When birds attack

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Open Source Magpie Muncher - protection from high IQ bird attack for less than $2.00 * guaranteed 100% to possibly not work against evil genius Magpies

Parts list - no instructions

2 fishing floats - $1.50
2 twist ties - not much
2 extra extra large cable ties - not much either
2 round black gaffer tape cutouts
Concussion or a sore head
Imperviousness to ridicule

thanks to urastus for the conceptualisation

Magpie Muncher

Magpie Muncher 1.0.jpg

Magpie Muncher 2.0

Magpie Muncher.jpg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It kinda reminds me of a modernised more streamlined version of "B.O.B" from "The Black Hole" ..

bob.jpg

Weirdly merged with "drutt" from "The Trap door" ..

drutt2.jpg

You could upgrade with some Red LED's to make it scary to people aswell as birds ...

terminator.jpg

It's good to know you're not alone though ..

Even in the Future, TIE Fighter pilots had ? exactly the same problem and resorted to using stickers instead :

tie fighter.jpg

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
I think I'd rather get swooped then wear that on my helmet. Funny thing is I got attacked yesterday and the bastard slammed into my neck. Scared the shit out of me, I hate these f.... Birds
Ridicule is way better than concussion but yes I think I'll stick to version 1.0.
It kinda reminds me of a modernised more streamlined version of "B.O.B" from "The Black Hole" ..

View attachment 39092

Weirdly merged with "drutt" from "The Trap door" ..

View attachment 39093

You could upgrade with some Red LED's to make it scary to people aswell as birds ...

View attachment 39094

It's good to know you're not alone though ..

Even in the Future, TIE Fighter pilots had ? exactly the same problem and resorted to using stickers instead :

View attachment 39095
So many new versions for me to try thanks !!

maynard

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
My girlfriend says I shouldn't be so weak . And just keep riding. They can't hurt you with a helmet on she says . I had one hit me in the temple once(i
wasn't wearing a helmet). I thought someone had thrown a rock at me . I started yelling at randoms saying " who threw that " then saw the angry magpie and realised. Anyways I love magpies and I respect them . I think they are awesome critters . And people shouldn't hate on them . I also had one destroy my model glider when I was a kid . It took me months to build that plane ???

maynard

Subscriber
Open Source Magpie Muncher - protection from high IQ bird attack for less than $2.00 * guaranteed 100% to possibly not work against evil genius Magpies

Parts list - no instructions

2 fishing floats - $1.50
2 twist ties - not much
2 extra extra large cable ties - not much either
2 round black gaffer tape cutouts
Concussion or a sore head
Imperviousness to ridicule

thanks to urastus for the conceptualisation

Magpie Muncher

View attachment 39085

Magpie Muncher 2.0

View attachment 39084
I was just showing my girlfriend your magpie deterrent device. She started saying ( wow that's a nice house )

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Exactly. I love them too. One of a small, very small number of species that are known to pass the Mirror test or MSR.

Humans
Bonobo's
Orangutans
Chimpanzees
Bottlenose dolphins
Killer whales
Cleaner fish

and Pica Pica, the Magpie.

Forgot elephants lol

Last edited:

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
Exactly. I love them too. One of a small, very small number of species that are known to pass the Mirror test or MSR.

Humans
Bonobo's
Orangutans
Chimpanzees
Bottlenose dolphins
Killer whales
Cleaner fish

and Pica Pica, the Magpie.

Forgot elephants lol

So you're saying we should mount mirrors on the back of our lids?

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
No don't do that. That'll piss them off even more & of course they never forget a face.

Agree completely, a pissed off magpie is a real problem. They often team up with buzzards and come back with a vengeance to really mess you up.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Australian Magpie (which as far as I can tell is the attack-bird Down Under) is a different critter - Gymnorhina tibicen.

Still pretty smart, though:

Wow thanks for the correction and very interesting! Also a relief - getting nutted* by a bird potentially more intelligent than me was kind of embarrassing for some reason.

* High velocity headbutt

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
I've been a bit of a Bird Nerd ever since I was a little kid, so I just thought I'd share...

European magpies are bold enough, and very smart; but they're considered to be vermin by many in this part of the world, and have suffered accordingly, so they tend to give people a wide berth where they can.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
I've been a bit of a Bird Nerd ever since I was a little kid, so I just thought I'd share...

European magpies are bold enough, and very smart; but they're considered to be vermin by many in this part of the world, and have suffered accordingly, so they tend to give people a wide berth where they can.
Totally get the Bird Nerd thing. I've always loved incredible flying machines and species. Birds are at the top of the list. Interesting that Pica Pica give humans a wide berth, that proves their intelligence. Obviously the male Gymnorhina tibicen is extremely protective, defensive all the way up to aggressive and occasionally dangerous. It definitely does not avoid humans.

Sorry, I don't get it..??
I discovered the hard way that the Australian Magpie can be extremely dangerous. With a perfect hit to the side of the head, I have no doubt it could have been fatal, even while wearing a cycling helmet - which I wasn't - a helmet would reduce that potential very considerably. The eyes are meant to mimic a predator like the Barking or Powerful owls. The whites of the eyes will soon be green.

Phase 1 of my peer-reviewed unscientific trial were successful - 2 minute ride to the cafe & back. The cafe is Magpie central.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
The eyes don't work! The eyes don't work!

That's what I was afraid of. If the Australian Magpie is as smart as I thought it was then it could be a futile search for deterrents despite all the well-meaning and appreciated advice.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles