• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Which cassette removal tool?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Just wondering if I need to buy 2 different cassette removal tools for our bikes or is there one tool which will work on both bikes.

one bike has a Shimano slx cs-m7000 11 speed cassette

the other has a Shimano deore cs-hg500 10-speed cassette

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
How important is it to use a torque wrench when tightening up the cassette? I know it says 40nm but in most videos I’ve seen they just seem to use an adjustable spanner ?

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
The engineers at the factory do a lot of testing and found that too little torque = part comes loose; too much = broken part. I would not take my bike to a shop that uses an adjustable spanner on a part that specifies a torque.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
The engineers at the factory do a lot of testing and found that too little torque = part comes loose; too much = broken part. I would not take my bike to a shop that uses an adjustable spanner on a part that specifies a torque.

have now ordered a cassette removal socket which attaches to my torque wrench ??

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I see that some chain whip tools are specific for 11speed or 10 speed? Is this true?

I’ve read someone say on another forum that using a 10speed tool on an 11 speed cassette will not work because it will slip?

am I correct in thinking I’ll therefore need 2 different ones as we have one 10speed and one 11 speed bike.

thanks

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
I see that some chain whip tools are specific for 11speed or 10 speed? Is this true?

I’ve read someone say on another forum that using a 10speed tool on an 11 speed cassette will not work because it will slip?

am I correct in thinking I’ll therefore need 2 different ones as we have one 10speed and one 11 speed bike.

thanks
I've used the same chainwhip I bought years ago, used it from 9 to 12 with no issues.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I discovered that there are two different types of socket for removing the cassette, both use the same spanner size, but one will fit where the other won't and vice versa. See pics
Sockets 1.jpg
Sockets 2.jpg

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California

Sort of but not really.

I made my chain whip back when all the cool kids were running 3x9. It's just an aluminum bar (sorry, I tried to add the extra "I," but the forum keeps correcting me), with a length of chain pinned to it. It was perfect for nine speed. Subsequent styles of drivetrains use narrower chains and the cogs are spaced closer together. My old 9 speed whip doesn't really fit between the cogs on a 12 speed cassette, but it's still usable. The pitch between the teeth is still half an inch.

Doesn't everyone just run 12 speed nowadays?

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I discovered that there are two different types of socket for removing the cassette, both use the same spanner size, but one will fit where the other won't and vice versa. See pics

My Heckler came with the first Rockshox I've had in a LONG time. Last week I was tearing it apart and discovered that the top cap uses the same wrench style as a cassette. I had a tool similar to yours on the left. The pin was just pressed in, so I could drive it out with a drift, making the "cassette tool" into a "fork tool." Actually, I think it was clever for the kids at Rockshox to use the same tool.

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
left to right:

1- old school, general use (including Rockshox forks as mentioned by @cozzy and @RustyIron )

2- with 5mm QR axle centering pin

3- with 12mm thru axle centering pin (best for cassettes on hubs with 12mm thru axle)

IMG-2514.jpg

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
left to right:

1- old school, general use (including Rockshox forks as mentioned by @cozzy and @RustyIron )

2- with 5mm QR axle centering pin

3- with 12mm thru axle centering pin (best for cassettes on hubs with 12mm thru axle)

View attachment 67650
the left tool will do everything. The only reason I see that the 2 on the right have been created is to sell more tools.
surely the splines going into the lock ring will centre the tool, so what's the point of the centring pin?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
the left tool will do everything. The only reason I see that the 2 on the right have been created is to sell more tools.
surely the splines going into the lock ring will centre the tool, so what's the point of the centring pin?
I started off with the little dumpy one, had it for years. Then I bought a bike where, for some reason that I can no longer remember, the dumpy one would not do the job. It may have been the Whyte T130 with its 11-speed cassette. To get the cassette off I had to buy the one with the thin spindle. Looking at them now I can only come to your conclusion that the dumpy one would do the job of all three. Except it wouldn't or I would not have been forced to buy the other one! It may have been something to do with how far out the tool stuck out above the cassette. :unsure:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles