Which brake upgrade for 19 base levo

Neverbeentomoab

Jun 17, 2019
Middlesbrough
Picking up my levo in a couple of weeks already have a pair of revs to replace the sektors and will change a few things as parts wear out but want to change the brakes before I pick it up.what brakes are people putting on there levo I’m thinking 8020s or saints but what do people recommend

z1ppy

E*POWAH Master
May 11, 2018
West Mids
On my 2nd bike with Guide RE's ( 1st bike was 1.5yr faultless), and am happy as feck with them, not tried anything else lately but they work fine. No idea how they stack up against the rest (well except for a quick glance at some brakeset reviews, which list them up near the top) but adding an alternative option that may turn up cheaper.

Neverbeentomoab

Jun 17, 2019
Middlesbrough
On my 2nd bike with Guide RE's ( 1st bike was 1.5yr faultless), and am happy as feck with them, not tried anything else lately but they work fine. No idea how they stack up against the rest (well except for a quick glance at some brakeset reviews, which list them up near the top) but adding an alternative option that may turn up cheaper.
Cheers for the reply I might be able to get a set of guides cheapish so glad to hear their ok.might save me a few quid over buying from a shop?

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
i have code rsc on my levo and they are smooth and linear but if i were to do it over again i would get something with a bit more stopping power

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Hayes Dominion if you want some of the best brakes on the market apart from a few stupid expensive brands. Stronger than Saints and with much better modulation.

Karsten

TommyBall

Feb 12, 2019
Edinburgh
I'm thinking of changing brakes. Got the code r brakes but for me I'm just not getting the bite from a brake that I want. I know code rs can be great as that is what I had on my first Levo before someone liberated it from me but these ones do not inspire confidence at all.

I've bled the brakes cleaned the calipers, pistons, I've change the pads and rotors but still not happy. I've given them a damn good chance! The bite point on the lever feels good the caliper operation is even....it just doesn't want to stop.

Had a shot of my mates Nukeproof DH bike with magura mt7s felt super. So might make the change when I'm home. I like the hope stuff... because....shiny!

Brendog78

Jun 12, 2019
Australia
I was having the same problem with my code r brakes on my Kenevo. Today I fitted some trick stuff pads and they are a big improvement more predictable and stop a lot quicker. I'm going to see how I get along with them for a while.

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
Don't expect too much from the Guides...
For me as a heavier rider (100kg without gear) the Guides don't have enough stopping power on my Kenevo. Compared to the Shimano Zee (with 203mm disc) on my other bike, they're weak as f***.
No need to spend the extra bucks for the Saints, they have the same stopping power and behavior of the Zee.

Check this out (translate via google):
https://enduro-mtb.com/die-beste-mtb-scheibenbremse/13/

• Agree
Reactions: jxj

silverstone

May 20, 2019
Switzerland
I swapped my Guides for some Deore XT brakes, and it makes a huuuuge difference!
I live in the alps, and we have a lot of steep descents, and now with the Shimano brakes, it is an absolut joy to ride down the trails!
With the Guides before, my fingers nearly fell of at the end of the descents...

Kave

Dec 9, 2018
Sweden
I have been riding with the standard brakes, they work ok as I see it. Why not start with them and see if they are acceptable. In my opinion you need a dropper post and a better fork much more than other brakes.

Neverbeentomoab

Jun 17, 2019
Middlesbrough
I have been riding with the standard brakes, they work ok as I see it. Why not start with them and see if they are acceptable. In my opinion you need a dropper post and a better fork much more than other brakes.
I’ve a brand new set of revelations going on to replace the sektors.and a mate wants to buy the brakes off my levo but only if they haven’t been used so as I would want to change them eventually I might as well do it now.not to bothered about a dropper might fit one someday but not in any hurry.

Neverbeentomoab

Jun 17, 2019
Middlesbrough
I swapped my Guides for some Deore XT brakes, and it makes a huuuuge difference!
I live in the alps, and we have a lot of steep descents, and now with the Shimano brakes, it is an absolut joy to ride down the trails!
With the Guides before, my fingers nearly fell of at the end of the descents...
Are the 2 pot or 4 pot xts

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
I'm thinking of changing brakes. Got the code r brakes but for me I'm just not getting the bite from a brake that I want. I know code rs can be great as that is what I had on my first Levo before someone liberated it from me but these ones do not inspire confidence at all.

I've bled the brakes cleaned the calipers, pistons, I've change the pads and rotors but still not happy. I've given them a damn good chance! The bite point on the lever feels good the caliper operation is even....it just doesn't want to stop.

Had a shot of my mates Nukeproof DH bike with magura mt7s felt super. So might make the change when I'm home. I like the hope stuff... because....shiny!

Give the jagwire pro extreme pads a go.. they seemed to work a little better on my guide r's.. or you can buy just the lever from ebay and convert to rsc, its the S you need, swing link gives more leverage.. they use same caliper.

bowser

May 23, 2019
Australia
You bedded your brakes in on a treadmill?.. or is that a trail?

yep, sit one wheel on a time and drag the brakes (don't lock them up) and get the brakes nice and hot. Do a couple of heat cycles but don't cook them. One of my rotors was real noisy before but a good heat cycle and they make no noise now, plus work fantastic

Snatch

Aug 18, 2019
Warwickshire
Picking up my levo in a couple of weeks already have a pair of revs to replace the sektors and will change a few things as parts wear out but want to change the brakes before I pick it up.what brakes are people putting on there levo I’m thinking 8020s or saints but what do people recommend
I’d change the pads first. I have carbon Lorraine pads. Massive difference £20 posted !!!

Paul Chance

Jul 14, 2019
Solihull
Hi Guys, I'm the importer for CL Brakes (Motorsport) in the UK, I have a 2019 Levo myself and the Guide RE were ok, but a bit mushy and the brake lever travel a bit excessive for me, I really like an aggressive set up. Ive put the CL Pads in and the difference in lever was dramatic right away and a few minutes up and down the road the pads bedded right in, power is also improved.
I am looking to put stock in next month, I've put a couple of sets out there with other people and results have been the same.
So initial stock may have a lag until i get a handle on it, and production starts, Price should be £19.95 to your door.
We will go online soon with sales, but initially its email or phone.

Cheers Paul.

CL Braking UK Sole Distributor of Carbone Lorraine Brake Pads...Paul Chance +44 (0)7974 153967

Attachments

• catalogue vélo 2016-2017 WEB.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 468
Last edited:

Paul Chance

Jul 14, 2019
Solihull
IMG-1403.png
IMG-1424.JPG

I put them in my Previous Cube Hardtail on Deore 2 pots, and they brought that brake system to life too..

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles