Which Levo FSR?

xcentric

Feb 2, 2019
Market Drayton
So, my budget has been stretched to allow me to go for a standard, bottom of the range Levo FSR - a nice bike. But I'll want to fit a dropper post. And might then want to upgrade things. So my question is, is it a false economy to buy the bottom level one, or, as my logic currently tells me, is it better to do that and then buy improved components as the others wear out?

experiences/thoughts welcomed!

bobh3501

Jan 5, 2019
California
I am doing exactly that. I have a base Levo on order. Some things I am upgrading immediately due to my size (6'3", 225 lbs) - like suspension, brakes, and wheels. The good part of replacing some things immediately is that take-off (new) parts can be sold on much easier than used. Wear parts can wait - but really that only encompasses the drivetrain - cassette, sprocket, chain, tires. Some parts don't necessarily wear quickly but can be damaged easily - like derailleurs and rims. It comes down to what you like and can justify. Seat, bars, pedals, etc. are personal preference items for me and I like what I like. They really aren't that expensive so I am changing them as well. I am also getting a good discount on upgrade parts I want from my LBS where I ordered the bike. They don't know a lot about Levo's but are willing to listen to me about things I have learned from all of the people on this forum.

I was considering an Expert but I didn't like the build (loved the frame and battery) but I don't mind the AL frame - this left me with an Expert budget but base level starting point. I think a smart approach is get the version you can afford (stick to a budget) and ride it until parts that aren't working for you reveal themselves. I road the base level and though the spec doesn't look that good on paper it was impressive nonetheless.

As a side note - paying more for higher level Levo's would not really work for me since I find issues with all the different component specs on the 2019's - even the S-Works. At that price level I would want to be able to pick every component. just don't understand why Spec can't offer frame/motor options.

Last edited:

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
I was originally going to go for the base model, but at 6"5" and 260lbs the forks and brakes were both going to need an upgrade and a dropper was needed. Did the maths (cost of upgrades less selling the spares) and getting a Comp worked out about the same, plus it was going to arrive sooner. You can't go wrong either way, but the base model is a good bike and it fits the budget.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles