What's the go to rear mudguard for the Levo?

AML

Mar 12, 2019
USA - Virginia
Nice job on your custom one. That SicoMTB one looks good. I wonder how much it would cost to ship it to the US?

It is expensive, but cheap compared to what we already spent on the cost of the bikes...

Jeff H

May 19, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
SicoMTB mud guard $70 + $14 shipping = $84 USD to California

In the grand scheme of things not much vs. the big $$$ we paid for the bike, especially for a small-volume custom-fitted product. Besides, I'm already in for a new rack to transport the beast (1 Up USA). My Kuat Sherpa 2.0 is technically overloaded and the Levo is longer than the max rating (it hangs precariously off to one side). Oh, and I like the Blevo app but really should get one of those cheap outdoor-rated phones... What's another $84? :p

Untitled.jpg

AML

Mar 12, 2019
USA - Virginia
Thank you!

Thumbs up to the 1up racks. I have 2 :) I have a silver double with one extension (for a total of 3 bikes) and I just recently got a super duty single black rack one.

There are a lot of new racks coming out that copy that same idea, but I have been happy with my old one.

D69AF40C-C1C9-40F6-9482-93C711C68352.jpeg

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I have fitted a Halfords front mudguard...£3 ...and virtually identical to the Enduro. For me its a trial to see if fitting a mudguard between the tyre and the seat stay cross member will work without clogging up. The clearance to the tyre canot be any more than 2mm. On a dry forest trail ride it was OK....on connecting fireroads small pieces of gravel caught in the tread were rubbing against it. So not convinced it will work in sticky/muddy conditions. I am going to make my own and have already designed a template. I could actually use the template I have made but decided the plastic it was cut from is a bit too stiff so it is a bit of struggle fitting it. I will use a plastic that is a little thinner and more flexible ( but not much!) . The difference between this and the Enduro style one I have already fitted is that it goes behind the seat stay cross member...not between it and the tyre. Tyre clearance is then not an issue. It is also longer at the top and the seat stay "flaps" are broader to provide greater protection.
20190522_204704.jpg

Jeff H

May 19, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
Mikerb,

Yeah, I’m concerned about debris getting pinched between the tire and fender behind the cross member on my set-up too. I haven’t had the chance to properly put it through its paces. For that matter the Sicomtb guard might have the same issue. Maybe worse as it doesn’t have much of a lead-in taper and I can imagine something large enough hitting the leading edge square on and mangling it. :unsure:

Behind the cross member like you said might be the way to go. Show us what you come up with!

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Will do.....I just need to find a used container with the right grade of plastic .....something that contained bleach or screenwash is best.

jonpress

Oct 23, 2018
Iver
That does look good but crikey it's expensive I wonder if anyone has got one as I would like to hear a user opinion on it.
Just watched @Rob Hancill latest video where he has it on his levo. It will be interesting to hear how it performs. I’d be interested in one but as mentioned it’s certainly not cheap. I wonder if there would be any chance of a group buy?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
As an update on my plans to make my own I decided first off to identify the type of plastic used to make the various mudguards out there...and where to source a supply. So the right plastic is called Plasticard (UK)....also known in the US as Styrene or HIPS. The matt finish version is best if you intend to paint or glue the finished product. I ordered 1mm thick which is as thick as you need to go....most of the branded mudguards are 0.5mm or 0.75mm.....which is easier to cut etc but I want mote deflection strength. Plasticard sheet is extensively used for modelling so craft/ modelling outlets are the best supply source. Plasticard is flexible, non brittle, can be easilly cut glued and painted. You can also thermoform it with water at 80°c using a former. I got 3 sheets each 325mmx440mm for £9 inc postage....enough to make 3 rear mudguards. I am on ver3 for the template. If that is right I can cut and fit in the next couple of days

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Diy mudguard....cost £3. The difference between this and stock items are
1. Thicker material...1mm
2. Fixed behind the cross bar of the upper chain stays...not between the tyre and the cross member.
3. Tall enough to match the top of the diameter of the rear wheel/tyre.
The motor protection seal/kit will be fitted on my bike at its free service so I probably will not bother with a separate piece below this one. Meanwhile I have pushed a kitchen sink sponge/scourer into the gap and replace it every couple of rides.

20190606_154635.jpg

jonpress

Oct 23, 2018
Iver
I have just fitted the SicoMtb Duo Guard to my Levo Carbon Comp. I would be keen to hear from anyone who has fitted this so far with regards to what tyres you are using. I have the 29x2.6 Eddy Current which rubs on the cable ties used for fitting across the chain stay. I have contacted SicoMtb to see if there if the Carbon Comp is affected like the S Works model which they mention on the website. It will be a shame if I have to return it.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Any guard fitted between the tyre and the upper chain stay cross member leaves a ridiculously small clearance.....that why I made my own and made it to fit on the seat tube skde of the cross member

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
The thing is I just don't like the way any of the mudguards look and they often fit on with those horrible cable ties which leave marks, and now I have the new Specialized fix fitted to protect that area it doesn't need one now as nothing will get past that fix so i am staying mudguard free :)

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I use frame protector patches under the zip ties. The main reason for my mudguard was to protect the suspension linkakes and frame from mud and stones. Yep the new protector ...or just a sponge stuffed down the gap is all that is needed to stop crud getting in the motor housing.

AML

Mar 12, 2019
USA - Virginia
I have just fitted the SicoMtb Duo Guard to my Levo Carbon Comp. I would be keen to hear from anyone who has fitted this so far with regards to what tyres you are using. I have the 29x2.6 Eddy Current which rubs on the cable ties used for fitting across the chain stay. I have contacted SicoMtb to see if there if the Carbon Comp is affected like the S Works model which they mention on the website. It will be a shame if I have to return it.

Dang, I just ordered one today...hopefully I can figure something out.

I had to take a Dremel to my CRUD XL front fender to get it to fit right.

jonpress

Oct 23, 2018
Iver
Dang, I just ordered one today...hopefully I can figure something out.

I had to take a Dremel to my CRUD XL front fender to get it to fit right.
I heard back from Simon at Sicomtb, you have to really push the lower guard on to make sure it is fitted properly. I have removed the cable ties and refitted and whilst there is not much clearance it is not rubbing. I will have to see what it’s like when things get muddy.

I really can’t fault the customer service though, they’ve been really helpful.

Reactions: AML

Chris6

Apr 4, 2019
South west
I heard back from Simon at Sicomtb, you have to really push the lower guard on to make sure it is fitted properly. I have removed the cable ties and refitted and whilst there is not much clearance it is not rubbing. I will have to see what it’s like when things get muddy.

I really can’t fault the customer service though, they’ve been really helpful.

I’ve just fitted one with the factory butcher tyres .The 2 rear zip ties had to be pulled up first on the lower part really tight ,used 2 pairs of pointed nose pliers to achieve this .No rubbing but close. The chain stay ties were tightened up after .I had to trim the plastic a little to clear chain line in all gears .

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
As an update on this project the mudguard performed really well right up to last week when it broke. On inspection a small section on each side of the chainstay tabs had become brittle. I kept the template so it takes only a few minutes to cut a new one from a £2 sheet of plasticard. I do wonder however whether polypropylene sheet would stand up the flexing better. The problem is I cannot find a supplier of 1mm polyethylene sheet that does not charge a minimum order value of £40 whereas I can get 3 or 4 plasticard sheets at £2 each with no surcharge.

Haedesz

Sep 20, 2019
Belgium
As an update on this project the mudguard performed really well right up to last week when it broke. On inspection a small section on each side of the chainstay tabs had become brittle. I kept the template so it takes only a few minutes to cut a new one from a £2 sheet of plasticard. I do wonder however whether polypropylene sheet would stand up the flexing better. The problem is I cannot find a supplier of 1mm polyethylene sheet that does not charge a minimum order value of £40 whereas I can get 3 or 4 plasticard sheets at £2 each with no surcharge.

I made front and rear guard for a 2020 Levo out of heated laminating pouches for paper documents, commonly used in offices. These are made out of PET (worst, brittle) or EVA (best, also used as a hot melt adhesive).
They don't cost a thing but do require you to have either a laminator or some kind of heating source.
You can stack them to any desired thickness by fusing/melting them together.

With the right template you don't need to thermoform after that because the sheets bend in a perfect U-shape and stay perfect after ziptying.
Just my 2 cents (litterally) El Cheapo solution
I even used the exact same template for front and rear. Dont judge :D.
20190929_213019.jpg

20190929_205323.jpg

Last edited:

JMD

Jul 26, 2019
Staffordshire
Sicomtb dual guard is expensive, but it's the best available.
I thought about buying cheaper guards & doing a DIY lash up, but thought better of it.

WLEBay

Sep 18, 2019
San Francisco, CA
I have Mucky Nutz front and rear here. Unlike the poster earlier in the thread mine is mounted the same direction as the front guard.

Works well for me but in here in NorCal our guards are more for rocks than for mud so YMMV.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I have just fitted the Mudhugger FRX ( xl front mudguard) as a rear mudguard. It needed just a little cut off the front but other than that it has multiple marked but not drilled hole options for the cross member zip ties. The upper 2 were a perfect fit. The mudguard is a pretty close fit the tyre all along its length so I was sceptical whether it would work. Used it yesterday on my local forest trails and it worked absolutely fine. We have had a fair bit of rain so there were boggy sections and the forest floor was of course wet. The conditions are however sandy loam rather than clay/sticky mud. So in those conditions, which to be fair are my usual riding haunts around here it is fine. Whether it would survive more claggy mud without clogging up is debateable.
So I have ordered more plasticard and am making a stock of 4 of my DIY design mudguards. Each mudguard takes a bout 20 minutes to make. Total cost for the 4 will be £10 and if each lasts as long as the first one it will be 2 years before I need to make any more. Or I may just use them as changeouts for non local rides that are likely to be more muddy!

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
So this is my mk2 version ....same material and same template but I mafe a couple of changes which should improve resilience. Firstly I used a drill to radius each internal corner before cutting out and second I extended the thermoforming to include the part that zip ties to the crosd member ( behind it not between it and the tyre). Both should help avoid creating a stress point where the tabs bend round to zip tie to the seat stays. At c £2.50 per mudguard its an easy low cost fix.

20191004_152328.jpg

ottoshape

Dec 19, 2018
Right Here
Ha! Just posted this pic in another thread and it fits here too! My mudguards just keep the mud/muck tolerable. The only goal is to keep mud/spray out of my face and try not to come back with 5kg plastered to the back of my jersey...
IMG_20190828_181323.jpg

jimmyjam

Sep 10, 2018
Surrey Hills, UK
I ordered the Sicomtb dual guard for my 2019 expert Levo and the small part did not fit snug enough to not touch the tyre. I have the latest version levo that has a ruber/plastic fit where the rear bottom triangle meets the frame. Presumably, this new part protects the hole going into the engine. I have kept the upper part of the mudguard though

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles