What 'vehicle' to buy?

Kangr

Patreon
Sep 14, 2018
Stoke on Trent
Thanks all for the replies, in response add to add a bit more detail...

Yes, should have said, I’d like to think I could get something suitable for around £5k (or less)

Thanks, there’s plenty of those in my ideal budget range, I’d dismissed it as being not high enough floor to ceiling, I’ll take a closer look

That’s more my style, I wonder how pick you could pick up a well looked after older one? Autotrader here I come...

Thanks, I’ve looked at the Ford vans and for the money I want to spend they’ve all done hard mileage or look like a skip

Thanks again, I’ll need to google it as we don’t have this model in the UK?

Good question and one reason for the frugal budget, the ‘vehicle’ will be in addition to the his and hers we already have, the other reason is that after buying the bike, a new shed for it to live in, more tools, kit, upgrades Etc. Etc. (You ALL know what I mean) I may need to find somewhere else to live if I go over £5k for the new wheels (she said, “can’’t you get something for a grand” ?

Thanks for all the advice on the vans - been there, even done the man thing and spec’d up a brand new one with all the toys I could have on it - if only I was a bachelor....

Thanks, same story as the fords really, all shitters at my budget..

Would love one!

Thanks but no thanks - I still think I’m far too young for a Jazz (even though I’m not...)

Best shout so far, I’ve been looking at the Japanese imports too - Nissan and Toyota due a number of variants and you can pick them up low mileage with service history (for what it’s worth) well inside my budget - the majority are fully loaded too. Trouble is all the ones I’ve seen are 100’s of miles away - which is a long way to go to find out its doesn’t meet my criteria (hence the post to learn from someone else’s experience. However, I can see myself ending up with something like this ??

Sooo tempting! STOP IT!

More good advice and in-line with my research too

Keep them coming lads!
You can pick up a voyager for less than £2k
The model highwaystar we had must of been an import then, it was still righhand drive

Russell

Dec 16, 2018
Iow
I would test drive a disabled car before buying one. I borrowed my grandads one a while back and it only had half the suspension travel it should have had. It must be something to do with the wheel chair ramp. I'm after a elgrand mostly because I read somewhere the 3.0 has 275hp. If it's any use I measured up a mazda bongo at 1.2m high and 2.1m rear door to back of front seat. A Toyota Alphard is 1.21m high and around 2.3m rear door to back of front seat. As said I have yet to measure an elgrand and a grand hiace.

Stumpy

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
Stu, now don't take this suggestion as taking the piss, but I was looking at one of these the other day, as its fits a few bikes, is auto, and has a ramp to load em! Seriously check this one out, 35k on the clock! :cool:

RENAULT KANGOO DISABLED CONVERSION 1.6 Authentique 5dr Auto disabled conversion 2008

Thanks- no offence taken, the disabled conversions are definitely a bargain, even the more expensive brands like VW and Merc are much better priced than their van equivalents. Worth a look for sure..

Stumpy

Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
@Stumpy Have you considered a VW Caddy? Smaller than the Transporter, loads of space (especially in the LWB Maxi version), and is available as a DSG auto. There's also the Life versions which have rear glass and seats for passengers (they're popular for wheelchair conversions with the rear ramp, and they often come up on the used market). I bought one of these to put my road bikes in (LWB Life not WAV), and it's perfect for that. They would fit easily upright with all wheels attached, but I remove the front wheels to use the Minoura Vergo TF2 bike rack.

I ended up selling my car and using it as my daily drive.

View attachment 11721

View attachment 11722

Looks lovely and I do have the option of selling my car and going ‘all in’ but I’m driving the last of the Audi TT 3.2 v6 and I said I’d never get rid of it, it’s such a fun car that (like my bike) makes me smile every time I drive it... tough decision.

Disclaimer: no, I’m not a hair dresser ?

Stumpy

Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
I would test drive a disabled car before buying one. I borrowed my grandads one a while back and it only had half the suspension travel it should have had. It must be something to do with the wheel chair ramp. I'm after a elgrand mostly because I read somewhere the 3.0 has 275hp. If it's any use I measured up a mazda bongo at 1.2m high and 2.1m rear door to back of front seat. A Toyota Alphard is 1.21m high and around 2.3m rear door to back of front seat. As said I have yet to measure an elgrand and a grand hiace.

I’m still liking this idea - I need 110cm high to get the bike in comfortably so either will do - let me know if you get measurements of the other two please

Stumpy

Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
Anyone tried (or measured) a Ford Galaxy or SMax? There are some good examples of them in my budget

xcentric

Feb 2, 2019
Market Drayton
SMax will fit in bikes with the front wheel off. As will almost any estate car - could get a Forester or a Volvo or pretty much anything for £1-£5k, have it drive like a car, be relatively frugal, go most places, etc etc. A van is good because, well, it's a van and designed to take mucky things to places, usually with a load area somewhat separated from the interior, and with tougher plastics. An estate will be quieter, quicker, cheaper to buy. But not quite as easy to get the bikes in and out. If you do go that route, make a front axle holder from some conduit and clamps, and mount it on a beam of wood - hey presto, front wheel holder that keeps bike upright.....

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
Discovery 3 or 4, my XL bike fits in (my D3) upright with the front wheel out. and if you don't feel like riding the trails you can drive them!
They can also tow stuff...

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
SMax will fit in bikes with the front wheel off. As will almost any estate car - could get a Forester or a Volvo or pretty much anything for £1-£5k, have it drive like a car, be relatively frugal, go most places, etc etc. A van is good because, well, it's a van and designed to take mucky things to places, usually with a load area somewhat separated from the interior, and with tougher plastics. An estate will be quieter, quicker, cheaper to buy. But not quite as easy to get the bikes in and out. If you do go that route, make a front axle holder from some conduit and clamps, and mount it on a beam of wood - hey presto, front wheel holder that keeps bike upright.....
I have a an A6 Avant and no way will my bike in upright - even with the boot floor out - maybe a retro bike with 80mm suspension would fit.

Stumpy

Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK

Thanks - I really want to keep the front wheel on but without it I know my options are wide open

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
A modern van, costing £40K may well drive very nicely, but it wont be a match for a similarly priced car. Or even an 8 year old premium car costing 25% of it.

mark1a

Mar 11, 2019
Dorset, UK
Don't forget if you go the van route that unless you get it modified and re-classified, your speed limit is 10mph less than a car on 60mph roads and dual carriageways

Yep good point, that's one of the reasons when I went looking for a Caddy, I eventually went for a Maxi Life, classed M1 on the V5 so car speed limits.

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
Don't forget if you go the van route that unless you get it modified and re-classified, your speed limit is 10mph less than a car on 60mph roads and dual carriageways
Is that the rule for vans with no rear window or all vans? I’m considering getting a Vito but this thread is making me think.

Kangr

Patreon
Sep 14, 2018
Stoke on Trent
Is that the rule for vans with no rear window or all vans? I’m considering getting a Vito but this thread is making me think.
I'm not sure. sorry. I have heard that if you do certain modifications to the body work, like adding windows to the side doors. then you can have the vans classification changed. but i don't know what mods you need to do.

mark1a

Mar 11, 2019
Dorset, UK

If it can be reclassified with DVLA as a "dual purpose vehicle", then it won't be subject to van speed limits. Dual purpose vehicle is defined as adapted for carriage of both passengers and goods, and an unladen weight of 2040kg or less (4x4 are exempt from this). If not 4x4, then it must have at least one row of passenger seats behind the driver and side & rear windows. The distance of the rear seats from the steering wheel must also be not less than one third of the whole vehicle length. If a van has been converted to a camper and is less than 3050kg then it's also exempt.

Also just to be clear I do have a life, the only reason I know this is because it comes up on the caddy forum approximately once a month.

If you have a spare hour of your life you'll never get back, more info here:
Car-derived vans and dual purpose vehicles

xcentric

Feb 2, 2019
Market Drayton
I have a an A6 Avant and no way will my bike in upright - even with the boot floor out - maybe a retro bike with 80mm suspension would fit.
Interesting - I can get my large Levo into a Citroen DS3 with the front wheel off! Can probably get my wife's smaller Cube in there too, but not tried it yet - so am amazed that the Audi can't fit it. Got similar bikes into a Forester before now (and a Yeti into the front seat of a Boxster, but that's a different story).

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I can get my E-Sommett size L in my Smart car with both wheels off and the passenger seat folded down, if there's a will theres a way!

Last edited:

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
If it can be reclassified with DVLA as a "dual purpose vehicle", then it won't be subject to van speed limits. Dual purpose vehicle is defined as adapted for carriage of both passengers and goods, and an unladen weight of 2040kg or less (4x4 are exempt from this). If not 4x4, then it must have at least one row of passenger seats behind the driver and side & rear windows. The distance of the rear seats from the steering wheel must also be not less than one third of the whole vehicle length. If a van has been converted to a camper and is less than 3050kg then it's also exempt.

Also just to be clear I do have a life, the only reason I know this is because it comes up on the caddy forum approximately once a month.

If you have a spare hour of your life you'll never get back, more info here:
Car-derived vans and dual purpose vehicles
I appreciate you taking one for the team :) seriously though that is good to know.

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
What's wrong with a full size Sprinter?

I like the idea of JDM imports. Here in the states, they are very reasonably priced. Had no idea there were different speed limits for vans.

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
Sorry should have been clear - that info is specific to the UK along with many other overly onerous traffic laws.

I figured. I only once drove in the UK, rented a Cee'd at Heathrow and drove up to Coventry for work. I was a bit worried about the average speed cameras. Luckily the reasonably priced car had a decent sat nav.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I believe with a Skoda Yeti you can get the bike in upright, there is a member on here who has one and had it for this exact purpose, cant remember who it is

Random pic off internet

imageproxy.php.jpeg

Reactions: Lad

100 Cols

Mar 9, 2018
Côte d'Azur, France
A modern van, costing £40K may well drive very nicely, but it wont be a match for a similarly priced car. Or even an 8 year old premium car costing 25% of it.

Maybe it's an acquired taste, but I actually prefer the relaxed driving characteristics, high seating position and highway stability of my 2015 Vito, compared to std car. I have done several round-trips through Europe with the Vito, transporting two bikes and loads of stuff at the back. It's a long Mixto version, 7-speed automatic and with folding rear seats. Cost much less than £40K in 2015.

Just yesterday came back from a four day cycling & tourism trip. No hassle with the bikes, they stay overnight hidden in the van, batteries out for charging in the appt. Hard to see going back to a car as long as I'm able to ride.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Well specced vans are great for long trips, as they are actually designed to make life as comfortable as possible for the driver - bargain basement vans are not though. Main issue with Vans tends to be noise, which tends to be more prevalent if you don't have a bulkhead.

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
Beg to differ but I went from an Evoque auto to a transit double cab auto and the transit does everything better bar fuel economy. Transit's quieter and more comfortable on a long run

Lad

Nov 15, 2018
Australia
I believe with a Skoda Yeti you can get the bike in upright, there is a member on here who has one and had it for this exact purpose, cant remember who it is

That would be me. I've posted pics in some other thread. Normally I take front wheel off (center rear seat removed), but it will fit with both wheels on if I took one of the side rear seats out. The dropper post has to be lowered in both cases. My bike is Focus M-size.

Jeremy Clarkson was right - "the most complete car ever made.."

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
That would be me. I've posted pics in some other thread. Normally I take front wheel off (center rear seat removed), but it will fit with both wheels on if I took one of the side rear seats out. The dropper post has to be lowered in both cases. My bike is Focus M-size.

Jeremy Clarkson was right - "the most complete car ever made.."

So in the pic I posted above, has the owner moved the rear seats or are they folded down?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles