Queensland
Dislike magpies; song or not.
Much prefer these guys.
Wild King Parrot.
20210103_071710~2.jpg

Flyfisha

Jul 27, 2021
Australia
Anyone who has not been out riding lately will soon realise its swooping season again.
Having had blood drawn a few times from my ears and read of a guy in Mildura losing an eye it’s no joking matter. Be careful riding fast and give these birds what they want. They want you out of their territory.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I got swooped twice today. It still sucks as much as it did when I was 10.
You know you can stick your arm up when you hear them coming. Straight up; it works. Don't stress over it or blow lots of energy, just put your arm up before they get to you. It doesn't have to be vigorous - they don't want to fly into your arm

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
He looks angry.
It's actually a strange photo - I questioned it as soon as I saw it. For example, this is a wide angle camera where everything generally looks further away than it is, which suggests that this magpie is practically on the person. At this point the maggie would have it's wings flared out and tilted back to bring it's talons to the front! Instead it is in the glide part of it's wing beat. So I wouldn't be surprised if it's bs.

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
The Bill Cosby helmet posted earlier was certainly very scary 😱
But that Magpie bird strike scared the Bejesus out of me, so I decided to take extreme action with the Mortal Enemy of birds . . .
Now I just have to watch out for the low bridges and branches.

IMG_5651.jpeg

Last edited:

TheRealPoMo

Apr 18, 2020
Queensland
It's about to start here again. Was thinking of getting an over ear model but didn't. I'll just do the short, stout, sharp cable tie echidna (porcupine, hedgehog) trick again. Shame if one became impaled on my countermeasures...

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
It's about to start here again. Was thinking of getting an over ear model but didn't. I'll just do the short, stout, sharp cable tie echidna (porcupine, hedgehog) trick again. Shame if one became impaled on my countermeasures...
cable ties work because the magpies don't want to fly into them. They really seem the easiest and least bother for riding, weight etc too. In an emergency you can undo them and use them for something else.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles