What's the go to rear mudguard for the Levo?

Chris6

Apr 4, 2019
South west
I ordered the Sicomtb dual guard for my 2019 expert Levo and the small part did not fit snug enough to not touch the tyre. I have the latest version levo that has a ruber/plastic fit where the rear bottom triangle meets the frame. Presumably, this new part protects the hole going into the engine. I have kept the upper part of the mudguard though

It will fit with clearance with a butcher tyre fitted .The cable ties at the rear of lower guard need to be pulled very tight with pointed nose pliers .Clearance is minimal & the chain stay side will need slight trimming to clear chain. If you want to stop mud going over the top & down to the motor housing you will need a longer mud guard as the sicomtb one is not long enough.A mudhugger rear guard will fit over the top of the sicomtb top section & stop nearly everything & keep you dry as well .

McInner1

Subscriber
Jun 8, 2019
Austria
On my Levo S-Works 2019 with original Butchers 2.6 I have these:
Mudhugger Long Front Fender
It fits perfectly and covers the motor area too.

CE79287C-7379-464E-BDA8-8119C2079B6E.jpeg

F1EA1A97-A709-4E55-A631-8A16B197584F.jpeg

67436442-E064-44E0-A61E-789B5CBEE80F.jpeg

A picture taken from underneath:
9C73811D-4330-4D76-B652-E3DC422D57A9.jpeg

Last edited:

Chris6

Apr 4, 2019
South west

View attachment 19742

View attachment 19746

View attachment 19743

View attachment 19744

View attachment 19742

View attachment 19746

View attachment 19743

View attachment 19744
I tried a similar set up with the rear guard fixed to the seat stays but you will find where it passes through chain stays it will be rubbing with suspension movement something the sicomtb one eliminates ( all be it at a price)

Shane’s1000rr

Apr 4, 2018
County Durham
Made this one from a enduro rearguard, when I used it on the seat the way it’s made for I found it useless so modified it to fit and protect the pivots and rear of motor Used it all last winter and worked fine not ideal but a cheap fix I found.
5D368619-8841-4F8C-93BC-83BC24A2A79A.png

Supratad

Nov 13, 2019
North Yorkshire, UK
I've been trying to get a good fitting guard of late. I made the mistake of buying a Topeak Defender, front and rear, neither of which fitted.
The front expander was too small for the steerer tube so I used a bit of short plastic tube, cut down it's length so it could expand and wrapped with a few O rings for better grip. This widened out the expander fitting and now it's rock solid

The rear however led me to a schoolboy error of forgetting the suspension travel. I wante dhte guard to fit to the seat tube and not the dropper.and the Topeak Defender has a fabric strap with plenty of size scope. Its arm was just too long though to clear the wheel so I set about it, cutting it down and slidingthe top bit into the lower bit.
IMG_7245.JPG
IMG_7247.JPG

Araldite and 4 self tappers and its a good-un.

IMG_7249.JPG

Need to adjust the angle and the lower flap but it seems ok. Might not be fine for big hits and Dhing, but for XC type rides seems fine.

That's the wet back/a**e covered but for the lower bit I cut into a Mucknutz front guard. Nice velcro strips on those.

IMG_7250.JPG
IMG_7251.JPG

MIght as well go for two on the front two and have 4 mudguards on the thing.
IMG_7252.JPG

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
So this is my mk2 version ....same material and same template but I mafe a couple of changes which should improve resilience. Firstly I used a drill to radius each internal corner before cutting out and second I extended the thermoforming to include the part that zip ties to the crosd member ( behind it not between it and the tyre). Both should help avoid creating a stress point where the tabs bend round to zip tie to the seat stays. At c £2.50 per mudguard its an easy low cost fix.

View attachment 19556
I followed Mikerb's layout. This is my home made mudguard

View attachment 22071

View attachment 22072

View attachment 22073

This looks great guys!

Would you be willing to post the shape and dimensions on here mikerb?

Did you stick with the 1mm thickness for the mk2?

Thanks

Blueblob

Aug 29, 2018
Guildford
I've been commuting with the Sicom mudguard for several months.
I found it hard to part with the money but believed the development and the bikeshop.
Tbh, I'm really disappointed and nearly got to the point of getting a refund.
Fits great as you'd expect.
Clearance is noisy but to be expected, but
I've come to the conclusion it is a mudguard for the bike and not me.
My backside just gets soaked.
I've left it on and run my topeak defender which does the job properly.

Maino

Sep 8, 2019
Italy
This looks great guys!

Would you be willing to post the shape and dimensions on here mikerb?

Did you stick with the 1mm thickness for the mk2?

Thanks

The material is polypropylene 1mm thick. This is the pdf drawing on A3 sheet.

Attachments

• Rear mudguard TL2020.pdf
    5.8 KB · Views: 709

57 Reaction

May 27, 2019
United Kingdom
The new Mudhugger Large was designed around the Levo rear stay angles and is extra long to keep you dry and mud free.

Here's a couple of pictures of the new MudHugger Large vs the MudHugger 29er (now called medium).

The new Large is a slightly different profile and about 100mm longer.

The Large is going on the Levo tomorrow, the smaller DIY guard that I have fitted currently fitted is OK to protect the bike but does nothing to keep muck and wet off me.

MudHugger website says it won't win a beauty contest but it's probably the best option if you want to keep reasonably clean and dry.

After trying several options I finally gave in and decided practicality wins over vanity.

mh1 (1).jpg

mh1 (2).jpg

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
Here's a couple of pictures of the new MudHugger Large vs the MudHugger 29er (now called medium).

The new Large is a slightly different profile and about 100mm longer.

The Large is going on the Levo tomorrow, the smaller DIY guard that I have fitted currently fitted is OK to protect the bike but does nothing to keep muck and wet off me.

MudHugger website says it won't win a beauty contest but it's probably the best option if you want to keep reasonably clean and dry.

After trying several options I finally gave in and decided practicality wins over vanity.

View attachment 22172

View attachment 22173

Hi 57 Reaction, I've ordered the new large Mudhugger too, it will be interesting to see how it fits.

They say it's designed around the Levo, so hopefully it will be a good fit.

It fits the top stay which means there is no guard between the top and chain stays, hence my asking about Mikerb and Maino's guards, to fill the gap and muck getting to the pivot behind the motor.

Being new to all this, I could just be creating more issues for myself though :)

57 Reaction

May 27, 2019
United Kingdom
Hi 57 Reaction, I've ordered the new large Mudhugger too, it will be interesting to see how it fits.

They say it's designed around the Levo, so hopefully it will be a good fit.

It fits the top stay which means there is no guard between the top and chain stays, hence my asking about Mikerb and Maino's guards, to fill the gap and muck getting to the pivot behind the motor.

Being new to all this, I could just be creating more issues for myself though :)
I have a diy guard to fill the gap.
I'll post some pictures after I've got it all fitted.

57 Reaction

May 27, 2019
United Kingdom
Look forward to seeing that!

Not too difficult I hope :)

Here are the photos of the Large MudHugger + my DIY lower section.

Just a trial fit at the moment to check clearances, which look to be OK, quite close where lower section is attached to swingarm pivot, approx 3mm, only time will tell if it clogs in heavy mud.

Not the best looking, but hopefully the most effective solution........................

mh3.jpg

mh4.jpg

mh5.jpg

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
Here are the photos of the Large MudHugger + my DIY lower section.

Just a trial fit at the moment to check clearances, which look to be OK, quite close where lower section is attached to swingarm pivot, approx 3mm, only time will tell if it clogs in heavy mud.

Not the best looking, but hopefully the most effective solution........................

View attachment 22197

View attachment 22198

View attachment 22199

Looks good 57, what did you use for the gap?

Timbolevo

Nov 16, 2019
USA
Mounted the sicomtb rear and crud xl front.I added some gorilla tape below the bottom edge of the rear to provide extra protection for an area not completely covered. Customer service sent a video that helped with the rear installation. This bike really jams with mud so unless you do something the engine area will most likely have mud forced into it. Going for the first dirt ride since install this week so i’ll report back.
happy trails.
B665C751-5033-491A-AEAF-2D77F794D070.png
10028826-AA62-41BF-AA7D-C17D34085704.png
A79BC8B6-429C-4F7E-B8EA-D2A9D6C48627.png

57 Reaction

May 27, 2019
United Kingdom
Mounted the sicomtb rear and crud xl front.I added some gorilla tape below the bottom edge of the rear to provide extra protection for an area not completely covered. Customer service sent a video that helped with the rear installation. This bike really jams with mud so unless you do something the engine area will most likely have mud forced into it. Going for the first dirt ride since install this week so i’ll report back.
happy trails.
View attachment 22211 View attachment 22212 View attachment 22213

Some pictures attached showing the bike after yesterdays ride with the Large MudHugger.

Whilst probably not the muddiest of rides (thanks to our ride leaders route choice) there were some deep puddles and very boggy sections, I think the "tide mark" on the down tube shows that there was quite a bit of mud present.

Very little mud on around/behind motor and zero on seatpost + seat, more importantly zero on me !

I didn't notice the rear "whale tail" whilst riding and it definitely works so I'm calling that a success.

Nice to get home dry.

mh6.jpg

mh7.jpg

mh8.jpg

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
Some pictures attached showing the bike after yesterdays ride with the Large MudHugger.

Whilst probably not the muddiest of rides (thanks to our ride leaders route choice) there were some deep puddles and very boggy sections, I think the "tide mark" on the down tube shows that there was quite a bit of mud present.

Very little mud on around/behind motor and zero on seatpost + seat, more importantly zero on me !

I didn't notice the rear "whale tail" whilst riding and it definitely works so I'm calling that a success.

Nice to get home dry.

View attachment 22373

View attachment 22375

View attachment 22376
taking mine out for a test ride soon, so hopefully the same results.

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
I haven't got round to trying the extra mudguard in addition to the large Mudhugger yet and wanted a quick ride out today.

So i thought I'd try a different tack and made a cover for the pivot area, it's made from a Christmas card package which is flexible. I stuck it on with a piece of duct tape and went for the ride.

To my surprise, it works brilliantly in stopping anything getting to the pivot, so tomorrow I'll look at how to make it easily to put on and off. I can see there is protective film there already so I'm thinking either sticky velcro or a velcro strap.

It all seems too easy, The Mudhugger to keep the mud off me and this cover to keep the mud out of the pivot, am I missing something?
IMG_6194.JPG
IMG_6196.JPG
IMG_6198.JPG

thewrx

Sep 4, 2019
US
One thing I am noticing with my sicomtb rear guard is that when i take decent old man sized jumps it rubs pretty bad, thus I have to get off my bike and tweak it back in place. I am guessing this occurs when the tire flexs from the compression and catches the inside edge of the fender. Not that big of deal crusing but gets annoying quick on the trails.

I am running 29x2.6 eddy currents on a 2019 btw.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles