Where can I find a list of all Specialized “running design change” or recalls

mr_reality

May 5, 2019
Bentonville, Arkansas
I have found several on the faq but wanted to see if there is a complete list. Specialized calls these defect fixes “running design changes”. Several people have mentioned replacing the wire harness but I do t have that part number.

1) S194200013 : 4-bolt motor cover
2) S199900061 : motor protection kit v2
3) S194300001 : replacement shock-link

Joss

Not sure on the harness code but another for your list is:
Rear pivot protector kit. S199900066

IMG_4215.jpg

eabmex

Patreon
Jun 8, 2018
Guadalajara, Mexico
Yesterday I took my bike to have this fixes installed, but the dealer said that they have not received any bulletin and when I mentioned this information he said that it is country specific and that in my country (Mexico) it does not apply! I do not think this can be right, Maybe @Specialized Rider Care could help me sort this out.

Joss

Crucial point is that they are not issued as fixes, rather continuing design improvement. If you have a problem, they’ll resolve it, but they seem to have elected to install these design updates as and when they’re needed rather than as preventative measures. I understand perfectly why they would do that but it does rather impact upon confidence, wondering when a problem will affect you based on the wealth of anecdotal evidence being shared.

mr_reality

May 5, 2019
Bentonville, Arkansas
Crucial point is that they are not issued as fixes, rather continuing design improvement. If you have a problem, they’ll resolve it, but they seem to have elected to install these design updates as and when they’re needed rather than as preventative measures. I understand perfectly why they would do that but it does rather impact upon confidence, wondering when a problem will affect you based on the wealth of anecdotal evidence being shared.

I spoke with the owner of the shop and he is going to order any of the service items (if they have not been installed at factory) at the time of purchase. So far I have all the items on this thread on the list unless I find any other problem areas.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
could someone provide some more details on these so we can see whether some or all are actually already on the bike? Maybe a new thread. TIA.

208rider

May 22, 2019
Boise, Idaho
I have one showing up in about 2' weeks and will be looking to see if the latest builds have these "fixes" already installed.
If yours shows up sooner post what you find

bobh3501

Jan 5, 2019
California
I took delivery of a base Levo a couple of weeks ago with an early March build date and it had all the changes mentioned here from the factory. Not sure about the wiring harness (or exactly how that has supposedly changed) as I haven't cracked the case open yet.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I took delivery of a base Levo a couple of weeks ago with an early March build date and it had all the changes mentioned here from the factory. Not sure about the wiring harness (or exactly how that has supposedly changed) as I haven't cracked the case open yet.
I got mine last week...how do you know when it was built. I don't know how to check the various changes which is why I asked the question.

bobh3501

Jan 5, 2019
California
I got mine last week...how do you know when it was built. I don't know how to check the various changes which is why I asked the question.

I can't remember exactly but I think it may have been printed underneath the power switch which I had to take off to get the Mission Control 6-digit code.

UPDATE: It's on the serial number sticker underneath the top tube. Mine is March 18.

Last edited:

Fridge

Nov 17, 2018
Northeast
I can't remember exactly but I think it may have been printed underneath the power switch which I had to take off to get the Mission Control 6-digit code.

UPDATE: It's on the serial number sticker underneath the top tube. Mine is March 18.
Is that March 19 ?

n-xplorer

Nov 17, 2018
Columbia River Gorge
July 11, 2018 build date here and I don't have any of the fixes or notices. Contacted my Specialized dealer here in Canada and they didn't know anything about these issues. Hmmmm? Makes me wonder about Specialized, why are they not communicating about these issues? Reminds me of the Boeing fiasco.... the silence speaks volumes. Com'on Specialized.... just let us know you have these issues covered !!

Last edited:

exhook

Jun 1, 2019
Whistler
Had the same blank stare from my Canadian dealer. I will give them a few more days before contacting 'mission control"

exhook

Jun 1, 2019
Whistler
Mine was 02/22/2019. It has the new linkage, but not the pivot protector kit.
Anyone know hoe to tell if it has the motor protection kit?

n-xplorer

Nov 17, 2018
Columbia River Gorge
I'm not getting ANY response from my LBS here in BC Canada. There seems to be a major disconnect between this LBS and Specialized. Everybody is asking me about this emtb and I must now tell them NOT to purchase a Specialized or anything from this LBS because they don't seem to care about their customers.

Update: Finally got results from Specialized & LBS. The "design updates" (aka recalls) have been installed. Yes indeed, the shop did an excellent job and really took care of me. They had no idea that these issues even existed on the Levo. I'm still wondering why it took Specialized so long to respond to their request? Communication seems to be down... shop owner promised to take this issue up with Specialized at the next gathering.

Last edited:

exhook

Jun 1, 2019
Whistler
My dealer here in BC has been fine. Specalized sent the parts, and they will install this week. It seemd like a new process, but once they contacted Specalized, all was good.

n-xplorer

Nov 17, 2018
Columbia River Gorge
My dealer here in BC has been fine. Specalized sent the parts, and they will install this week. It seemd like a new process, but once they contacted Specalized, all was good.

Alright, so I bought from Gericks In Nelson. I've asked about the Specialized recalls and even sent them a pic. That was nearly a month ago. Nothing yet. No response. Don't know if it's a problem with the LBS or Specialized.

n-xplorer

Nov 17, 2018
Columbia River Gorge
Alright, so I bought from Gericks In Nelson. I've asked about the Specialized recalls and even sent them a pic. That was nearly a month ago. Nothing yet. No response. Don't know if it's a problem with the LBS or Specialized.

Update: According to Gericks, Specialized has failed to inform them of any recalls. Also, Specialized has been very slow at responding. This confirms another LBS owners comments that Specialized is a very BAD company to deal with. I know several people who are interested in purchasing a e-mtb as well as a large group of Mountaineering folks who are asking questions about this e-bike... I will let everyone know NOT to purchase a Specialized, there's much better companies out there.

lumpy

🚁 CHOPPER 🚁
Nov 26, 2018
SF Bay Area
I don't know what's going on with these other LBS's you guys are dealing with my my LBS here in California has been top notch and dealing very proactively with it all. I really don't think it's Specialized as much as it is the individual dealers

n-xplorer

Nov 17, 2018
Columbia River Gorge
I don't know what's going on with these other LBS's you guys are dealing with my my LBS here in California has been top notch and dealing very proactively with it all. I really don't think it's Specialized as much as it is the individual dealers
I'm from Concord, California so I find it quite disturbing that Canadian people here in this area have had such bad experiences with Specialized. I talked with shop owner Shawn from Nakusp I met on the trail who said he no longer carries Specialized gear because they have treated him so badly. Seems they treat each shop differently.... how are we suppose to know who gets preferential treatment?

Four Flusher

Jun 24, 2019
Reno
Wow, my three week old Comp was built in January. For sure I need the rear pivot protector, should I worry about the other updates mentioned?

Four Flusher

Jun 24, 2019
Reno
Great thread! My new Comp built in January had the new shock link but none of the other fixes. Not sure what the S199900061 : motor protection kit v2 is, anyone have a pic?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles