What tyres? The Ultimate Tyre Thread

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Yes, I'm running the Dissector both front and rear on my Ibis Mojo HD3.

Previously on that bike I was running DHF's, and before that Nobby Nic's.
I just started using 2 DHF and the Nobby Nics might be next if i can find some.
Mainly i do XC and trails. Should i stick to DHF?

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Not sure what sizes the Conti’s come in but I prefer 2.4 front. 2.3 rear

Just found this online

57BDC20A-7DAE-4F65-B0DE-3CC1E600A0D1.jpeg

Loamranger

Dec 10, 2019
U.K.
I’ve never tried double DHF but DHF front and DHR2 rear would roll better, I’ve used that classic combo and it’s hard to beat as an all round set up. Perhaps consider DHF front and Dissector rear, that’s definitely more roll.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire

I recently gave up on a Nobby Nic I had on the rear of my full fat

It had zero grip when climbing in wet conditions, but I bought it to be a cheap minimum-grip slidey rear tyre. It kept burping though, and finally blew off the rim when landing a fairly moderate rock drop, and wouldn’t seat itself back on the rim

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Thoughts? Do they roll better than the others?

What compound/sidewalls are yours?

I'm currently running 3C MaxxTerra EXO on that bike. I'll always go for MaxxTerra, so I can get a few more miles out of them.

The Dissectors give me better rolling than DHF's, but I think they're a little slower rolling than Nobby Nic's. The Dissectors provide better cornering, braking, and handling.

I'm in Socal, so there's a lot of rock, and virtually no mud. Loose over hard is the biggest challenge, and these tires do fine under those conditions.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Although designed for similar use and conditions the Kryptotal's tread design is nothing like an Assegai's. And neither is the Xynotal's similar to a Dissector or Rekon
If you want a tyre that handles like an Assegai upfront and a dissector rear. Buy those actual tyres.
I'd struggle to comprehend why anyone would even consider using a tyre like a Rekon in conjunction with an Assegai. And I absolutely love a semi slick rear paired with a DHF or DHRII upfront

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Although designed for similar use and conditions the Kryptotal's tread design is nothing like an Assegai's. And neither is the Xynotal's similar to a Dissector or Rekon
If you want a tyre that handles like an Assegai upfront and a dissector rear. Buy those actual tyres.
I'd struggle to comprehend why anyone would even consider using a tyre like a Rekon in conjunction with an Assegai. And I absolutely love a semi slick rear paired with a DHF or DHRII upfront

I wouldn’t know the first thing about different tread patterns apart from what I can read online, so tend to compare tyres for use & conditions

Suppose I’m looking ahead for a good set of tyres for wet conditions. The price of Magic Mary’s / Assegai etc in a grippy compound seemed to reach sky high at the beginning of last winter whereas the Conti range are a more reasonable cost now. Don’t know much about the Kryptonals though and there’s not a lot of info online except the usual MBR reviews and the YouTube Conti sponsored riders’ channels. Don’t know anyone local that’s tried them yet either

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
Rugeley, England United Kingdom
I can't be bothered to wade back through 60 odd pages of threads, so apologies if these have already been mentioned. My new Marin Alpine trail E2 was supposed to be shod with Maxxis, but due to another shortage they were fitted with the vee attack HPL and Crown gem instead. Initially disappointed I didn't get Maxxis, I've now ridden these tyres enough to tell you that they are a great combo, absolutely confidence inspiring and a lot cheaper than Maxxis.
Rate them so much I've bought a spare set for when these wear out. The pair cost me £76.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles