What3words app - pinpoint your exact location

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
Speaking as someone who has taught advanced navigation techniques and served in a Mountain Rescue Team I can say without hesitation that What3Words is easier to use, more convenient and less liable to misinterpretation than any other navigation method apart from of course a dedicated beacon device.

Al

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Speaking as someone who has taught advanced navigation techniques and served in a Mountain Rescue Team I can say without hesitation that What3Words is easier to use, more convenient and less liable to misinterpretation than any other navigation method apart from of course a dedicated beacon device.

Al
That's good to hear - not much beats real world experience. I'm actually surprised it works that well. I suppose those on the receiving end must have a good grasp and knowledge of English, and an awesome vocabulary. And then there is the whole pronunciation thing - sheesh! It's almost a cliche of the last 20 years of how difficult communication over the phone can be with our widely spread various different cultures / accents and varying abilities to communicate in english. I'll get the app :)

Last edited:

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North
That's good to hear - not much beats real world experience. I'm actually surprised it works that well. I suppose those on the receiving end must have a good grasp and knowledge of English, and an awesome vocabulary. And then there is the whole pronunciation thing - sheesh! It's almost a cliche of the last 20 years of how difficult communication over the phone can be with our widely spread various different cultures / accents and varying abilities to communicate in english. I'll get the app :)

I think 3words has the advantage that while the words are random, hopefully you will also be talking to the person and giving other details so repeating back, explaining words, checking the words match the rough location etc. just like you would trying to relay co-ordinates.

Timbo

Aug 31, 2018
France
You can share your location with a photo as well, also you can choose your language
2020-07-19 18.23.38.jpg

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I think the only valid criticism/weakness is that it relies on technology but so does making the emergency call in the first place.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I just looked at emergency plus app which has been around in Australia for a while (it's Australian gov.). I see that the latest version has what3words integrated. The beauty of this app (emergency plus) is that location is given by what3words along with latitude and longitude - this would really strengthen the reliability (eg is the 3 word location within the latitude longitude given?). Here in Australia, this would be the better way to go. Emergency services have been working with this app for over 10 years now. It's a small detail, but I'd feel more comfortable being able to relate coordinates to a map - I've often used a phone like this in the past to confirm where I am on a map (ballpark figure). The other good thing about this is that you don't have to remember what geodetic system we're currently using (I think we're wgs84?)

Apr 7, 2019
Sussex UK
I had to use W3W after an accident, I was only 1 mile from my house and talking to an operator in the same town, but I couldn’t fully name my location for them to understand!

So I used W3W, it was simple and correct. ?

Shame the ambulance was going to take 4-5hours to arrive (2 miles from depot!)......
I can read a map very well, and could probably have given map ref.
Rather than paying for any app I’ll make a donation to the ambulance’s, ready for next time.

You got me worried about Spooky woods, due there in 2 weeks ?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I know that the makers have fixed it so that squares close to each other have no words in common, to avoid confusion, but I wonder if they have fixed it so that there are no funny/risque word combinations?
So make one up and see if it exists!! :ROFLMAO:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles