What's your Levo/kenevo cleaning regime?

Captain45

Oct 1, 2019
Usa
Gents,

What are your cleaning/maintenance regimes on Drivetrain components, cranks, brakes etc and what products and tools is everyone using?

What are you guys doing after each ride, monthly, yearly etc? I want to stay on top of everything to keep my new 2020 turbo comp running smoothly!

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Haven't had to clean anything...that new mudguard did the job!
muddy x.jpg

Actually just a wet cloth so far with no rain to speak of here it's all dust.

Last edited:

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Gents,

What are your cleaning/maintenance regimes on Drivetrain components, cranks, brakes etc and what products and tools is everyone using?

What are you guys doing after each ride, monthly, yearly etc? I want to stay on top of everything to keep my new 2020 turbo comp running smoothly!
I'm cleaning most times after ride as it has been a very wet and muddy few months. Hose front and back then sponge rest trying to use minimum water, not easy. I have had few times it won't restart but has always dried out. Probably not taking that much longer unless I take wheels off to be a bit more finicky . I sometimes wait till next morning and as the nights are drawing in now probably happen more unless I'm out in morning. Chain cassette rag and reoil most times. Used to use hope cleaning fluid expensive so on look out for cheaper stuff. Happy cleaning

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Every ride recently, aim is to get it clean enough with minimum water and chemicals. On an old work stand, wheels off and old hub/cassette on the rear. Fenwick's foaming chain cleaner on chain. Spray all over (but not motor or TCU) with Juice Lubes bike cleaner. Scrub chain and gears with Fenwick's chain sponge. Attach a cone brush to hose on low pressure and give it an all over, holding against chain and cassette. Use car wheel cleaning brush on nooks and crannies. With the wheels off I can get in most of places with minimum water. GT85 to dispel water from the chain. Dry off with a towel finishing with chain and cogs. Wheels similar and into the garage. Battery out and clean under the bash guard. If necessary take off bash guard and clean in the sink Take battery indoors and leave it all to dry off. Sounds a lot but takes less than 15 mins.

Master_G

Oct 13, 2019
Gloucester
I clean mine using a Worx portable power washer, it's a lot less pressure than a real pressure washer and probably less forceful than a hose pipe, it's almost like a fine mist, full wash probably uses 4 litres of water. I spray all over, just not directing anything into the switch or motor, although there's a bit of a mud trap at the rear of the Kenevo so I do give that a very quick blast so it clears. Afterwards I just use some GT85 on a rag and give it all a wipe down, tiny squirt behind the driveside crank for the freewheel thing to stay smooth. I've had no problems but I do keep my bike in the warm straight away afterwards.

Not saying what I do is right but it works for me so far.

Best thing about the Worx hydroshot is that I can do it straight after a ride at the trail centre and it comes off a lot easier than if it was dried on.

z1ppy

E*POWAH Master
May 11, 2018
West Mids
I keep the drive train clean, just with a hose & muck off. Blast some gt85 to disperse any water, then lube it. Wipe off the fork stantions & shock shaft, then lube it with silicon spray, cycle the suspension to lift the crap out of the seals, then wipe it all off again, then relube with the silicon. I don’t tend to worry about keeping the rest clean, just do it when the dirt is starting to add to the weight.
I haven’t yet taken the non-drive side cover to check for dirt build up but it’s on my to do list

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I keep the drive train clean, just with a hose & muck off. Blast some gt85 to disperse any water, then lube it. Wipe off the fork stantions & shock shaft, then lube it with silicon spray, cycle the suspension to lift the crap out of the seals, then wipe it all off again, then relube with the silicon. I don’t tend to worry about keeping the rest clean, just do it when the dirt is starting to add to the weight.
I haven’t yet taken the non-drive side cover to check for dirt build up but it’s on my to do list

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Well believe it or not 34 miler today and only had to half clean the bike , down tube clartit but rest ok and chain pretty clean.

Master_G

Oct 13, 2019
Gloucester
Well believe it or not 34 miler today and only had to half clean the bike , down tube clartit but rest ok and chain pretty clean.
Done 14 miles of XC stuff on my Kenevo (I know wrong tool for the job but my local trails are bogs right now) and had to thoroughly clean everything, most of the riding was grass and stone.. Unfortunately a tiny rock got caught in the rear linkage and decided it likes the taste of the alloy frame.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Done 14 miles of XC stuff on my Kenevo (I know wrong tool for the job but my local trails are bogs right now) and had to thoroughly clean everything, most of the riding was grass and stone.. Unfortunately a tiny rock got caught in the rear linkage and decided it likes the taste of the alloy frame.
It was rare treat not to have to go through the whole cleaning Monty for once . I am sick of having to stop and pick loads of twisted Heather or grass from jockey wheels half way through a ride everything so over grown roll on winter and snow is clean haha

frankenbike

Sep 18, 2019
After a muddy ride I used to clean my bike immediately using low pressure garden hose and a brush then air compressor to blow dry, wipe the chain and mech pulleys and cassette and relube.
Now I am convinced even the low pressure water wash does more harm than good. Also, I just replaced my EX1 drive train at 1880 miles - about $500usd.
Sooo, now what I do is I leave my bike overnight to dry then remove the dried mud with a brush and then wipe down fork, shock and dropper stanchions with a clean cloth. This works really well and just leaves a slight layer of dust, but I have noticed much less ingress of moisture into the motor. I brush the mech pulleys and cassette to remove sludge then run the chain through a cleaning tool using simple green, blow dry with compressed air and then relube the chain and mech - I'm doing this to the drive train after every ride now - it runs and shifts smoother and quieter and I will be curious to see how much this extends the life of the drivetrain.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
After a muddy ride I used to clean my bike immediately using low pressure garden hose and a brush then air compressor to blow dry, wipe the chain and mech pulleys and cassette and relube.
Now I am convinced even the low pressure water wash does more harm than good. Also, I just replaced my EX1 drive train at 1880 miles - about $500usd.
Sooo, now what I do is I leave my bike overnight to dry then remove the dried mud with a brush and then wipe down fork, shock and dropper stanchions with a clean cloth. This works really well and just leaves a slight layer of dust, but I have noticed much less ingress of moisture into the motor. I brush the mech pulleys and cassette to remove sludge then run the chain through a cleaning tool using simple green, blow dry with compressed air and then relube the chain and mech - I'm doing this to the drive train after every ride now - it runs and shifts smoother and quieter and I will be curious to see how much this extends the life of the drivetrain.
Yes i leave for few hours minimum or as you say wait till next day. Front and back sprinkling with hose and sponge rest . Can't be too viscous with the water.

Master_G

Oct 13, 2019
Gloucester
It was rare treat not to have to go through the whole cleaning Monty for once . I am sick of having to stop and pick loads of twisted Heather or grass from jockey wheels half way through a ride everything so over grown roll on winter and snow is clean haha
Was almost tempted to take the old Orange Alpine 6 out instead. That thing lives dirty ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France

The Kenevo is the right tool for every job ! :)

If you check the "official turbo kenevo" thread, in the last couple of pages christian put up some pictures of twin mucky nuts guards which can move together and look like they should potentially provide the best protection in that area. I've had the small stone problem too.

(don't read back much further, you'll learn more than any man should know about the sexual habits of Australians)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I hose mine to make it wetter than it already is and hopefully rinse off anything muddy and sharp. Then blow most of the water off with a small 18v makita leaf blower (they're tiny) but it gets the water off everywhere. Then wipe it dry/clean with a clean microfiber cloth. Gt85/ wipe anything which moves.

frankenbike

Sep 18, 2019
Another option, after a muddy ride, is to not wash the bike, your gear, your riding clothes or your vehicle - instead, the next time you go riding just pretend it is a continuation of the previous ride with a really long snack break in between (Duh-nile is not just a river ;)

RipTide

Sep 2, 2019
California
Car cleaning brush to clean the rims. Old habit as I used to have rim brakes. Microfiber cloth as it has been dry and dusty: frame, seat post, and shocks. Toilet brush (dedicated to bike cleaning only) to clean gears, chain, and jockey wheels. Dry lube chain.
I have been researching dielectric grease as I know the wet weather is coming. Is anyone using on the charging contact area to help keep water out?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Fortunate that the forests I ride are sandy/loam so I leave it overnight and just use a soft brush to remove most of it. Then a bike brush set to clean of cassette and jockey wheels etc. Then wipe over with a damp cloth...dry off with towelling and wipe over with silicone spray. I lube chain etc after every ride and do a chain/cassette clean with chain cleaner bath occasionally. If the bike is plastered with more clay type mud after a non local ride I use a Mucoff and a wet sponge...never a hose. I clean the main battery/motor connection with contact cleaner once a week and apply silicone dry lube to the O ring on the battery lead plus a smear of grease on the angled face behind it. I also clean the charger connector with contact cleaner and keep it sealed in a small pull string bag to prevent contamination and oxidisation.

Captain45

Oct 1, 2019
Usa
I noticed today while I was cleaning the drive train, when backpedaling with an Allen wrench in the crank that the bike powers on by itself and flashes some warning lights. Normal?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I noticed today while I was cleaning the drive train, when backpedaling with an Allen wrench in the crank that the bike powers on by itself and flashes some warning lights. Normal?

Someone else did have that a few weeks ago .. so you're not alone .. alas, senility means I can't remember the thread ..

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I think the conclusion was that by running the motor backwards you turn it into a generator. The manual does say the battery should be removed before doing any work on the bike...….probably most specifically on the drivetrain.

SmackIt

Jul 21, 2019
Reno
I'm trying to understand this fear of water. The motor is completely sealed. Pressure washing, very bad, I get it. But a gentle sudsy bath followed by a wipe down and chain lube seems fine to me. I always turn the bike upside down after washing for a minute to let water run out of little crevices.

Captain45

Oct 1, 2019
Usa
Someone else did have that a few weeks ago .. so you're not alone .. alas, senility means I can't remember the thread ..

2019 Levo turns battery on unexpectedly - EMTB Forums

Found it. Very odd indeed. I think backpedaling was turning my bike on and then running backwards was tripping a speed sensor error. Ill probably just unplug the harness when Im cleaning the drivetrain and then plugging it back on when rinsing her all down just to be safe.

Master_G

Oct 13, 2019
Gloucester
I'm trying to understand this fear of water. The motor is completely sealed. Pressure washing, very bad, I get it. But a gentle sudsy bath followed by a wipe down and chain lube seems fine to me. I always turn the bike upside down after washing for a minute to let water run out of little crevices.
I treat it just like a bottom bracket basically, making sure that the control doesn't get too wet either.

Glen

Nov 19, 2018
New Zealand
After every ride (25-35km) I oil the chain with turps thinned 20/50 oil and then clean gears and chain thoroughly with towel, check the brakes. not much other than that. 2019 levo app 5500km. have washed it a few times but normally if muddy just give it a hose down. Now refuse to use dry lube. I ride in wet/sometimes muddy, sandy tracks.
I've also learnt it pays to clean and lube charging ports connections.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles