Levo Gen 2 Which Coil Shocks Are Supported on Turbo Levo?

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
The shaft of my Arma is not magnetic, so it is not "regular" steel with chromium plating. However, it is very shiny and about the same color as chromium plated steel, so I'm guessing the shaft is made from stainless steel that has been polished. I spent some time searching for a spec without success.

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
Given the weight of the Arma (and Storia they are fairly light for coil) it's likely aluminum. Hence the much larger diameter too.

At any rate the discussion is moot. EXT has already stated they support the Levo.

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
Its not an aluminum shaft….lol
It’s Chromemoly steel.
I wasn't talking about the e-Storia, that's why I said Arma and Storia.

EDIT: just to be clear, the Storia and Arma are supported on the Levo. The e-Storia is not required.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
That's literally why the e-Storia exists...

just because the e-storia exists with a shim stack and valving for eBike use doesn’t mean if would have a different shaft material. Look at the weight of the e-storia, its an eBike shock and it’s not really any heavier that the other two models.

I’m sure you could easily contact EXT and ask them directly. Just from a manufacturing standpoint I couldn’t see there being a reason for all of their MTB shocks to not run the exact same 14mm shafts.

Last edited:

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
just because the e-storia exists with a shim stack and valving for eBike use doesn’t mean if would have a different shaft material. Look at the weight of the e-storia, its an eBike shock and it’s not really any heavier that the other two models.

I’m sure you could easily contact EXT and ask them directly. Just from a manufacturing standpoint I couldn’t see there being a reason for all of their MTB shocks to not run the exact same 14mm shafts.
I'm not asking a question :)

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
Sorry I'll be more clear:

The e-Storia doesn't exist because it has a different shim stack and valving. *Every* EXT shock comes with a custom tuning, it's part of the service when you order it and one reason why they have such a thorough order form.

The e-Storia a different platform. Different body, different reservoir, different spring plates and, yes, a steel shaft.

So "just from a manfacturing standpoint"...it's a totally different product :)

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
I'm not asking a question :)

there is zero chance they are using aluminum for a shock shaft, just the friction of the seals against the shaft would wear it down.

they are using a hardened steel shaft, I would even to say there is no one in any form of suspension manufacturing using aluminum for shock shafts.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
Sorry I'll be more clear:

The e-Storia doesn't exist because it has a different shim stack and valving. *Every* EXT shock comes with a custom tuning, it's part of the service when you order it and one reason why they have such a thorough order form.

The e-Storia a different platform. Different body, different reservoir, different spring plates and, yes, a steel shaft.

So "just from a manfacturing standpoint"...it's a totally different product :)

sorry not true, if you order directly from EXT they offer custom tunes.
I live in Canada and purchased my shock through Alba, it comes with an off the shelf emtb tune from EXT. Not a custom tune specifically for me.

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
sorry not true, if you order directly from EXT they offer custom tunes.
I live in Canada and purchased my shock through Alba, it comes with an off the shelf emtb tune from EXT. Not a custom tune specifically for me.
Sorry, not true. I ordered from Suspension Syndicate (now EXT USA) and they adjusted it for my weight and riding style, and bike. This is fun, right? :cautious:

Anyway, good luck. If you'd like to start a thread debating shock shafts, please do. That's not the point of this thread. I apologize to anyone else reading for engaging in this silliness, I should know better :p

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
they are using a hardened steel shaft, I would even to say there is no one in any form of suspension manufacturing using aluminum for shock shafts.
In case my post got lost in the drama, I'll repeat that the shaft of my Arma is not magnetic. It may be (probably is) stainless steel, but it's not "regular" steel.

I agree that there is about a 0% chance of it being alumin(i)um.

Now, back to Clash of the Titans. :p

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
Sorry, not true. I ordered from Suspension Syndicate (now EXT USA) and they adjusted it for my weight and riding style, and bike. This is fun, right? :cautious:

Anyway, good luck. If you'd like to start a thread debating shock shafts, please do. That's not the point of this thread. I apologize to anyone else reading for engaging in this silliness, I should know better :p

they adjusted the valving for your specific weight or they told you to pick out two spring rates to go with your shock?

my shock didn’t come with custom valving from Alba the Canadian distributor for EXT. So I’m not sure how you’re saying I’m wrong?…..lol

I know for a fact my E-Storia came with EXT’s “standard” emtb tune. I’m not sure why I’m arguing with something that thinks the shock shaft could possibly be aluminum …..lol

but please carry on.

let’s try to get this thread back on topic.

***edit***
Sorry I should apologize, I don’t want to come across as a dick. It’s more a little banter back and forth.

i’m not saying custom tunes aren’t available, they clearly are. Just not every shock ships with them and none of the EXT shocks run aluminum shafts. I’d be shocked if any current coil shocks did. The material would wear extremely fast and go out of tolerance specs and the seals would leak.

Last edited:

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
I just got back from a ride, I will vouch for anyone on the fence thinking about a E-Storia that it’s completely changed how my bike feels. And for the better.

I also got tired of sending DHX2 shocks in to be rebuilt every 4-6 months from blown seals.

I had two of them and have sold both since getting my EXT.

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
I think this email from Ohlins-USA may count as an official endorsement of using their coil on our Levos. I went through the online purchase process but didn't do the credit card part.

1648500062597.png

Last edited:

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
That's an automatically generated email because you left something in the cart. Means nothing. Why not just email Ohlins and/or Specialized and ask??
Why did you assume I hadn't?

No response yet.

Also, it's not the email itself that's significant. It's the item listing.

Added, FWIW ...

1648507121349.png

Last edited:

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
well there we have it….lol
I don’t mind eating a little crow….lol

I’m honestly shocked about the aluminum, aluminum is a pretty soft material when it comes to stuff rubbing on it.
I suppose what's why they call it "hard anodizing"? I mean all the air shocks are aluminum too. And dropper posts. And forks...you just wanted to say "hard rubbing" didn't you? :)

beutelfuchs

Aug 11, 2019
Barcelona
the e-Storia has a 14mm chromemoly steel shaft.
It’s steel.
Yes, the estoria. but not the others. Pls check the context!
So they switched material for the ebike version. How that fact would match the story that "the other material" was just as stable but lighter I leave for everyones interpretation.

And the estoria in contrast to the other ext shocks doesnt come with custome tuning. It dosnt need to as they designed it with a wider settigs range so the rider can tune it himself.

Btw, all that can just be read on there product range. No need to buy one and ask them directly as I did.

NotSoSikMik

EXT Official Dealer
Jun 18, 2021
USA
Hi Guys I can confirm a few things.
Arma & Storia V3: 14mm Anodized Aluminum Shaft
e-Storia & Arma MX: 14mm Chrome Plated Steel Shaft.

With that said we have not had any issues with any aluminum shafts breaking on the V3 shocks but I think that the steel shaft should definitely have better wear resistance in bikes that tend to side load the shock. I think the choice by EXT to go with Steel on the new chassis is more out of abundance of safety and better wear properties than anything else. Also should note that these are being spec'd on bikes like the Nicolai Eboxx-Ultra which is essentially an e-moto and weighs 65kg. So it is probably a little overbuilt for a levo but I would not consider that a bad thing, especially considering it still comes in a at very competitive weight when compared to other standard (non e-bike specific) coils on the market. Additionally the e-Storia has a new internal negative coil feature as well which helps with small bump sensitivity and to dampen top out events which works really well. A lot of us here are running this shock on our regular bikes as well now. It is a truly amazing damper.

As for tuning yes, we (EXT-USA) do custom tune (internal valving and external adjustment) the shocks before sending them out if necessary, but because the range of the adjusters has been widened quite a bit on the e-Storia many go out with the standard factory valving. Every shock we send out is still evaluated on a case by case basis(bike kinematics/riding style/ weight etc.) and light/heavy riders (under 150lbs/ over 225) are generally going to get a different tune.

Last edited:

bowser

May 23, 2019
Australia

With that said we have not had any issues with any aluminum shafts breaking on the V3 shocks but I think that the steel shaft should definitely have better wear resistance in bikes that tend to side load the shock. I think the choice by EXT to go with Steel on the new chassis is more out of abundance of safety and better wear properties than anything else. Also should note that these are being spec'd on bikes like the Nicolai Eboxx-Ultra which is essentially an e-moto and weighs 65kg. So it is probably a little overbuilt for a levo but I would not consider that a bad thing, especially considering it still comes in a at very competitive weight when compared to other standard (non e-bike specific) coils on the market. Additionally the e-Storia has a new internal negative coil feature as well which helps with small bump sensitivity and to dampen top out events which works really well. A lot of us here are running this shock on our regular bikes as well now. It is a truly amazing damper.

As for tuning yes, we (EXT-USA) do custom tune (internal valving and external adjustment) the shocks before sending them out if necessary, but because the range of the adjusters has been widened quite a bit on the e-Storia many go out with the standard factory valving. Every shock we send out is still evaluated on a case by case basis(bike kinematics/riding style/ weight etc.) and light/heavy riders (under 150lbs/ over 225) are generally going to get a different tune.

Wish the Australian EXT dealer was as helpful as you are

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada

So how much longer before the EXT air shock releases?

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
Levo has pretty linear rear? Do you need progressive coil or is regular ok?
I’m thinking MRP E-Hazzard to my 2021 Levo comp.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles