whats the deal with purchasing tires?

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
After ringer a few local bike shops including where I purchased my bike no one round my way stocks 29" x 2.6 tires :rolleyes: not even a 2.6 wide inner tube.

Are they a rare tire? My bike comes standard with Schwalbe nobi nic tires but there not tubeless , does anyone no if I can get the equivalent nobi nic in this size tubeless ? I keep out of thick mud and mainly stick to rideable hard pack or dry ground but I do a fair bit of road work getting to the trails so if anyone can suggest a decent tubeless tire I will order a pair on line

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
To be honest I am not sure, there fitted standard to the base model 2020 cube 140 but the details are a bit lacking, the only detail on the tire is as the pic below. Bonus if they are.

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
in the uk we use tyres :p
I fitted 2.4's instead of the standard 2.6 that came on the Levo and they are fine.. any reason you need 2.6 ?
To be honest I have thought the 2.6 is a bit wide but it comes as stock on the bike, would it affect the rolling radius and alter the bikes computer data if I reduced the width?

The Bear

Jan 19, 2020
South Yorks, England
Bike tyre sizes are a nightmare to figure out, with there being a number of different ways of stipulating the same size of tyre.
I searched for ages when trying to find some 29" tyres, but then learnt that some 28" tyres are actually the exact same sized tyres, strangely enough.
My Cube Reaction Race came with Schwalbe Smart Sam 29 x 2.6 tyres and I've since replaced with Schwalbe Big Apple 28" x 2.35. As far as the difference between the original 29" tres and the current 28" tyres, they are both the same size.
Confusing isn't it.

Last edited:

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
To be honest I have thought the 2.6 is a bit wide but it comes as stock on the bike, would it affect the rolling radius and alter the bikes computer data if I reduced the width?
I dunno mate, I was just trying to say that I didnt have any problems when I went from 2.6 to 2.4.
I fitted michelin wild enduro's and they are excellent and a million times better than the OEM tyres fitted to the Levo.

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
You can tell whether you definitely need a tube on your Nobby Nics quite easily. I once bought a set for a very low price. They were a bugger to seal and the sealant wept through the sidewalls for a couple of days. They also squirmed a fair bit in corners.

I then noticed that impressed into the tyre wall were the immortal words "Tube Type". It's in the black script a bit around from the tyre size and pressure information.

I've never had any problems sealing any other Nobby Nics, though. I've done several sets. Even the "Tube Type" did seal after a couple of days of weeping.

I've only ever bought tyres online. The local shops never have the right sizes. (Why should they? There are just too many types and sizes)

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Bike tyre sizes are a nightmare to figure out, with there being a number of different ways of stipulating the same size of tyre.

Confusing isn't it.

The reason for that is that for years 700c bikes with over 40c tyres were known as 28"ers and the fattest they were made were 45c. It wasn't until the introduction of the WTB Nanoraptor 52/47 tyre in 1999 that the diameter (almost) raised to 29"es and that is how they started to be marketed, well actually as 29ers but that is a whole other story.

So over time the 28" tag has endured but I have seen Conti tires that were clearly 28" tyres yet marked with a 29" label. As the Bear suggested it is all a bit of a nightmare to figure out but mainly due to the bike industry being marketing oriented.

Jamy

Sep 24, 2019
rotherham
your right 29 x 2.6 tyres and tubes are difficult to find. especially the tubes. What I did was fit Tannus Armour, that way you have to come down an innertube size to 2.1 which can be founs easily.

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
To be honest I am not sure, there fitted standard to the base model 2020 cube 140 but the details are a bit lacking, the only detail on the tire is as the pic below. Bonus if they are.

looking at the schwalbe site, all their addux compound nobby nics are either tl or tle ( ie tubeless) - they're perfeftly good light weight rubber.

If you want something more rugged, maxis dhf/dhr come in 29x2.6 - that's what my daughter runs on her scott 940. They're a big fat vague tyre, and a 29 x 2.5 will turn in quicker , is cheaper, and you can get ebike heavy and overpriced / overweight options in those sizes .

Just wear out the nobby nics first.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I found a similar problem, some tyre companies just don't make every tyre in every conceivable size. Fancy that! :(

Get yourself some Maxxis High Roller II 29x2.5, specifically the 3C WT Maxx Terra EXO TR spec. They were recommended on here, I got some personal recommendations, and I also had previous good experience with some 27.5x2.4 HRII on a YT Capra (analogue). So it was an easy decision for me.

3C = triple compound (carcass, centre knobs, edge knobs) (hard, medium, soft).
WT = wide trail (designed for wide rims, 30mm and above)
Maxx Terra (grippy but not super grippy, that would be Maxx Grip)
EXO = sidewall protection
TR = tubeless ready
The tyre weighs 1016gm.

The 29x2.6 Maxxis Rekon I took off was a very similar spec but was more of a dry weather tyre and failed to grip enough. It weighed 890gm, and with a 240gm inner tube.

The HRII tyre was night and day different to the Rekon in terms of grip. The 2.5 HRII looks wider than the 2.6 Rekons did! (but it's only 0.05" per side so who cares anyway). :love:

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
The reason for that is that for years 700c bikes with over 40c tyres were known as 28"ers and the fattest they were made were 45c. It wasn't until the introduction of the WTB Nanoraptor 52/47 tyre in 1999 that the diameter (almost) raised to 29"es and that is how they started to be marketed, well actually as 29ers but that is a whole other story.

So over time the 28" tag has endured but I have seen Conti tires that were clearly 28" tyres yet marked with a 29" label. As the Bear suggested it is all a bit of a nightmare to figure out but mainly due to the bike industry being marketing oriented.
I didn’t understand any of that ?

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
I found a similar problem, some tyre companies just don't make every tyre in every conceivable size. Fancy that! :(

Get yourself some Maxxis High Roller II 29x2.5, specifically the 3C WT Maxx Terra EXO TR spec. They were recommended on here, I got some personal recommendations, and I also had previous good experience with some 27.5x2.4 HRII on a YT Capra (analogue). So it was an easy decision for me.

3C = triple compound (carcass, centre knobs, edge knobs) (hard, medium, soft).
WT = wide trail (designed for wide rims, 30mm and above)
Maxx Terra (grippy but not super grippy, that would be Maxx Grip)
EXO = sidewall protection
TR = tubeless ready
The tyre weighs 1016gm.

The 29x2.6 Maxxis Rekon I took off was a very similar spec but was more of a dry weather tyre and failed to grip enough. It weighed 890gm, and with a 240gm inner tube.

The HRII tyre was night and day different to the Rekon in terms of grip. The 2.5 HRII looks wider than the 2.6 Rekons did! (but it's only 0.05" per side so who cares anyway). :love:

I was going to fit Maxxis but the options were so confusing

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
your right 29 x 2.6 tyres and tubes are difficult to find. especially the tubes. What I did was fit Tannus Armour, that way you have to come down an innertube size to 2.1 which can be founs easily.

I just ordered some 29 x 2.6 tubes Trendz.
Specialized make them. The size on the box is 29 x 2.4-2.8

Most bike shops look at me in a funny sort of way when I tell them I have 2.6 tyres. The last one said “that’s not a very common size. Sorry we don’t stock them”

Specialized Standard Tube | Tredz Bikes

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
After ringer a few local bike shops including where I purchased my bike no one round my way stocks 29" x 2.6 tires :rolleyes: not even a 2.6 wide inner tube.

Are they a rare tire? My bike comes standard with Schwalbe nobi nic tires but there not tubeless , does anyone no if I can get the equivalent nobi nic in this size tubeless ? I keep out of thick mud and mainly stick to rideable hard pack or dry ground but I do a fair bit of road work getting to the trails so if anyone can suggest a decent tubeless tire I will order a pair on line

Chain Reaction cycles do Nobby Nic 29 x 2.6
I use those tyres too. Wife uses Smart Sam 29 x 2.6 and they are both very similar in looks and performance.

Anyway, Chain Reaction have Nobby Nics in stock.
See below...

6BAA451C-0F1A-4417-87CC-8AF1F5249E9F.png

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I do find it rather bizarre that one of our most prolific high street bike shops which sells EMTBs which are basically all 29x2.6 seem to stock every tire and tube except ones of those dimensions ?.

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
£50 for a tyre is more expensive than one for the wifes car

You haven't figured out the partner paradox?

If SHE is commenting that your stuff costs more than hers , buy more expensive stuff and chose wisely next wife.

If YOU think it's worth spending more on her - you lucky bztrd.

But if she's driving a car with tyres that cheap and you're scared of her noticing ? Spend the $ on counselling.

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Chain Reaction cycles do Nobby Nic 29 x 2.6
I use those tyres too. Wife uses Smart Sam 29 x 2.6 and they are both very similar in looks and performance.

Anyway, Chain Reaction have Nobby Nics in stock.
See below...

That's expensive. Under 40€ at rosebikes.de

From memory, over 100€, postage is free. I usually buy enough tyres to reach the postage limit.

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
I use thee in my 29 tyres..

81Q4O1KjO1L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
To be honest I've gone for this option now, when my tyre wears out I will upgrade to a tubeless tyre, this and a bike hut mtb hard rubber protector, crude but functional.

My old standard inner tube gained a puncture last week ( thorn) and was filled on route with some temporary tire weld then pumped up to get me home, this same tube managed another 50 miles without loosing a drop of pressure so the above method although crude should last a while .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles