What 'vehicle' to buy?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Just looking on line and the Alphards/Elgrands seem like cracking options, especially for the money

Couchy

Nov 15, 2018
Nottingham
One thing with an Elgrand get the middle cats removed, costs about £100 but they have been known to collapse and block exhaust. Apart from that usual items to check. They like a gearbox oil change and engine oil every 6k miles. We’ve had 2 sets of suspension bushes in 4 years too. No cam belt on them either to worry about. For the money you can’t go wrong

Stumpy

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
This was helpful, from a thread on piston heads...

This is all based on models around the 2002 to 2005 era.

The Toyota Alphard is better built than the Nissan Elgrand (although neither of them would be described as being unreliable/poor quality its just one is reportedly better than the other).
The Alphard comes in petrol 2.4 (chain) or 3.0 V6 (belt). Both engines are in other Toyota/Lexus ranges I believe and sold in this country at some point (the 2.4 in the Previa/Avensis/Camry and the 3.0 V6 in the Lexus GS/Toyota Camry for example).
It's difficult to change the dash display on the Elgrand so you may have to learn Japanese if you want to know what it's telling you whereas the Alphard comes with a headunit that you should be able to swap out for a UK version (the Avensis had the same headunit for a while). Isofix appears to be standard on the Alphard, I've never seen it mentioned on the Elgrand.
The Elgrand is easier to find in 4 wheel drive versions if that's your thing.
Alphard models start A for 2.4, e.g. AMxx (for 2wd) and ASxx (for 4wd ) and MM / MX for the 3.0

Obviously Alphard biased but useful info

Couchy

Nov 15, 2018
Nottingham
Definitely Alphard biased, not hard to change head unit in Elgrand, Elgrand v6 is timing chain not belt like Alphard, mpg similar but Elgrand more powerful. No point going for smaller engines on either. Both are a good buy

Stumpy

Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
I am guessing the key is to try and get one of a reputable import dealer?

I’m looking at them but also the 1 owner (since import) too - I know its all relative but for £5k I’m willing to take a chance for the right one at the right price, regardless of who from.

mark1a

Mar 11, 2019
Dorset, UK
What’s the road tax like for JDM grey imports? Is it based on CO2 emission for between 2001-2017 same as UK cars?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I wish you hadn't started this thread Stumpy, I started the day test driving a 30k new Vito Sport Crew cab and am ending searching modified Japanese MPV's!

Stumpy

Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
What’s the road tax like for JDM grey imports? Is it based on CO2 emission for between 2001-2017 same as UK cars?

Based on this a maximum of £315 (I think...?)
BB7A0020-7E26-4DFD-8B90-52F9076E7C41.jpeg

Stumpy

Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
I wish you hadn't started this thread Stumpy, I started the day test driving a 30k new Vito Sport Crew cab and am ending searching modified Japanese MPV's!

Been there, done that ? - money wasn’t necessarily part of the criteria for me but the Mrs forced the limit and I was very pleasantly surprised what £5k(ish) can get you - silly not to...

pegasus

Feb 23, 2019
Shropshire
This is what we got, our Canyon Spectral-On's fit and the Haibike's with the front wheels on, front wheels turned inwards due to the bulk head and held in place by some clamps screwed to the side. I'll try get some photos up tomorrow at some point. I can get my canyon or haibike in my hyundai ix 35, but that's lying down with rear seats down, wheels on but not upright.
18_transit-connect-base-swb-guard-f.jpeg

pegasus

Feb 23, 2019
Shropshire
Forgot to say all the bikes stand upright and on going to Isle of Skye we carried 3 bikes in the back, all equipment needed, plus bags of clothing, it can be done. BTW it does drive like a car !!! (former owner of a Toyota GT turbo Starlet) ;):):)

Couchy

Nov 15, 2018
Nottingham
Road tax is £255 for all imports. There’s loads for sale tbh. If it drives nice odds are it’s fine as I’ve said they are a simple thing. Cat removal is essential but a non issue to get done, same with all the auxiliary belts and I’d also swap all fluids.Although not expensive check discs and pads and tyres. I would budget to spend £500 to get all the maintenance done so I knew it was right. The only new vehicle that comes close for comfort and performance is the Mercedes V class, not the van but the one with the car interior and that costs £50k. We’ve had all the van double cabs on demo and nice as they are they arent as good as this unless you need massive space but taking cost into account it’s no contest

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK

More-read-than-ride

Patreon
Jan 3, 2019
Spain
That is pimp as fuck but do you really want to put a muddy bike in there? The chauffeur wouldn't be happy. :ROFLMAO:
Just throw a sheet over the seat and let you pride and joy rest in style (wife or bike, depending on who is asking). Also, living in Spain I can really see myself having a great siesta in those recliners while the bike charges ??

pegasus

Feb 23, 2019
Shropshire
Okay guys women's perspective needed here !!!!! Monster truck lovely, but NO.....Alphard....NO to nice to spoil and the missus will want to keep it clean. Option 3 is, buy something nice for your wife and surprise her, then you can probably get away with anything......us women like to be distracted with shinny things :):):D

mark1a

Mar 11, 2019
Dorset, UK
This is what we got, our Canyon Spectral-On's fit and the Haibike's with the front wheels on, front wheels turned inwards due to the bulk head and held in place by some clamps screwed to the side. I'll try get some photos up tomorrow at some point. I can get my canyon or haibike in my hyundai ix 35, but that's lying down with rear seats down, wheels on but not upright.
18_transit-connect-base-swb-guard-f.jpeg
Nice, was looking at Transit Connect as an option before I got my Caddy.

Couchy

Nov 15, 2018
Nottingham
Lol, when I put the mtb in mine they are on a board and a sheet is wrapped round the seats and sides. Ours is also used as the family bus and I like my vehicles to be kept mint ?

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
Fully spec'd or plus options?
Including options but I didn't go mad so only went for metallic, single passenger seat and tailgate. And added the wheels later so I suppose that pushes it to 35K.

I was looking at another Evoque or an e-pace but as the bike is with me 24/7 as I work away, the back seats would be always down and it would get full of sh!t on the inside which got really old quickly on my previous Evoque.
I do 600 mile a week in the tranny and it's important that it be as restful as possible - can't see me going back to a car ever whilst I remain biking.

Last edited:

Apples

Oct 27, 2018
Wiltshire
I’m looking at the moment between :-
Transit type van
Ford connect lwb high roof
Seven seater type thing with rear seats removed
Or a pick up

I have a 2019 Levo in large and want it stood up ,wheels on ! getting two bikes in not touching would be a bonus

I have a car I want to keep so looking at a couple of grand max as a second vehicle

What are the best options ??? Cheers

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles