Levo Gen 2 Which Coil Shocks Are Supported on Turbo Levo?

timo_

Mar 21, 2021
Germany
2EFECEA5-FD7C-43EE-91E3-F49D177A0A35.jpeg
6AFEEE8E-924E-4C28-ADBE-21589AAD124A.jpeg

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
That isn't the point of this thread. Contact RochShox and ask if it's supported. If so, I'll update the list.

gimmick_82

Oct 6, 2019
Vienna
Play evident in the kitsuma after a handful of rides.

And the displaced upper bush View attachment 69110

Based on this I would not recommend, even though the shock feels great.
The supplier claim the play is ok & the bush displacement could be due to frame misalignment... I kind of wish it would fail so I could get a refund.

hi,
my kitsuma has the same play now.
did you contact CC oder your dealer? do you still use ist, or what was your conclusion?

kr. stefan

FlimFlam

Jan 30, 2020
South West England
As per Bigtuna00's point I reached out to Rockshox (SRAM) with the following question:

Which Rockshox coil shocks are supported for use on the Specialized Levo - 2019 to 2022 (Gen 2 and Gen 3). I cannot find information concerning any support.

Had a response back from SRAM rider support as follows:

Thanks for reaching out!
The current Turbo Levo, listed on the Specialized website, uses a shock length of 210x55mm with a custom tune. We make the Super Deluxe Ultimate Coil in the necessary length, 00.4118.307.004. However, you will want to reach out to Specialized to determine which shock options will fit inside their frame and provide the best performance with their suspension kinematics.

@Specialized Rider Care

Could you confirm which Rockshox Coil Shock options will fit inside the frame and provide the best performance with your suspension kinematics?

Thanks.

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
EDIT: Thanks for doing that. First post updated.

We already have a response form Spesh (linked in first post) regarding shock support:

Since it's an aftermarket product, we defer to the recommendation of the shock manufacturer and if they have any compatibility issues with out frame/bike.

Yay finger pointing :( EDIT: at least SRAM didn't say it's flat out not supported, like Fox. Hopefully that means it carries a warranty.

Last edited:

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
hi,
did you contact CC oder your dealer? do you still use ist, or what was your conclusion?

kr. stefan
Hi I took it to sprung who I bought it from a while back when passing. They um'ed and ah'ed and said its probably ok but to keep an eye on it. I sent the video to CC & Nate replied as below.

"Play at the seal head can happen. Especially on a bike like the Kenevo with a Clevis mount and very high leverage ratio. As long as there is no oil leak, then you are still okay, but that is a wear item and something to keep an eye on for your regular service intervals. "

TBH it feels like a massive fob off. I received the warranty superdelux air to replace the superdelux coil that cracked so am using that for now. The superdelux coiI didnt have any sealhead play in it after a year despite cracking. I keep meaning to send the kitsuma to TFTuned to take a look. Pretty poor after less than 20 hours. I dont think its fit for the kenevo/levo despite what CC claim.

Last edited:

Jersey Skier

May 12, 2019
NJ, USA
Hi I took it to sprung who I bought it from a while back when passing. They um'ed and ah'ed and said its probably ok but to keep an eye on it. I sent the video to CC & Nate replied as below.

"Play at the seal head can happen. Especially on a bike like the Kenevo with a Clevis mount and very high leverage ratio. As long as there is no oil leak, then you are still okay, but that is a wear item and something to keep an eye on for your regular service intervals. "

TBH it feels like a massive fob off. I received the warranty superdelux air to replace the superdelux coil that cracked so am using that for now. The superdelux coiI didnt have any sealhead play in it after a year despite cracking. I keep meaning to send the kitsuma to TFTuned to take a look. Pretty poor after less than 20 hours. I dont think its fit for the kenevo/levo despite what CC claim.

Is the play noticeable while the shock is installed on the bike? Just want to know what to look for. Only a few rides on mine.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Is the play noticeable while the shock is installed on the bike? Just want to know what to look for. Only a few rides on mine.
For sure. I only took the spring off to get a better video. Grab the shock in the middle & try to move it up & down. Play is easily detected..

Last edited:

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
hi,

kr. stefan
Hi I thought I would update you. My kitsuma is in for service and they found several issues.
First off mine had an under torqued body allowing internal movement of the inner tube, symptom being the apparent play between the shaft and sealhead. They say the sealhead bush itself wasn't especially worn. Cc know about this issue and have a service bulletin for the serial number of my shock.
Secondly the piggy back insides were scored where the ifp moves. This again is a known issue and caused the knocking I felt and the worse damping I didn't notice. The fix is to replace the gubbins with a bladder.
Hopefully these fixes will improve the longevity of the shock as it did feel very good indeed, but I have an ohlins ttx now so will sell the kitsuma when it's returned.

gimmick_82

Oct 6, 2019
Vienna
Hi I thought I would update you. My kitsuma is in for service and they found several issues.
First off mine had an under torqued body allowing internal movement of the inner tube, symptom being the apparent play between the shaft and sealhead. They say the sealhead bush itself wasn't especially worn. Cc know about this issue and have a service bulletin for the serial number of my shock.
Secondly the piggy back insides were scored where the ifp moves. This again is a known issue and caused the knocking I felt and the worse damping I didn't notice. The fix is to replace the gubbins with a bladder.
Hopefully these fixes will improve the longevity of the shock as it did feel very good indeed, but I have an ohlins ttx now so will sell the kitsuma when it's returned.

i contacted cc, their reply:

"That play is a little more than normal/new I would say. The Levo's mount puts alot of added stress on the shock due to its fixed nature and no hardware/DU bushing. Bikes like this tend to wear shocks out more quickly than other mount types since they are more rigid.
You are ok to ride the shock but I would expect the damper to need a service sooner than later and they play may increase slightly, and you may see some oil loss as the oil seal head's bushing and wiper deteriorate more.

I say keep riding it until you see oil leaking or the play increases and then just send it off for service and it will be fixed up good as new"

so, no words about known issues....:censored:

CRFan1

Dec 2, 2020
NW Indiana
Just ordered an EXT eStoriia 210 x 55 for my 21 Levo Comp....gonna see how this works out. My biggest fear is that the forks will feel horrible after putting the shock on, lol.

I will also say Mike from EXT USA has been amazing to work with and their customer service seems top notch! They are not afraid to spend all the time you need on the phone to help you with understanding exactly what you need for your bike, etc. Top notch!

Last edited:

CRFan1

Dec 2, 2020
NW Indiana
Just put the EXT 210 X 55 Estoria on my 2021 Levo Comp and this thing is amazing. The ride is very supple yet controlled if I had to characterize it. The EXT USA folks were also amazing to deal with. (y)

Shock 2.jpg
Shock 1.jpg

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
I've been running an EXT Arma all summer and fall, and I'm 100% happy with the change (not gonna call it an "upgrade!). My regular trails have a ton of washboard chatter that the EXT (and a Smashpot in the fork) have smoothed out considerably.

bowser

May 23, 2019
Australia
I had ohlins on my gen2 levo and it felt good but I honestly struggled to tell any difference between compression fully closed vs fully open

Last edited:

chulahoma

Jan 21, 2022
California
Just put the EXT 210 X 55 Estoria on my 2021 Levo Comp and this thing is amazing. The ride is very supple yet controlled if I had to characterize it. The EXT USA folks were also amazing to deal with. (y)

View attachment 78008 View attachment 78009
I'm considering the EXT E-Storia and I have the same bike as you. I had some concerns about reaching the HBC adjuster screw. From your picture, it looks accessible. Can you confirm that an allen will fit while the shock is on the frame. Thanks

CRFan1

Dec 2, 2020
NW Indiana
I'm considering the EXT E-Storia and I have the same bike as you. I had some concerns about reaching the HBC adjuster screw. From your picture, it looks accessible. Can you confirm that an allen will fit while the shock is on the frame. Thanks

Yes, every adjustment screw is acessible. No issues at all. :)

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
Man, this thread got buried quickly! I'm catching up on watching Vorsprung Suspension's Tuesday Tune video series on YouTube. This video is relevant to our rear shock mount design and gets at why we need this thread.

If you want to cut out ~9 minutes of interesting stuff, this link takes you to the place where he discusses our clevis type shock mount:

Same video, but jump to 8:55

Last edited:

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
@Bigtuna00 , I don't know if this counts as an official notice of compatibility, but I entered Turbo Levo into the Ohlins website part recommender, and their TTX22M coil made the list.

1648174805580.png

1648174860184.png

FWIW, I'm currently running an EXT Arma which I am happy with except that my riding would benefit (I think) from a variable rate coil, and I have not found one that fits around the EXT shock body. That's why I was looking at Ohlins.

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
@Bigtuna00 , I don't know if this counts as an official notice of compatibility, but I entered Turbo Levo into the Ohlins website part recommender, and their TTX22M coil made the list.

I'm 99% sure Ohlins is fine. What makes me hesitant is Specialized used offer Ohlins stuff on clevis bikes, but doesn't anymore. Why did they stop? (there can be many reasons of course)

It would be good to have someone from the company acknowledge it directly. Most all of these companies won't actively filter out any bike. E.g. Fox just has a blurb hidden in a technical article that no one would find if they were just shopping for a shock.

It could be the Ohlins calculator just has a database of eye-to-eye+stroke for as many bikes as they can...or it could be a *real* recommendation. I'd like to be sure for this list (as sure as we can).

Thanks!

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
Yoke bikes are hard on shocks as they sideload the bushings. This will wear them out faster, but IMO is not the main problem.

The problem is bottoming out the shock. When you bottom out it's a huge load spike combined with the leverage of the yoke that breaks shocks. Most suspensions are not progressive enough to prevent harsh bottom outs and bikes ship with springs that are too soft.

Most coil shocks will work as long as you don't bottom it out. So if you want to run a coil reliably, pick a stiffer spring.

beutelfuchs

Aug 11, 2019
Barcelona
The Oehlins survived my Kenevo which eat any of the spec'ed damper within weeks of usage.
It has a 10mm steel shaft similar to estoria or push.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles