts regardless of model I got. I wanted a 180mm fork and a coil rear shock so that is why I went base. I'd say the best bang for buck is the race though. I know a lot of people rag on e thirteen but I have had good luck with their stuff. You could always get the race and sell the wheels and get something you like.

Fx1

Feb 6, 2020
GB
I have a base and it's fine with me. I got it knowing that I was gonna swap out parts regardless of model I got. I wanted a 180mm fork and a coil rear shock so that is why I went base. I'd say the best bang for buck is the race though. I know a lot of people rag on e thirteen but I have had good luck with their stuff. You could always get the race and sell the wheels and get something you like.
I have no experience with e13 personally so not sure either way. I have had RS on last 2 bikes so fox this time around would be a nice change. I know the grip2 gets rave reviews but it's also on the pro.

£4300 is a nice price but the bling is calling me on the race.

9748simonb

Oct 28, 2019
Uk

No longer is it a case of buying a couple of grand of bike and selling at a small loss if you want to upgrade or change. The stakes seem bigger than ever.

I'm happy to get a 2019 bike given the spec hasnt really changed much and the prices are great for the spec you get. I think I'd regret the base bike once I got it though like a few people I've spoken to.

What is the view of the race versus the pro? At £5100 its priced like the entry level levo but comes fully decked. The pro is a bargain but loses the X2 rear shock.

I bought the 2019 pro as think it’s best bang for buck from last years range. The DPX rear shock is excellent. Good enough that I wasn’t fussed with the x2.
And Di2 shifting looks enticing until you smash a mech and have to buy a new one - it’s mountain biking, if you ride it like you should this will happen often.
No problems with the e-thirteen stuff yet and You only get the negative press not the good reviews. Their customer service is excellent as well so I have no worries.

Fx1

Feb 6, 2020
GB

I bought the 2019 pro as think it’s best bang for buck from last years range. The DPX rear shock is excellent. Good enough that I wasn’t fussed with the x2.
And Di2 shifting looks enticing until you smash a mech and have to buy a new one - it’s mountain biking, if you ride it like you should this will happen often.
No problems with the e-thirteen stuff yet and You only get the negative press not the good reviews. Their customer service is excellent as well so I have no worries.
The all black one is sold out now I guess I need to make up my mind.

It's either the white and black pro or the race.

TommyBoyMTB

Feb 8, 2020
Dillsburg PA

I like the di2, super easy to adjust. The only issue I had was the wire routing. It was not tucked away that great out of the box. I caught my heel on it and pulled the wire from the motor. Have to drop the motor to reconnect it. A little gorilla tape to hold it up under the rear triangle, and no more issues.

Fx1

Feb 6, 2020
GB
Do you see any benefit with the carbon wheels on the race? I get less wheel wobble on my enduro but how does it work with a 22kg bike flying down hill?

The difference is..

Carbon wheels
Di2 (they say works with motor for shifting etc)
X2 float
Kashima coatings
Fox dropper.

£800 price difference. But none of the above will really change how the bike performs I'd guess?

akuria

Patreon
Jan 30, 2020
san francisco
Do you see any benefit with the carbon wheels on the race? I get less wheel wobble on my enduro but how does it work with a 22kg bike flying down hill?

The difference is..

Carbon wheels
X2 float
Kashima coatings
Fox dropper.

£800 price difference. But none of the above will really change how the bike performs I'd guess?

if you can swing it, go for the race. That's a lot of add on for the price. I didn't go with the race solely cause I knew I wanted 180mm fork and a coil rear shock regardless of model I got. That is why I went with base.

Fx1

Feb 6, 2020
GB

The difference is..

Carbon wheels
X2 float
Kashima coatings
Fox dropper.

if you can swing it, go for the race. That's a lot of add on for the price. I didn't go with the race solely cause I knew I wanted 180mm fork and a coil rear shock regardless of model I got. That is why I went with base.
It wouldn't kill me to buy the race but 800 buys some other toys and if I'm not getting a worse performing bike then the upgrades are a nice to have.

Also in a few years I'll want to upgrade and I bet the race will have the biggest loss in value on the used market.

But the bling is calling me :)

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
I demo'd the race twice and my brother bought one. I went for the Pro. Can't tell any difference between them in practice, Inc the carbon wheels, and preferred the colour of the Pro. Don't sweat the E13 wheels etc, had em for 2 years on a Capra with zero issues

TommyBoyMTB

Feb 8, 2020
Dillsburg PA

The difference is..

Carbon wheels
X2 float
Kashima coatings
Fox dropper.

I actually got a set of Industry Nine DH wheels custom made. Never rode it with the carbon wheels. Love the look and feel of them.

Fx1

Feb 6, 2020
GB

The difference is..

Carbon wheels
X2 float
Kashima coatings
Fox dropper.

I actually got a set of Industry Nine DH wheels custom made. Never rode it with the carbon wheels. Love the look and feel of them.
I was considering selling the carbon wheels. This would recoup the money for the race I think?

Fx1

Feb 6, 2020
GB
I think this time my sensible head is going to win.

The pro is a decent upgrade over base. Just in suspension its worth the upgrade. I'll feel the difference

The race just doesnt offer any performance upgrade and I have a feeling I'll upgrade in a couple of years anyway.

The Pro is so close in spec that £800 could be used for so much more than I'll get in the race. I also do like the colour scheme.

Medium Pro ordered.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles