What tyres? The Ultimate Tyre Thread

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Fair comment about the Assegai being draggy?

🍆
All DH TYRES ARE SOMEWHAT DRAGGY.
You simply can't have both maximum grip and low rolling resistance.
Fair comment about the Dissector lacking bit when leaning over?
Ive never used a Dissector but considering who designed it and why and the fact you're struggling with lean angle and edge grip on one of the world's best cornering mtb tyres ever produced I'm going to go out on a limb and say NO. It probably isn't lacking in edge grip when actually leant over.

Although

But it doesn't sound like you're riding at Troy's level

Last edited:

mike172

May 12, 2021
Surrey
All DH TYRES ARE SOMEWHAT DRAGGY.
You simply can't have both maximum grip and low rolling resistance.

Ive never used a Dissector but considering who designed it and why and the fact you're struggling with lean angle and edge grip on one of the world's best cornering mtb tyres ever produced I'm going to go out on a limb and say NO. It probably isn't lacking in edge grip when actually leant over.

Although
But it doesn't sound like you're riding at Troy's level

It's the transition between the center and side that caught me out a couple of times that's all

No I'm not. Are you? I don't ride proper downhill

It's my first few months on DD so it's good to have that confirmed thanks. Thought it was the Maxgrip compound more than the casing

Surely the 3c DD DHRs will roll considerably better?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Use the search function to search this very sub forum (General Emtb forum) for the keywords "drift zone" by my username.

Dual compound rolls fastest. lasts longest but obviously comes with a slight reduction in grip from their harder rubber compound

DD is just a tougher casing that sits between exo+ and DH

I didn't mention compound or casing

Last edited:

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Pattern wise it doesn't seem to have any lateral bite but reviews and opinion suggest otherwise.
As Gary has already said - they're awesome. The dhf on the front has made me a better rider and I'm enjoying it more. I wasn't aggressive enough in my style and was wary of them - perhaps this is your problem too?

If you're not aggressive enough to push those tyres onto the side knobs, then yes, you might be better off with something else. The assegai has transition knobs that might suit you?

However, I've been getting aggressive in all my turns and I feel like I have more control. The other big advantage to making aggressive turns is that I react much quicker to obstacles that come up. If you're namby pamby (lack lustre) with your turns it seems to effect your response to obstacles. Now that I'm jumping all over the place aggressively, I react aggressively and simply miss stuff.

I run dhf front and back while it is dry; dhrII rear and assegai front through the wetter months. I feel the dhf's are the better rollers with great grip and braking, but they tend to clog down the middle knobs when it is sticky.

Last edited:

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
I have Continental Der Baron Projekt 29 2.4 and 27.5 2.6 waiting for the summer. Sidewalls feels quite "thin" though.
About same as Schwalbe's Super Trail, i think. Or Spesh Grid trail.
So inserts are "must" with these.

Also MM/BB 27.5 2.8 Super Trail soft-set is waiting for summer.

Eddy Currents were useless in my use, no grip at wet surfaces.
Spesh new Butcher Trail T9 and Eliminator Gravity T7/T9 was very good combo, liked a lot.

MM/BB at Ultra soft had insane grip but didn't last long in my use, i have lots of asphalt in my routes before i'm in the woods.

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
Has anyone here used Eddy Currents and DHR/DHF's?

I've got a set of Eddy Current rear and front on mine at the moment - they seem ok, had fun on Dalby red route today but they seem to be really really bad in wet mud and on wet roots/rocks...
In muddy conditions they just turn into slicks, they clog up completely till there's no grip.

They roll well but I'm thinking DHR/DHF combo might give more grip and better confidence. Never ridden any though all my tyres have been Schwalbe.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I've got a set of Eddy Current rear and front on mine at the moment...
...they seem to be really really bad in wet mud and on wet roots/rocks...
They are bloody awful tyres in those conditions.
Depending on how muddy it is, I'd suggest either Magic Mary front, Big Betty rear or Shorty front, DHR2 rear. As it dries out I'd go Assegai front, DHR2 rear.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Got these to try.

1320g 😂😱😱

Sticky. Heavy. Stiff.

9FAED673-C0BB-45E3-B65A-229FE5A5AB0D.jpeg

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
I am new in the 29+. After lots of reading i bought 2 DHF 29x3.0. I just put one on the rear and i like it.
It climbs like i like. Ask around, maybe in your area 2 DHF are appreciated. I am in quebec, Canada.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania

I've got a set of Eddy Current rear and front on mine at the moment - they seem ok, had fun on Dalby red route today but they seem to be really really bad in wet mud and on wet roots/rocks...
In muddy conditions they just turn into slicks, they clog up completely till there's no grip.

They roll well but I'm thinking DHR/DHF combo might give more grip and better confidence. Never ridden any though all my tyres have been Schwalbe.
if it is sticky type mud I'd go dhrII rear, assegai front. DHF tend to clog down the middle when I ride in mud, so I use it for the warmer months.

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland

Same experiences. Magic Mary/Big Betty was much better. And MM/BB with super downhill/Ultra soft there's i s grip that is something magical.
But Soft version of them is good compromise. Ultra Soft wears really fast. I mean really fast.

malc101

Nov 29, 2021
Upstate, NY
Anyone have a latest favorite for distance on fire roads? 29.4, or 29.6. My Trance tires Assagi, Dissector, feel like I let out a parachute when I stop pedaling, whether on asphalt or dirt. I don’t do a lot of single track hard cornering any more. Thanks!

Last edited:

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
Anyone have a latest favorite for distance on fire roads? 29.4, or 29.6. My Trance tires Assagi, Dissector, feel like I let out a parachute when I stop pedaling, whether on asphalt or dirt. I don’t do a lot of single track hard cornering any more. Thanks!
WTB Ranger is very good on fire roads. And it is pretty good on trails also. But Ranger has pretty light sidewalls, so on trails it might be a risk.
But very good tire, hard to believe when you look at it, but you might surprise when you ride It.

malc101

Nov 29, 2021
Upstate, NY
WTB Ranger is very good on fire roads. And it is pretty good on trails also. But Ranger has pretty light sidewalls, so on trails it might be a risk.
But very good tire, hard to believe when you look at it, but you might surprise when you ride It.
Thanks, I’ll have a look. However, I do hit some ledge at times pretty hard.

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
Anyone know of stock of Schwalbe 29 2.6 Magic Marys or Big Bettys? After Soft compound, Supertrail Mary and Super Gravity Betty. Got a Trek Rail coming and want to change wheels and tyres straight away

Other options are going to 2.4s, can find the Mary but no Big Bettys at all. Prices aren't cheap either......
Or 2.4 Maxxis DHR2 WT in Exo/Plus Maxxgrip and Doubledown for the rear (not sure if this combo even exists or brought into the UK)

Or I'm looking at an EU seller who will ship to the UK. Thanks Brexit....

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
For rear my suggestion is Rekon 2.4 2c lots of PSI. I read some like it for front also but in my area i would suggest nobby nic in front.

Last edited:

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
Anyone know of stock of Schwalbe 29 2.6 Magic Marys or Big Bettys? After Soft compound, Supertrail Mary and Super Gravity Betty. Got a Trek Rail coming and want to change wheels and tyres straight away

Other options are going to 2.4s, can find the Mary but no Big Bettys at all. Prices aren't cheap either......
Or 2.4 Maxxis DHR2 WT in Exo/Plus Maxxgrip and Doubledown for the rear (not sure if this combo even exists or brought into the UK)

Or I'm looking at an EU seller who will ship to the UK. Thanks Brexit....
I have lightly used 29x2.6 Mary & 29x2.4 big Betty in Addix orange the Betty is Super Trail not sure of the MM

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
For rear my suggestion is Rekon 2.4 2c lots of PSI. I read some like it for front also but in area i would suggest nobby nic in front.
I have Rekons(27.5 2.8) in my Kona Big Honzo ST, very good tire. Rolling is good and there's pretty good grip also.

Hanzzzie

Sep 4, 2021
Belgium
I want to replace the Big Betty/Magic Mary orange gravity addix soft on my Cube action team with something better rolling ( just as if a parachute pulls me back when i stop pedaling over here )
i don't do bike parks, no extreme DH, mostly do XC with some single tracks and normal decends.

Was running Specialized fast tracks on the Epic i had years back but since the EMTB weighs double than that one and i gained 10kg myself as well. a different tyre might be needed :)

Reading alot of the Maxxis Reckon? Is Nobby Nic SpeedGrip also a good choice or still heavy dragging?

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
I want to replace the Big Betty/Magic Mary orange gravity addix soft on my Cube action team with something better rolling ( just as if a parachute pulls me back when i stop pedaling over here )
i don't do bike parks, no extreme DH, mostly do XC with some single tracks and normal decends.

Was running Specialized fast tracks on the Epic i had years back but since the EMTB weighs double than that one and i gained 10kg myself as well. a different tyre might be needed :)

Reading alot of the Maxxis Reckon? Is Nobby Nic SpeedGrip also a good choice or still heavy dragging?
I loved the Rekon 3c i had for rear.
I would suggest the Nobby Nic for front.

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
I took my Eddy Currents off - put the Hans Dampf's back on that came with the bike.
They're both punctured so ran tubes just for a play at the weekend.

A lot lot better - I know some people rave about Eddy Currents but I don't like them, they slide out too easy when it's slightly wet.

I've ordered a Maxxis Minon DHR II for my rear and an Assegai for the front. Had to get them from Germany due to massive stock issues in uk of 29x2.6 but should be here in a few weeks :D

Hanzzzie

Sep 4, 2021
Belgium
NB ?
I'm just riding country side... as said, no extreme bikeparks, no downhill stuff.
just enjoying the woods with some technical decends but not extreme...

Hanzzzie

Sep 4, 2021
Belgium
Nobby Nic. Like you, i enjoy playing outside, not a speed addict
ha, i actually found 2 on sale from a guy that changed them after he got the bike, Addix Speed Grip (superground) is the type.

the combo i have on now works too but as said, if i stop pedaling it's like there's a parachute behind me :)
Hope they'll roll a bit nicer but still offer plenty of grip?
current:

• FRONT Schwalbe Magic Mary, Super Trail, Addix Soft, Kevlar, 2.4
  • REAR Schwalbe Big Betty, Super Gravity, Addix Soft, Kevlar, 2.4

Last edited:

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Ran DHF/DHR combo all winter. If I'm honest, it wasn't anywhere near enough up front but laziness prevailed & now the sun's coming I'll probably leave it as is until September. Definitely going Shorty or similar for next winter I think.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles