When you pass 50 . . . You are an old fart, so let's see your ride!

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
I’m King of The…sticks?
View attachment 94582
Really old fart…60+
Coquitlam, BC
Canada
Nice ride Stihldog (I am partial to Trek). BC is another one on our bucket list. I always wanted to take that two level train with all the glass windows around Vancouver or where ever that train goes. We live around 3.5 hrs south of Montreal and have been going there annually for like 50 years now. Been to Mont Tremblant, Quebec and Toronto. Need to see your spectacular western part of CN 👍🏻

Quinterly

Apr 22, 2020
Vancouver
Vancouver, Canada
Trek Rail 5

Screenshot 2022-08-11 175754.png

Not lot of pics to choose from ..

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
68 (for 2 more months)
Bay Area, California
USA

View attachment 94583

View attachment 94585

No pics of me on the bike cuz I nearly always ride alone.
That scenery doesn't look real! Mammoth Mtn another bucket lister. That trail looks cool! I too prefer to ride alone. I don't need to be waiting around to meet up with someone. I wake up, weathers good, low percentage of rain, I'm out the door and the bikes goes on the rack then I'm off to somewhere for a few hours.
Rob started a tire comparison thread. This was a link to a 16 min tire Ad someone posted that I just watched. Looks like he was coming down some mountain and was hitting 52 km at one point (that's crazy). I liked watching that Garmin display on his way down the trail:

Last edited:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Nice ride Stihldog (I am partial to Trek). BC is another one on our bucket list. I always wanted to take that two level train with all the glass windows around Vancouver or where ever that train goes. We live around 3.5 hrs south of Montreal and have been going there annually for like 50 years now. Been to Mont Tremblant, Quebec and Toronto. Need to see your spectacular western part of CN 👍🏻
Born on the East coast but drawn to the West coast. Been here for 45+ years and still haven’t rode on the two-level-glass-window train. The Rail is my engine now. Vancouver and area is a Mecca for MTBing.

Quinterly

Apr 22, 2020
Vancouver
Born on the East coast but drawn to the West coast. Been here for 45+ years and still haven’t rode on the two-level-glass-window train. The Rail is my engine now. Vancouver and area is a Mecca for MTBing.

I'm one of those rare Vancouver born ... can't imagine living elsewhere (and I've had job offers that should have enticed me away ...).

As for the mecca, so far this summer: Fromme, Thornhill, Delta Watershed, Bert Flinn, Burke (thank you for your work on that mountain ... although I mostly stick to the lower part of the mountain, IIRC that's where you do trail work). Squamish (Diamond Head) this weekend (unless plans fall through) and still have to make sure to hit Seymour at least once.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I'm one of those rare Vancouver born ... can't imagine living elsewhere (and I've had job offers that should have enticed me away ...).

As for the mecca, so far this summer: Fromme, Thornhill, Delta Watershed, Bert Flinn, Burke (thank you for your work on that mountain ... although I mostly stick to the lower part of the mountain, IIRC that's where you do trail work). Squamish (Diamond Head) this weekend (unless plans fall through) and still have to make sure to hit Seymour at least once.
There’s some crazy-fun sh*t on Fromme. Two of my buddies both got concussions while riding up there. One had double-vision for a few days but is fine now (5-6 months to fully recover). Burke and Whistler fills my calendar. I love Burke Mountian …but it is my backyard.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
City: Orange California or Hurricane Utah

I ride about 3,000 miles a year on my mountain bike, currently an Orbea Rise.

I wanna borrow an ebike and ride Saddleback Park next time I am home - even if I do have to wander around with a weed wacker first. Most of the other tracks I raced Moto are long gone now.

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
View attachment 94586
All over 50 - I'm the E-biker on the Yamaha on the left. Helps me keep up with my skinny Acoustic-Riding friends. Location: Brown County State Park, Indiana... one of the top Midwest American MTB destinations.
Looks like a great group of friends. . . bsquared, I even still have one friend I went to Kindergarten with 68 years ago, but he’s in FL and I’m in NY, so we only get together once a year.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Physical Age: 60
Mental Age: 17 ( . )( . )
City: Olching (near Munich)
Ride pic: I had problems finding one. As I am the photographer amongst my friends I have 100 ds of ride pics, but almost none of me.
original_c2c0697c-8a22-4cab-8b3c-2a9dc4d663ca_20220710_155238.jpg

That's me on the right. We rode up from the valley bottom and had some great trails back down.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Ride pic: I had problems finding one. As I am the photographer amongst my friends I have 100 ds of ride pics, but almost none of me.
View attachment 94604
That's me on the right. We rode up from the valley bottom and had some great trails back down.
Mental age! Hahaha 👍🏻.
Your much more mature than I. 16.5 here…and only because my wife gave me a point for buying her new riding gloves. 😘
I think the OP could of asked for our mental age to be included in our mini-bio.

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
View attachment 94604
Damn, many of the posters have been posting some spectackular MTBing backdrop locations (especially this one). I'm Soooo jealous 😢

Last edited:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
52. I'm an old fart? Bugger.
UK
Face obfuscated due to the appalling gurning rather than any sort of anonymity. Always wear goggles kids. A goggle's picture rarely looks bad.

View attachment 94611
Oh no! Someone might photoshop that. Please, someone photoshop that!

I look like a gargoyle in my pics so your technique might come in handy. 😉
I always wear glasses …I learned the hard way. 😳

Quinterly

Apr 22, 2020
Vancouver
There’s some crazy-fun sh*t on Fromme. Two of my buddies both got concussions while riding up there. One had double-vision for a few days but is fine now (5-6 months to fully recover). Burke and Whistler fills my calendar. I love Burke Mountian …but it is my backyard.

Definitely some crazy ... tend to limit my ambition to the "easier" black diamonds like Expresso or Floppy Bunny.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I have ridden quite a few trails on Burke but don't know this one. Is it called "The Sawblade"? I don't see it on Trailforks.
Sawblade is a double black and one of the higher trails (Mental Floss is higher I think.)
If you can make it there, it’s a fairly short run but extremely steep. It basically starts at Sawblade Falls and follows Prichard Creek to Woodland Falls. It’s difficult to maintain because of the elevation, but you get to tick it off the list (famous here).

There are quite a few trails on Burke Mountian which aren’t on any map. Having several map-apps on your phone helps …but some of the fun ones are secret with camouflage entrances. I’m still coming across trails …and I thought I knew them all.

The lower trails are quite popular. (Hustler, Franks, Braap, etc. but trails get interesting with more elevation. 👍🏻

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
50 bah....although I started fooling around with ebikes in my late forties as a mode of transportation with a drop bar ICE 4stroke weed whacker motor bike with a custom steel frame as seen here at Interbike in 2000.

Screen Shot 2022-07-23 at 5.15.14 PM.png

Next was a front hub kit on a spare 29"er which I don't have a pic of but it had a 24v SLA battery that was good enough for the 7 mile trip up valley against the grade and headwind to check the mail.

I built this bike up 6yrs ago while living near a city for transport and adventure now that battery tech had gotten good as well as less expensive. 1000w front hub motor with a 12ah 48v LiMn battery on a Bikes Direct bike that I got alot of use out of that even saw elevation on a trip to Crested Butte 4 yrs ago.

IMG_1684.jpg

it wasn't until a couple of years later when I had better access to single track after a move that I got serious about swapping over my mtb to one using TSDZ2 kit on a hardtail I had been riding analog.

IMG_1685.JPG

After riding similar kit bikes until last December when I got a Mulleted Luna Z1 which is like an open class mtb but can be ridden sensibly and where I live no one cares because there is no one to care on the trails I ride.

Lighthouse Bella.jpg

Not gonna lie that it isn't fun to rip around logging roads on and handles well enough on our tight/techy/rooty single track to clean 95% of them but it is a heavy beast and so to that end I am getting my V III drop bar bike together for some variety. It weighs a good 7kg less than my mtb but I have it setup to use my 780wh 52v eMTB battery in the frame bag and only have it all set up for 1000w peak. Bike definitely sets up a good draft.....I have averaged 30mph on country roads for miles on V I and V II with the help of a Schlumpf High Speed bb drive that has an equivalent 160" gear.

e750d done.jpg

And am awaiting a 1/2 price deal I swung with a bunch of friends for a '01 leftover BH 29"er with a Brose S and 720wh 21700 cell battery to be delivered

Screen Shot 2022-07-28 at 2.45.40 PM.png

Idea being to see which I bond with better as far as mtb goes. Or just ride both for the different experiences I'm mostly retired so I don't have much else to do but bike off.

And as well as we are exchanging mug shots here is one of me on the left with an old CB buddy that dropped by the coast for a visit a few weeks ago to help certify my old guy status on my 68th birthday.

Bob & The Hague 7:21:22 Cape Meares, OR.jpg

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I bought my first mtb when I was 58. It was a Kona Kula 26er hardtail, 100mm travel. I loved that bike and I kept it for years. I was persuaded to sell it to a mate for the 15th birthday of his son. Except the silly bugger only went and got killed on active service and never paid me. (RIP Taz :cry:). When I got to 63, I was riding a lot all over the place and with no aches or pains I felt like Superman! Then the knee pain started!
I bought my first emtb when I was 67. It was a Focus Jam2 9.6 NINE (carbon framed 29er 150mm travel, e8000). I think the bike is stunningly beautiful. :love:

This is me puffing my cheeks on the Focus.
Steep drop.jpg

That 29" rear wheel used to buzz my arse when I got any steeper, forcing any mud through the fabric of my waterproof shorts! :eek:

Last year I bought a Merida e-One Sixty 9000 (carbon framed mullet, 160mm travel, EP8). I believe it was the last one sold in the UK in 2021.
This is me posing in my new shirt, shoes and trousers. May I point out the state of the lawn after not being watered at all during the current dry spell, now officially a drought. The only green bit is where I wash my bike from time to time. I was trying to smile, but failed. It was 32degC and I could feel the sun on the back of my neck.

Garden and me.jpg

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
50 bah....although I started fooling around with ebikes in my late forties as a mode of transportation with a drop bar ICE 4stroke weed whacker motor bike with a custom steel frame as seen here at Interbike in 2000.

View attachment 94654

Next was a front hub kit on a spare 29"er which I don't have a pic of but it had a 24v SLA battery that was good enough for the 7 mile trip up valley against the grade and headwind to check the mail.

I built this bike up 6yrs ago while living near a city for transport and adventure now that battery tech had gotten good as well as less expensive. 1000w front hub motor with a 12ah 48v LiMn battery on a Bikes Direct bike that I got alot of use out of that even saw elevation on a trip to Crested Butte 4 yrs ago.

View attachment 94650

it wasn't until a couple of years later when I had better access to single track after a move that I got serious about swapping over my mtb to one using TSDZ2 kit on a hardtail I had been riding analog.

View attachment 94651

After riding similar kit bikes until last December when I got a Mulleted Luna Z1 which is like an open class mtb but can be ridden sensibly and where I live no one cares because there is no one to care on the trails I ride.

View attachment 94652

Not gonna lie that it isn't fun to rip around logging roads on and handles well enough on our tight/techy/rooty single track to clean 95% of them but it is a heavy beast and so to that end I am getting my V III drop bar bike together for some variety. It weighs a good 7kg less than my mtb but I have it setup to use my 780wh 52v eMTB battery in the frame bag and only have it all set up for 1000w peak. Bike definitely sets up a good draft.....I have averaged 30mph on country roads for miles on V I and V II with the help of a Schlumpf High Speed bb drive that has an equivalent 160" gear.

View attachment 94653

And am awaiting a 1/2 price deal I swung with a bunch of friends for a '01 leftover BH 29"er with a Brose S and 720wh 21700 cell battery to be delivered

View attachment 94655
Idea being to see which I bond with better as far as mtb goes. Or just ride both for the different experiences I'm mostly retired so I don't have much else to do but bike off.

And as well as we are exchanging mug shots here is one of me on the left with an old CB buddy that dropped by the coast for a visit a few weeks ago to help certify my old guy status on my 68th birthday.

View attachment 94658
Wow, what a great story! Thanks for sharing this with all of us Mabman

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles