Wheres the throttle? What can you get out of it?

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
If I take the bike into town, these are the questions i get...
They ask something about....
1.The throttle? Expecting it to be a motorbike.
2.Top speed/fastest you get out of it? (I say its a full suspension peddle assisted electric mountain bike not built for speed.
3. Is it very heavy? .... yea if you were to have to carry it.
4. Blimey, aren't those tyres wide! ...yes all the better to grip with
5. I want one.
6. Does it just have to have the peddles for insurance?
7. Was it expensive? Relatively
8. Something about it being no good for exercise, but nice not to have to put any effort in.
9. How bigs the engine?
10. How far does it go? 75K .... (really on a battery????)
11. I used to have a (fill in the blanks) or I've got a (fill in the blanks).......

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
From complete strangers:

- Is it heavy?
- Where does the petrol go?
- Can I have a go?
- Is it legal?
- Bet I can out run it on my insert name of non-ebike manufacturer)
- Have you still got your normal bikes?
- How much was it?

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
I wonder if the "does it recharge itself?" thinking comes from arsehole companies like Lexus and Honda claiming their hybrid shitboxes self-charge in their adverts.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
To be fair, I don't think it's unreasonable for a non-rider to wonder whether ebikes have regenerative braking.
That's true & I always feel obliged to launch into a detailed or maybe simplified explanation on how regen works - whether they like it or not. Mostly not :geek:

Possibly some don't see the difference in the concept of a bike 'charging itself' and a bike recapturing energy that otherwise would’ve been lost - mostly in the form of heat and $$$ buying brake pads.

Last edited:

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
I wonder if the "does it recharge itself?" thinking comes from arsehole companies like Lexus and Honda claiming their hybrid shitboxes self-charge in their adverts.
I haven't seen those ads but I can imagine. That would certainly a be major contributor - slogans always beat factual details in the advertising world.

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
Well it's not a "claim", it's actually pretty straightforward technology, and it works. A pal of mine drives a Toyota C-HR, he spends a lot of time in electric-only mode, and it has never been near a charger.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Well it's not a "claim", it's actually pretty straightforward technology, and it works. A pal of mine drives a Toyota C-HR, he spends a lot of time in electric-only mode, and it has never been near a charger.
The self-charging description, whichever type of hybrid - mild parallel, series-parallel, series, PHEV, all using a combustion engine in one way or another - is a disingenuous, super-stretch of marketing hype.
Even this example from Tesla is a stretch - mostly because this prototype is 4 years old & is yet to become available. It's aiming skills are a bit suspect too.

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
Of course they "self charge", by burning fossil fuel. Kinda defeats the purpose of an EV eh-but each to their own I guess...

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
The self-charging description, whichever type of hybrid - mild parallel, series-parallel, series, PHEV, all using a combustion engine in one way or another - is a disingenuous, super-stretch of marketing hype.
Even this example from Tesla is a stretch - mostly because this prototype is 4 years old & is yet to become available. It's aiming skills are a bit suspect too.

I reckon that whole robot thing was just "Electric Jesus" Musk faffing about with tricky electronics for shits n giggles. An induction plate would make a whole lot more sense, no moving parts for starters. Nikola Tesla was a mad feckin genius.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
While riding up the mountian;
MTBer 1; Can I get a tow?
Me; Ill come back and get you.
MTBer 2; What the...?
Me; (silence)
MTBer 3; Cheater!
Me; (silence) or a salut.
MTBer 4; Awersome!
Me; Thank you.
MTBer 5; I want that!
Me; (thumbs-up)

While at the trail head;
MTBer 6; NICE bike!
Me; Thank you. You have a nice bike too.
MTBer 7; (starring in silence)
Me; How high up are you going?
Hiker 1; You’re so fast.
Me; not really.
Hiker 2; Does it charge its self?
Me: (struggling with witty replies) No.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles