• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered When do you replace your tyre?

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
This is my rear tyre. Do you think it's time to replace it or ride it for another 500ks?

How soon do most people replace there tyres? This ones done 1500ks

20190605_154024.jpg

20190605_154044.jpg

20190605_154116.jpg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
centrally worn tyres are absolutely fine if you want a faster rolling tyre that still corners well. (albeit more drift happy when transitioning over into the turns).

surely you know yourself if it's lacking grip for your own personal use, trails and riding style.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Like Gary says when you loose confidence in the tyre, then its time to change. I often find that in the summer months I love a tyre that is almost on its way out, as it rolls fast, still grips enough, but can also move around in a predictable way.

But then again I love doing skids, to the detriment of all proper riding technique!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
SKIDZ are AWESOME and are definitely a skill you need to employ from time to time while still executing correct (proper) riding technique.
Mastering skids is a fundamental skill.
"skids are for kids" and "ride don't slide" cliche sheep crowd are rarely very good riders and it's partly because they don't actually know how to skid properly.
Skids teach dynamic weight distribution and body positioning and increase a riders ability to calibrate grip quickly using fine adjustments. eventually becoming controlled by muscle memory exceuted entirely on feel.
If you don't enjoy the feeling of tyres sliding (brakes or no brakes) you're missing out big time in my book.

anyway.. those tyres are prime for learning skids, cutties and drifts.

Hydracatch

Sep 10, 2019
USA, Chicago
I have over 4,000 miles on a Vittoria Zaffiro Pro trainer tire (purchased in 2014) mounted on a cheap spare wheel that has been used on a Kurt Kinetic and now a Kickr Snap (for past 3 years). Tire inflated to 110psi and 2 full turns of the knob after the tire makes contact with the drum.
Occasionally I’ll wipe down the tire and the trainer drum with a Clorox wipe to get any dirt and grease off and I’ve never had an issue with slippage.
Of course, no slippage may speak more to my lack of explosive power than the quality of the tire.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
That tyre is woen ro the point it has long since failed to perform as designed. As others have said it could be used as a skid practise tyre or even as a faster rolling xc type faster rolling tyre on hard pack but it is not going to provide any grip for braking or climbing or on loose or muddy surfaces.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles