Which headset I’m baffled.

S D

Mar 26, 2019
Shelley
If you wanted to change the factory jam2 headset to a better quality unit which would you chose?
(Sealed bearings??)
I had a quick look online but didn’t realise how many different shapes sizes etc were available.
Just knowing the steerer size is the limit of my headset knowledge
:unsure:

Samwise

Apr 10, 2019
Hampshire, England
If you wanted to change the factory jam2 headset to a better quality unit which would you chose?
(Sealed bearings??)
I had a quick look online but didn’t realise how many different shapes sizes etc were available.
Just knowing the steerer size is the limit of my headset knowledge
:unsure:

You want a zs44-zs56 headset.
I'm going to upgrade mine to this one
Chain Reaction Cycles | MTB | Road | TRI | Run

Don't forget you will need a headset removal and he as fast press tool to do the job properly.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
You want a zs44-zs56 headset.
I'm going to upgrade mine to this one
Chain Reaction Cycles | MTB | Road | TRI | Run

Don't forget you will need a headset removal and he as fast press tool to do the job properly.

Did you ever fit this headset Samwise?
The 'Acros' headset on my 2019 Jam2 is a cheap, nasty, plastic job and after five months is totally shot.
I swapped out the top cup and bearing for a Ritchey one I had in my spares box a couple of months ago and that fitted fine but when I tried the same with the bottom cup it was a sloppy, rattly fit as the bottom of the headtube seems to be slightly over-size..
I can't even find the original headset on the 'Acros' website.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Think I might have sussed it. Ritchey do two bottom cups, one of 55mm and one of 56mm external diameter. Guess I must have the 55mm one, 56mm one now on order.

Don't fancy paying £85 for a Hope headset having run Ritchey ones, which have easily changeable sealed bearings and are a third of the price, on my Scott bikes for many years.

S D

Mar 26, 2019
Shelley
Think I might have sussed it. Ritchey do two bottom cups, one of 55mm and one of 56mm external diameter. Guess I must have the 55mm one, 56mm one now on order.

Don't fancy paying £85 for a Hope headset having run Ritchey ones, which have easily changeable sealed bearings and are a third of the price, on my Scott bikes for many years.

Any chance of links to the ones you sussed ?
Not sorted mine yet.
PS we did chinley churn Rowarth and Hayfield this weekend, was excellent over there ?

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Any chance of links to the ones you sussed ?
Not sorted mine yet.
PS we did chinley churn Rowarth and Hayfield this weekend, was excellent over there ?

We did Cut Gate and the Ladybower Circuit yesterday and I have just emailed my mates saying we should do what we know as 'The Hayfield Cicuit' which sounds like what you did yesterday, next.

E-bikes are mind blowing with the big climbs of the Peak District

Ritchey Headset

I don't know for certain that this fits yet as I have only just ordered the bottom cup with an external diameter of 56 mm but don't see why it won't. Top cup fits perfectly.

Ritchey Comp Press Fit Headset | Chain Reaction Cycles

I think this comes with plain steel sealed bearings which last ok but I replace them with these when needed as they are better quality.

Ritchey WCS Headset Bearing | Chain Reaction Cycles

I think you get two 1 1/8 ones for £25

Just the one 1.5 for £17

They're not that cheap but last well and are simple to change when the crud finally kills them off.

Last edited:

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
The spec that my Focus Jam2 2019 bike came with is:
Acros AZX-212 AH, 1-1/8", tapered, HSZS 44/286-ZS56/40 W

Which allowing for the Acros method of designation, looks the same as what Samwise specified.

Can you find one on-line to buy?
I couldn't which is why I turned to Ritchey.
Didn't fancy spending £85 on a Hope one, which, despite their reputation at the end of the day is little more than a couple of mass produced bearings and a bit of turned aluminium

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Can you find one on-line to buy?
I couldn't which is why I turned to Ritchey.
Didn't fancy spending £85 on a Hope one, which, despite their reputation at the end of the day is little more than a couple of mass produced bearings and a bit of turned aluminium

I don't need one yet, so I haven't followed up with a search. But I will need one before too long from the looks of it, which is why I took and interest in this thread.

Samwise

Apr 10, 2019
Hampshire, England

The 56 should fit perfect doesn't need to be hope I just find there easiest to find the right size even if you just use them as a guide then go buy another brand.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
The 56 should fit perfect doesn't need to be hope I just find there easiest to find the right size even if you just use them as a guide then go buy another brand.

The Ritchey bottom cup (ZS56/40) that i ordered from CR on Sunday arrived yesterday morning. Consisted of crown race, bottom cup and sealed bearing for £17 (could have bought complete headset for £23).

Very snug fit, had to do a bit of cleaning the headtube with a file to get it started but not a problem.

Now have Ritchey cups top and bottom and a store of Ritchey WCS sealed bearings which can be swapped out in ten minutes.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles