Wheel bearings anyone?

Oct 28, 2018
North Yorkshire
Anyone had any trouble with rear wheel bearings? The bike (Jam2 9.6 plus) done 500mls and it looks like they are on the way out. I know the drive train will wear our quicker on ebikes, but this still seems a bit early.
Has anyone else replaced theirs, at what mileage??

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Anyone had any trouble with rear wheel bearings? The bike (Jam2 9.6 plus) done 500mls and it looks like they are on the way out. I know the drive train will wear our quicker on ebikes, but this still seems a bit early.
Has anyone else replaced theirs, at what mileage??

What hubs are they?
Mavics on my Drifter and after 1700mls, including a Peak District winter, the are still really smooth and play free.

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
I always upgrade wheels/hubs on new bikes. I would go for DT Swiss or Hope TBH.
500 miles doesn't seem much is the bike still under warranty?

Jaygam

Feb 14, 2019
Hampshire
Do check that the bolt-through shaft hub-nut is not a bit loose, it can cause play if it is not nipped up finger tight, check every time the rear wheel is removed.

Jaygam

Feb 14, 2019
Hampshire
Do check that the bolt-through shaft hub-nut is not a bit loose, it can cause play if it is not nipped up finger tight, check every time the rear wheel is removed.

20190820_123721.jpg

20190820_123701.jpg

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
I have about 1000 miles on my Focus Jam2 plus carbon and my rear wheel bearing is also "gone". But it was the outer bearing for the freewheel that went out. On these d162sb hub, the axle and cassette driver is steel, very heavy, but doesn't gouge at all. The bearings on this 5 pawl freewheel are individual ball and race. You can't punch the races out either but the part that is damaged is the small cylindrical part that slides onto the shaft to make the outer race. I've tried to clean it up, sand and polish it but it's not good. And Novatec doesn't sell that part at all or that hub in the States. The d462sb-sl-b12 works and if you can find the freewheel assy and axle it has 3 cartridge bearings in the freewheel portion. It's hard to located a 5 pawl version in steel but I think I found it on AliExpress and post when I get it in about 3-4 weeks. I had to look for many hours all over. I attached the d162sb-sl-b12 to show the small part that failed.

IMG_4740.JPG

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
This is what I've ordered. You need to order a F type cassette driver for the d162 hub which is what the d462 is. It should fit and cost about $72. total with shipping. Having a steel cassette driver is pretty important with the increased torque of an ebike. I saw zero wear on my cassette driver after about 1000 miles. I don't wash my bike or ride in water yet the bearing failed. Everything was snug so I'm thinking this particular bearing (loose ball cup/race) probably needs to be re-greased often. I had gouging and many dents around that loose small bearing race. Novatec Europe doesn't sell that tiny part and will not ship to the US even if they did. Novatec USA doesn't carry the d162 or the d462. I found a 3 pawl Novatec d462 steel boost hub on ebay complete for $60 but I really wanted the 5 pawl. This one shown has an extra cartridge bearing (3) as well. The Focus wheel also has large gage spokes so while heavy is not that bad except for these bearings. You can't find a swiss H1700 35mm wheel anywhere in the US and they are really expensive so fixing this wheel is my best option right now.

ali order.jpg

Jaygam

Feb 14, 2019
Hampshire
I had the same problem after about 350 miles.
Thok supplied the parts pictured under warranty and no problems since.
Although there are less pawls it's fits the original ratchet ring.
I did have to file a little off the hanger to position the draullier correctly, must sit a little more in-board.
Pritty sure the driver is the one pictured from novatech website.

15591405526249039483023112434951.jpg

Screenshot_20190601-104041_Chrome.jpg

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
Cool. I'm still waiting to see what Focus will do for me. They left the US so it's questionable if I'll get a new freewheel which is why I bought one from AliExpress. In the meantime my sanded bearing race is holding up OK. Only 300 miles! I think mine started to act up around 6-700 miles and was toast by 800.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
Finally received my 5 pawl, 3 cartridge bearing freewheel from AliExpress today. It works and fits and now has rebuildable cartridge bearings and an extra one over the d162ds standard Focus hub. I've since found a lighter carbon wheel option given to me so this will be my backup and it only cost $72. total. You need to use both of the spacers included to make the stack-up and cassette spacing the same as stock and only tighten until you take out the play in the assembly. You'll know if it's too tight because the freewheel doesn't spin freely. There is blue loctite on the shaft as well to prevent it from loosening easily.

IMG_4806.JPG

IMG_4807.JPG

IMG_4808.JPG

IMG_4804.JPG

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles