Whats with all the snobbery around warranty work?

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Blimey, you seem an angry feller Gary.
I could have used a power tool sales place (I had an expensive drill go a bit awry on me, they sent it back to the authorised repairer and a week later i received my refurbed drill...at no charge to me)

poor guy just joins up to the forum and gets the full force of Gary on one of his very first posts. ??

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
My local dealer had no stock. Bought online. Local dealer policy is not to undertake any warranty work for bikes not bought from them. Even though they are an authorised Giant dealer.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
It would be interesting to hear from the industry re. payment for warranty work.

I've had shops tell me they don't get paid for it and other shops tell me they do and refuse my offer of payment (in that case the bike had come from somewhere else so I wasn't expecting a freebie). My LBS is excellent and even built me a wheel while I waited after Trek sent the wrong one.

Spesh warranty is supposed to be available from any Spesh dealer but I know of one chain that will charge if the bike wasn't bought in one of their stores. I don't know if it's because they don't get paid for the work or if it's a fuck you for not buying the bike from them.
I'm guessing that each manufacturer has their own way of doing things. I used to work in the IT industry - acer would pay for everything usually. Other manufacturers were not so generous. As Gary said, researching stuff, determining it to be a warranty issue, organising an rma, packing and sending. Then having to deal with the customer's enquiries on progress, chasing things up when they haven't arrived, reassembling and testing - hopefully it's all good at that point. It was a service performed by us for our clients - not a money maker. At best we were covered for our time (Acer), all the others we were subsidised by the payment for warranty work. We took on any acer warranty work, anything else only if it was bought from us. Things may be different now.

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I wonder how many other forum users have been put off this great forum by GARY Adolph Hitler
Zero ... they wouldn't be here would they ... :p

Ask yourself how many forum users have also been helped or had their issues solved by GARY "I don't sugar coat anything, but I don't hold a grudge and I'm direct because I'm honest and I'm not here to fluff you"

Everyone here is entitled to their opinions and entitled to express their opinions. Yes, sometimes lines are crossed. People can report a post and a moderator will look into it.

"No Sugar" hasn't said anything which is actually offensive. He's only been direct. Sometimes people don't like that, but it's a forum , you shouldn't take it personally - you can't read many of the emotions which are there when it's written. You can ask questions and find out more. Personally, I find if I read his posts in a Scottish accent they sound soothing rather than aggressive .. (but not .. really really soothing .... :eek:)

Or you can just click ignore and they will cease to exist in your own little private forum world - though you'd also miss out on any useful information that person gives out. This is what I don't understand - people complain they don't like what someone writes - they have the option to not see it - IT'S THAT SIMPLE !

If you were to take a moment and think about what's actually offensive or not, you certainly wouldn't be labelling another forum user as being the leader of the Nazi party.

NotAveJoe

Nov 19, 2019
Wyoming
I don't think you can understate how much this weighs on buyers' minds. I've ordered a Trek from a bike shop 50 miles away that won't arrive until the end of Feb when I could have purchased the same bike from a shop 120 miles away. I just know my LBS wouldn't be thrilled about dealing with issues on that bike, so I'll wait it out.

It does seem like bike shops have a lot more autonomy to choose how they want to handle warranty work than other industries.

markfitton

Jul 6, 2020
uk
LBS are mostly small businesses, trying to stay in business . I really don’t get the attitude of people who think they are entitled to take them for a ride ( pun intended) over warranty issues.
As far as I’m concerned , part of the sale price profit ,is to take care off warranty issues. If they don’t get this why should they sort out your problems, for a bike bought somewhere else.

Try looking at it from the bike shops perspective instead of your own.?
if you won’t support them ,why the hell would they want to make your life easier , and support you.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I supported my LBS for 20 years+ I bought four bikes from them before I got into mtb. Whatever I couldn't do myself was taken there. I was given 10% discount on all parts because I was in their top 100 spending customers. But in the last three years I found myself using them less and less. I would ring them up with a job and be told that they couldn't touch it for two weeks. I asked if I could book it in and bring it in the day before. They said no. In other words I had to leave the bike with them for two weeks in a queue while it was cluttering up their workshop, at increased risk of being stolen in a break in (had happened before, not to me thankfully), or get chipped while it was being moved around.
On that occasion, I took the bike elsewhere and it got fixed overnight.

On other occasions, I was made to feel like I was demanding special treatment, when I wasn't. "You can't just push in, there's a queue you know!" I wasn't trying to push in, just wanting to know when the bike would be ready. These were the guys who I took some Mars bars to for Xmas after a special bit of service that I appreciated. I even gave my last tube of Honey & Lemon Locketts to one of the mechanics when he could hardly speak. (I was struggling too, but I had some more at home).

I suspect that their owner who started the shop and had moved on to other things was putting pressure on them. It all came to a head when I first took my emtb in there and they just looked at it. I didn't want anything doing to the "E", but I decided to find a new LBS from then on. I soon got one in the next town, only 3 miles further away. They were the guys that recently helped me out with a wheel/tyre problem overnight - twice; and said "no charge" each time. I gave them a fiver each time because I was so appreciative. And they sell ebikes!

Using an LBS is a two-way street.

markfitton

Jul 6, 2020
uk
I supported my LBS for 20 years+ I bought four bikes from them before I got into mtb. Whatever I couldn't do myself was taken there. I was given 10% discount on all parts because I was in their top 100 spending customers. But in the last three years I found myself using them less and less. I would ring them up with a job and be told that they couldn't touch it for two weeks. I asked if I could book it in and bring it in the day before. They said no. In other words I had to leave the bike with them for two weeks in a queue while it was cluttering up their workshop, at increased risk of being stolen in a break in (had happened before, not to me thankfully), or get chipped while it was being moved around.
On that occasion, I took the bike elsewhere and it got fixed overnight.

On other occasions, I was made to feel like I was demanding special treatment, when I wasn't. "You can't just push in, there's a queue you know!" I wasn't trying to push in, just wanting to know when the bike would be ready. These were the guys who I took some Mars bars to for Xmas after a special bit of service that I appreciated. I even gave my last tube of Honey & Lemon Locketts to one of the mechanics when he could hardly speak. (I was struggling too, but I had some more at home).

I suspect that their owner who started the shop and had moved on to other things was putting pressure on them. It all came to a head when I first took my emtb in there and they just looked at it. I didn't want anything doing to the "E", but I decided to find a new LBS from then on. I soon got one in the next town, only 3 miles further away. They were the guys that helped me out with a wheel/tyre problem overnight - twice and said "no charge" each time. I gave them a fiver each time because I was so appreciative. And they sell ebikes!

Using an LBS is a two-way street.
yep , course it is Steve... there's good and bad with everybody, everything. If you don't get on with a shop, its unusual to go back. I still think its unfair buying a bike cheaper elsewhere , then expecting you local to do the warranty work.

anyway Steve how's sherwood riding at the moment... pretty wet at cannock on Thursday, but holding up and no thick mud, we bumped into two of your locals who had come across for a change of scenery. LGV drivers both on electrics.

EME

MUPPET
Subscriber
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
I must admit that whilst I can see many 'inconsistencies' written about warranty management by e-bike companies and various chains/shops , they are not the only industry where this happens. In fact whilst some here quote cars and power tools, there are many other niche as opposed to commodity industries with even greater issues and differentiation over warranty management. Let alone one where the objective of the product is to be exposed to the worst possible treatment.

E-MTBs are still an evolutionary niche market. I always expected issues, I think Ive been amazingly lucky to dodge the inevitable bullet --- so far. I've also ben very surprised at the high quality of components at reasonable prices ( Ive not been into bikes for a very long time).

You do get the feeling on here as well that folks have little loyalty to their LBS but are unreasonable in their expectations from them.

A couple of starters where warranty is far worse supported by 'dealers' than e-bikes:-
Boats -- and anything to do with them ( and far more expensive than e-bikes) -- almost an expectation that they go wrong and the owner picks up the bill
RVs -- very few manufacturers nd even less service outlets
Many 'niche' kitchen appliances
Fitness electronics

Last edited:

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
The only part of a bike warranty I am interested in for if the frame blows apart, it doesn't happen very often, but I have had a carbon frame shatter underneath me and luckily it was replaced FOC. which is why was pleased to see Spec drop Carbon from the Comp spec!

Reactions: EME

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn
seems simple if they want to be a approved dealer for a brand then they have to accept warranty work as par the coarse. If they don't like it just be an unofficial dealer, with no official approved sales/warranty work or trade prices simple. However as mentioned who knows what agreements are in place.

I bought my daily driver online the local dealer is more than happy to handle with recalls/warranty work it had. I now use them for servicing too because of it. I doubt they be a dealer long if they turned me away.

My advice is email the relevant manufacture with your experience see what shakes loose. Could be a petty LBS or there no obligation beyond bikes they sell.

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
It all depends on the owners business model.

A lot of bike shops are owned and run by Mountain Bikers, not businessmen. It depends on your ability to look into the future and how good at customer service you are (and what your patience level is with customers)

If you fix 10 people’s bike ‘free’ who bought them online, a couple may come back at a later date to buy a bike from you and all that ‘free’ work may pay for itself and so it snowballs. Look at Berkshire Cycles.

However, not all shops have the capacity to do this. A smaller shop in the Surrey Hills said he just wasn’t set up for the influx of business he has had in the workshop over lockdown and there’s been a weeks delay even for the most minor of jobs. But he’s done his best and been up front about that.

Mountain Biking is one of the few industries where you make such a purchase locally from an independent dealer brand new. Long may it continue. I think every shop is different in it’s approach. And every customer is different in theres as well so it’s a melting pot of opinions and standards very hard to pinpoint individually. Find a good shop and stick with them..!

Darren

Sep 25, 2019
Warwick
With the motor industry there are "franchised dealers" these are obliged to complete warranty repairs and are fully compensated for the work - this is required for motor vehicles as they can be very dangerous if not in full working order. The motor industry has Block Exemption from EU free trade laws because of the risks they pose.
I believe bike shops in the main (unless brand owned) are "authorised service agents" and as such are certified to carry out repairs by the manufacturers and will not be free to handle warranty however they individually determine with the manufacturers.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK

anyway Steve how's sherwood riding at the moment... pretty wet at cannock on Thursday, but holding up and no thick mud, we bumped into two of your locals who had come across for a change of scenery. LGV drivers both on electrics.
I've not been to Pines for a while now, no front wheel!

But the off-piste stuff I ride stays drier for longer than the regular trails, maybe because it gets ridden less. Pines stays dry for ages and ages, until all of a sudden it doesn't!

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia

Ask yourself how many forum users have also been helped or had their issues solved by GARY "I don't sugar coat anything, but I don't hold a grudge and I'm direct because I'm honest and I'm not here to fluff you"

Everyone here is entitled to their opinions and entitled to express their opinions. Yes, sometimes lines are crossed. People can report a post and a moderator will look into it.

"No Sugar" hasn't said anything which is actually offensive. He's only been direct. Sometimes people don't like that, but it's a forum , you shouldn't take it personally - you can't read many of the emotions which are there when it's written. You can ask questions and find out more. Personally, I find if I read his posts in a Scottish accent they sound soothing rather than aggressive .. (but not .. really really soothing .... :eek:)

Or you can just click ignore and they will cease to exist in your own little private forum world - though you'd also miss out on any useful information that person gives out. This is what I don't understand - people complain they don't like what someone writes - they have the option to not see it - IT'S THAT SIMPLE !

If you were to take a moment and think about what's actually offensive or not, you certainly wouldn't be labelling another forum user as being the leader of the Nazi party.
apologist

apol·o·gist | \ ə-ˈpä-lə-jist \
Definition of apologist

: one who speaks or writes in defense of someone or something .

MitchF

E*POWAH Elite
Jun 1, 2019
Mirokumk38

Agree on the Adolph branding my friend but don’t agree on the subject matter, blocked him many months ago.
There’s “direct” and there’s aggressive and rude, I have no issue with the primary.

Rostle32

Sep 26, 2018
Uk
My experience on this , is do research on your supplying store and make the call !
I purchased my Rail 7 from Edge Cycleworks Lancaster this July, ( about 2 hr round trip) which I thought was reasonable, I had a dropper post issue, wiggle and waggle action ?,rung them on a Thursday and they booked me in a week later for warranty claim and I said could you do it while I wait ! ?,and they had stock of a bontrager 150 dropper, and would reserve that for me to get me goin ! Following Thursday 10am tipped up at shop , dropped bike off and asked if they could do a diagnostic check/ software update to make sure all was good, and they said yes but it’s £20 and give us an hour ! So off I went for a Macy’s Breakfast , came back at 11am bike done , new dropper and latest update,FULL ( every possible detail of operation) 3 page printout of the diagnostic data, great job , I said, what the damage ££ ? No Charge !! Now that’s how to operate a bike shop ! ???

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles