Whats selling like now on ebay these days ?.

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
I've a pile of Hope bits, probably of little interest here really and meaning to put them on ebay for the greater audience.
But their changes to their own payment system, dodgy buyers seemingly being more prevalent, is kind of making me worry, maybe more than it should.
Am i forced to use their payment system, or can i still specify paypal only ?.

I'm not new to ebay, i've had an account since 2007 and have 100% positive feedback of over 1000, but i haven't listed anything for a couple of years and their constant 'Agreement updates' are kind of putting me off a bit.

I feel like a complete noob now with nerves about listing my tat.

Anyone currently selling on their ebay can lend me a soothing voice of advice and reassurance ?.

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
Facebook marketplace has now overtaken eBay for me when selling and buying. I seem to have much better element engagement through it.

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
just use facebook marketplace
:LOL:
No look its a pile of bits, and im not clued up enough for FM, so paying, sending, scammers abound, its really not as safe as ebay. Ebay has its problems, but FM is a joke in comparison.

Last edited:

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
:LOL:
No look its a pile of bits, and im not clued up enough for FM, so paying, sending, scammers abound, its really not as safe as ebay. Ebay has its problems, but FM is a joke in comparison.

I think you're using it wrong. Write your advert, set your price and that's it.
No postage, cash on collection only.
Same with Gumtree.

Never agree to post any item, it's not set up for that.

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
I think you're using it wrong. Write your advert, set your price and that's it.
No postage, cash on collection only.
Same with Gumtree.

Never agree to post any item, it's not set up for that.
The only down side there is you have a finite number of potential customers. Ebay is country wide, and i dont see anyone on FM driving across the country for a tenner set of hope grip doctors.
Big items i cant be arsed sending, like forks and wheels go on gumtree. At least there while i limit my customers, its easier than finding a big enough box to fit wheels into to send on.

That said i did once send a pair of Chris King to Tasmania, though that was to a long term retrobike member. But its too fraught with something getting damaged. Turning up at the door is easier for things like wheels

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
You might have a smaller geographic radius on fb as it's collection only, but (in my experience anyway) the amount of people that view/show interest is higher on FB marketplace due to the much higher volume of users.
Plus it's free so nothing to lose by trying it.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Show some interest in eBay by looking at stuff like you have for sale for a while. They respond to this by sending you offers, usually on Friday. These offers can be anything from % off selling fee or even free variable selling fees. You have to respond fairly quickly but the offer will last for a while. I sold a bike for £3k and paid nothing to eBay.

I don't know for sure, but it may be that if eBay have a shortage of stuff that you are selling on sale, then they make an offer to you if you are looking at it. How do they know what you are selling? They don't, but they may assume that you are looking at stuff you want to sell to try and gauge the price etc. (It's what I do).

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
IMO eBay is a rip off

I have sold loads on eBay it’s small fortune when your stuff actually sells (around 11-13 % final fees ) on top of your listing fees
And then don’t forget eBay always take the side of the buyer !!! So even if you list as no returns in reality if someone simply “ changes there mind” eBay will force you to allow the return so YOUR out of pocket on the return postage as the buyers get a full refund including postage cost

just my personal experiences tho hope this helps

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
But their changes to their own payment system, dodgy buyers seemingly being more prevalent, is kind of making me worry, maybe more than it should.

You're right to be worried. There was a single incident that completely turned me off to selling ANYTHING on eBay. It was an item that was in perfect condition, and this joker from another country begged me to sell it to him. Being a nice guy, I told him if he paid the postage, I would. When he got it, he said it didn't work right, and he filed a claim with PayPal. Instead of investigating, PayPal just took my money and gave it to him. I was screwed, and had no recourse. That was my experience, yours may differ.

If you're seeking alternatives to eBay, there is Facebook Marketplace, assorted groups on Facebook, Craigslist, and all those apps that youngsters use. I like them because your audience is local. You can let them come over to pick up the item. That way they can look it over, you get cash, and you don't have to ship anything. Best of all, eBay and PayPal can't skim your earnings, and they can't take your money away from you.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Someone I met on the now defunct MBR Forum and subsequently rode with in the ALPS had a bad experience. He sold his perfectly maintained top end Fox 32 forks. The buyer's address was at the other end of the country. The buyer said that the forks didn't work and complained to eBay. My mate was puzzled but asked him to return the forks and gave a refund without too much concern. But they indeed did not work, so he removed the lowers only to find a rusting mess! Further investigation revealed that the buyer's address was a bike shop. Cheap way to fix your forks! I doubt that even copious photos would have improved his chances, who would think to take pics of the inside of his forks?

He was sorely tempted to drive up there and give the buyer more than a piece of his mind, but his job was driving large quantities of cash and gold about and he needed a 100% clean record to keep the job. He had to swallow the loss. It really got to him and he was not a happy man for a long time. The feeling of impotence and betrayal was strong.

PS: I just read this again. To make it clear, the buyer swapped his rusty bits! (Just in case you were wondering!)

Last edited:

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
eBay are running an 80% off fees offer this weekend. That means of the usuals 10% final value fee, you’re only paying 2%.

I never sell anything on eBay unless there’s an offer as it’s so damn expensive now… but it has a much wider reach than Facebook or Gumtree.

I sold a Multimeter for work yesterday (listed on an 80% off day). Sold for £360 + £12 shipping, and got £362.18 in my bank - so it cost a little under £8 in fees. Not bad really.

I’ve sold a few other ‘instruments’ for work… which have gone all over the globe. Mexico, Finland and Portugal are a few that spring to mind. Wouldn’t have had that reach on anywhere else!

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
It's not about fees, and to be frank, i quite accept to reach an entire country worth of folk i need to pay the premium, i expect in many scenarios you pay the price.
FB is scam city., and you'll either be hit with constant scammers so you dont know if an inquiry is genuine or not, or general inquiries which end in no sale, or dicks getting their jollies from winding you up with stupid messaging. So on the face of it paying 12.5% or whatever is a small price to pay. Plus theres more safety in ebay than elsewhere.
I list, buy it now price. Someone buys and i print out an address lable and send it off, and thats pretty much it. No this is where i live, no messing about with people not turning up etc handing out your phone number to all and sundry.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles