Which bottle cage Trek Rail

zaykay

Dec 3, 2019
Finland
I’ve ordered Rail 7 after having a test ride bike for few days. I tried traditional bottle cages and also fidlock mount which neither worked. Which side load cage would be the best for a big bottle?

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
I’ve ordered Rail 7 after having a test ride bike for few days. I tried traditional bottle cages and also fidlock mount which neither worked. Which side load cage would be the best for a big bottle?

I use a Giant composite side-loading cage on the RM-which is a tight fit for anything due to the shock lock-out lever. Fits my 750ml Camelbak bottle nicely.
20191028_165249.jpg

Blue Moon

Apr 17, 2019
North Manchester
This was the Bontrager one our LBS fitted when my wife collected her Rail 7. It won’t fit our standard bottles only a little one I used for my tools. No idea what model it is though.

Good Times

Nov 8, 2019
Sydney Australia
Bontrager (older one) you can switch to be either side exit. With the Camelbak Podium Chill 620ml it JUST fits. I used frame tape to stop it scuffing. You can use the non-insulated one (second pic) 620ml which is a couple of cm shorter if you’re worried.

97700CEE-4D82-41EF-A0D2-0444424F459F.jpeg

C5A189D9-B5A5-4EFE-9658-929B1DD992C4.jpeg

zaykay

Dec 3, 2019
Finland
Mine is Large frame too and I have been using CamelBak bottles. So exactly what I was looking for? Thanks! I guess the exact model is Bontrager Sideswipe?
Bontrager (older one) you can switch to be either side exit. With the Camelbak Podium Chill 620ml it JUST fits. I used frame tape to stop it scuffing. You can use the non-insulated one (second pic) 620ml which is a couple of cm shorter if you’re worried.

Good Times

Nov 8, 2019
Sydney Australia
I would say that’s the latest equivalent. Mine’s about 4 years old and I think they’re a little different now. But works a treat, bottle doesn’t shift ever.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Crap! I bought a normal cage and bottle the other day and haven’t had a chance to fit it yet. As I have a medium I guess I’m going to be shit out of luck.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Camelbak Dirt fits, but you'll need a side entry bottle cage.

zaykay

Dec 3, 2019
Finland
I ended up to install Cannondale SSL bottle cage since that was the only available side load cage in my local store. 500ml Tacx Shiva bottle fits with plenty of clearance so I guess it would work also with 600ml (21oz) bottles. Material of the cage seems brittle and it also sits too high on screw hole shoulders. I will order a better one later. Especially after testing the Fox DHX2 coil shock where the cannister hits the cage when close to bottoming. Need to find a better one. Those Bontrager Sideswipes are hard to find.

Good Times

Nov 8, 2019
Sydney Australia
I reckon the Giant one looks the go. Looks like you could slide it in about halfway down. The Bont you still need to insert from fairly high up, hence taping the top tube.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I’ve got this one on my Stumpjumper, and was going to put the same on my Rail when it arrives.
Zee Cage II – Right | Specialized.com

It’s pretty much in from the side, and then push it down about 1cm to lock it in place.
Been using it for almost 3 years, and never had an issue or a bottle fall out!!

zaykay

Dec 3, 2019
Finland
Clearance for Fox DHX2 made it even more complicated. This setup works actually pretty well and there’s 5 mm clearence for shock cannister. Cage is Elite Cannibal XC and bottle is 550ml from Elite.
C0FA3160-E3EB-4D5A-9D68-F0930DF460C2.jpeg

Hannibal

Jan 24, 2020
Essex
Wish I’d had read this yesterday.... just got one of those topeak ones with the pouch. Just about possible but not great do going to hold onto that for my back up ride. Doomed to ride with a pack of dome sort. Also on a rail 7 which after one ride I love, but it does lift on climbs so was hoping to go away with pak weight

Hannibal

Jan 24, 2020
Essex
Wish I’d had read this yesterday.... just got one of those topeak ones with the pouch. Just about possible but not great do going to hold onto that for my back up ride. Doomed to ride with a pack of dome sort. Also on a rail 7 which after one ride I love, but it does lift on climbs so was hoping to go away with pak weight
Also liking the coil shock idea so that doesn’t help!!

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland

My Stumpjumper has SWAT (a big compartment in the downtube) where I stored a spare tube, pump, tools etc. I’ve actually bought a small pack for my Rail so that I can carry all my bits. It has a bladder, so I was going to try it this weekend with some water in it and see how I get on as I haven’t got a bottle cage yet.
First time on the bike... and first time ever riding with a back pack!

Hannibal

Jan 24, 2020
Essex
My Stumpjumper has SWAT (a big compartment in the downtube) where I stored a spare tube, pump, tools etc. I’ve actually bought a small pack for my Rail so that I can carry all my bits. It has a bladder, so I was going to try it this weekend with some water in it and see how I get on as I haven’t got a bottle cage yet.
First time on the bike... and first time ever riding with a back pack!
Yes I’ve just come off an enduro with swat. Hopefully trek will come up with something like the levo but with a tool or storage on the side of the cage

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Yes I’ve just come off an enduro with swat. Hopefully trek will come up with something like the levo but with a tool or storage on the side of the cage

I have a feeling the bottle cage from my SJ with the SWAT multi tool attached to the bottom would fit / work with the Rail as it’s side entry. It’s the wrong colour for my Rail... plus I vowed not to steal bits off that bike as I’m still going to use it!!

Hannibal

Jan 24, 2020
Essex
I have a feeling the bottle cage from my SJ with the SWAT multi tool attached to the bottom would fit / work with the Rail as it’s side entry. It’s the wrong colour for my Rail... plus I vowed not to steal bits off that bike as I’m still going to use it!!
Would be worth a try though just do you know and possible provide a solve to this problem

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Would be worth a try though just do you know and possible provide a solve to this problem

I will try at some point this weekend and let you know. For now, I just want to get out and ride it!! Looking at it, I think it’ll be a perfect fit.
I wanted my bike to be light - so I may stick with the tools / water in my backpack depending how I get on.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Here’s the Specialized cage off my Stumpy - complete with SWAT tool attachment.
The bottle is a Camelback Podium, and is slightly bigger than standard... and it rubs when in. A standard sized bottle would be fine.

Why did Trek decide to put the screws so far up? They could have easily been an inch lower down the frame, and bottles would have fitted without issues!

E0CBC2BC-0C88-4EE5-B58A-743C7DFCB0E9.jpeg

Hannibal

Jan 24, 2020
Essex
Here’s the Specialized cage off my Stumpy - complete with SWAT tool attachment.
The bottle is a Camelback Podium, and is slightly bigger than standard... and it rubs when in. A standard sized bottle would be fine.

Why did Trek decide to put the screws so far up? They could have easily been an inch lower down the frame, and bottles would have fitted without issues!

View attachment 25053
Well at least it just about works. Some cages have slight adjustment and could slide down a bit. I think I will get a camelbak flow belt after all that

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles