Wheels

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
Has anyone swapped their wheels or weighed the standard wheels?
Was looking at Blueflow wheels and this is on their website, seems a huge weight loss.
“For comparrison, the standard 27.5 wheelset on one of our customers £5100 Whyte E-160 S weighed his wheels at 3100g, compared to the same width and stiffer 27.5 BF/eB 37/31s he replaced them with at 1850g. 1.25KG of rotating mass saved!”

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
Prob the first thing I'd spend money on TBH if I was upgrading anything. Spendy though, £850+?

Someone on here?

Whyte-ebike.jpg

Last edited:

Clubby

Oct 3, 2020
Tayside
Did some weighing but with tyres/rotor/cassette attached. Part way down this page.

Found my front wheel pretty comparable to hope/ wtb i25 combo. Rear, most of difference was in the cassettes. With a bit of maths I’m sure you could figure out wheel weight by taking off the tyres I was using.

Can’t imagine they are significantly heavier than those carbon wheels mentioned.

Couldn’t honestly tell much difference over the course of a few rides apart front the narrower, slightly less sticky tyres rolled better when coasting. Unsurprising really.

Have read that it’s the extra stiffness of carbon wheels that feel better on heavier ebikes than any weight saving. At 1850g those carbon wheels are particularly light any way. Even Santa Cruz reserve carbon rims are only 20-30g lighter than the wtb alloy ones.

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
Did some weighing but with tyres/rotor/cassette attached. Part way down this page.

Found my front wheel pretty comparable to hope/ wtb i25 combo. Rear, most of difference was in the cassettes. With a bit of maths I’m sure you could figure out wheel weight by taking off the tyres I was using.

Can’t imagine they are significantly heavier than those carbon wheels mentioned.

Couldn’t honestly tell much difference over the course of a few rides apart front the narrower, slightly less sticky tyres rolled better when coasting. Unsurprising really.

Have read that it’s the extra stiffness of carbon wheels that feel better on heavier ebikes than any weight saving. At 1850g those carbon wheels are particularly light any way. Even Santa Cruz reserve carbon rims are only 20-30g lighter than the wtb alloy ones.
Yeah I’ve read a few reports saying it’s not particularly the weight difference but how it rides.

nathdogg

Feb 2, 2021
norwich
I upgraded mine for some weareone composites unions with I9 hydras and they weigh 1840 g.

The biggest upgrade is in how they ride. They feel more lively.

For me I would definately upgrade the wheels again

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles