• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered Which Damper?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I've currently got a Yari running the Motion (out of)Control damper and I'm fitting a Vorsprung Smashpot Coil Conversion as soon as TFTuned have stock again. I'm not optimistic that the MoCo is going to do much actual damping so I'm looking the options available to me.
1. Charger 2.1 RC2 - big bucks but most adjustable, however I'm not sure I have the knowledge and experience to get the best out of it.
2. Charger 2.1 RCT3 - less adjustability but more likely that a knucklehead will get it somewhere near right before hell freezes over.
3. FAST YariUp - more adjustability than the RCT3 for similar cost so the risks of option 1 for the cost of option 2.
4. Novyparts Splug - looks to have a single adjuster so simpler to set up that a Charger 2.1 RC2 and the cheapest of the bunch.

If anyone has any direct experience of the above I'd be grateful to hear about it.

I have excluded the PUSH damper because it requires a Charger damper as well so is massively over budget.

speedkills

May 17, 2020
Boulder, CO
I don't have a recommendation, only sympathy as you are right at that point of upgrade where it's so close to the price of another fork, but if you're already over budget, than the extra money to move to a new fork is unacceptable. I was considering similar options, ended up looking like $600 or so for the damper and spring upgrades, or $800 for a new fork and I am not too budget constrained so I just went with a new fork, which also gives me a spare fork to keep around.

With damper and smashpot you must be looking at $500+ though, do there happen to be any complete new or used forks that would serve you better at that price point? Just an idea to look into, I don't have any solid recommendations.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I had the Revelation RC with DebonAir and went for the the RCT3 version of the Charger damper 2.1. I was about to buy the RC2 version for the simple reason that I have never had separately adjustable high speed compression damping and I was curious. The fact that it was another £100 was not a problem, but my doubt that I would get the best out of it was. So the head took over from the heart and I went RCT3.

On my first trip out, not too challenging, I thought "hmmm, better, but not worth the money I've spent". When I got to the tarmac road, I thought I'd try "firm" instead of "open". It was already on "firm"! So I went around again, on "open" this time. WOW! I have since been on my regular trail and I do not regret the money spent. What I need however, is some time on my own to experiment to see if my initial settings would benefit from tweaking.

Why did I have it set wrong to start with? I had stupidly assumed that the 12 o'clock position is where the dial with "open, pedal, firm" had to be. In my haste to get out on it, I failed to check, with a simple bounce, which mode the fork was actually in. Right now, "firm" is at the 12 position, "open" is tucked away against the fork brace at 8 o'clock, and is out of sight.

I assume that if I remove the centre screw that seems to hold only the LSC dial in place that I will be able to lift off the whole top cap and reposition it, but I haven't even got around to that yet. Does anyone know? :)

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
I'd add the avalanche cartridge to your list. Theyre custom, lots of adjustment and very durable. Ive never had one but for years ive heard good things and there seems to be a resurgence of them the last couple years.
Im in the similar boat with a yari. Its a pretty good platform stock and at the same time you can feel where the improvements aere needed. Your coil conversion with an av cartridge would be better than anything off the shelve

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I was considering similar options, ended up looking like $600 or so for the damper and spring upgrades, or $800 for a new fork and I am not too budget constrained so I just went with a new fork, which also gives me a spare fork to keep around.
£275 for the Smashpot and from €149 to £293 for the damper , so between £450ish and £600ish, but at least I can do each job separately.

Manitou Bomber coil fork is £779 and I do see your point about having a spare fork but it does bring another variable into the equation; how good is the Grip Damper?
MRP Ribbon, DT Swiss F535 and Cane Creek Helm don't have enough travel in 29er guise.
Ohlins is silly money

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Onyx 29 sc would be my top choice for a stock fork. Internally adjustable travel without purchasing anything, durable , highly tuneable and OTT is amazing. With ott it can be mad to feel like and xc fork type fork(albeit it much heavier) or the closest to coil of any other air shock. Quick and ez to change that initial travel feel externally

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Not at $500!
Ya theyre not cheap. They should last longer and require less service and more adjustment range though, if you think thats necessary. Lots of people move them from fork to to fork to fork and retune them. Like a set of hope wheels or brakes.
I might be trying to talk myself into one?

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Also not a coil. And £900!
Yes but cheaper than stock rs lyric and 36/38 factory and closer to a coil.
I guess if coil is the objective , its lyric or 36/38 with the good stock dampers and add a coil for the cheapest if youre buying new.
Otherwise a new take off or next to new 2nd hand yari then add a coil conversion and the av cart. Probably about the same as adding a coil conversion to a lyric ultimate and you have the best cartridge

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Ahh yes *marz. Forgot. I think theyre 9er has a max of 170. Im after a 180 so ive kind of blocked them out of my thinking. Cost effective coil if your looking for a 160-170 9er coil though. Is the difference between a new coil bomber and resale of your yari less than a coil conversion? Splitting hairs on damper capabilities between the yari and bomber i think

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles