What tyres? The Ultimate Tyre Thread

Nick W

Jan 2, 2022
Bolinas, CA
Always been a Schwalbe Magic Mary/Hans D fanboy however they didn’t have suitable DH casings in 2.8” when I set up my bike so went with Maxxis Minions DHF & DHR. They have performed without issue in all conditions and have lasted double the time I would have expected from my usual combo, considering the cost they should do though!!
There will be a dilemma when they need changing as the Schwalbe Addix compounds promise a lot.
I haven’t used schwalbe tires as I have exclusively used maxxis, but I went from 2.8 dhf/dhr2 to 2.6’s, to 2.5 f 2.4 r which I consider ideal. Bigger tires just numb the ride to me. I also found I dislike the dhf because of the vague and uncertain feeling when starting to lean. I ascribe this feeling to the large gap between the center tread blocks and the outer tread blocks. I have since moved on to 2.5 assegai in front. I love the dhr2, and would run 2, but they don’t have a 2.5 which I consider sort of the perfect width on a 30mm rim, and they roll phenomenally but you do sacrifice a bit of traction when compared with the assegai. I’ve been doing a lot of steep technical climbs so I’ve gone to 2.5 Assegai exo+ front and rear and really like it. The rear wheel doesn’t roll quite as well as a dhr2 but the traction is unreal. I just put a cushcore insert in the rear and am testing how I like it. I’m about 150 pounds and like to run pretty low pressure, currently about 18 rear. I like the feeling of exo tires best but they are just too thin for where I ride. I have tried dd tires but they make the wheels feel very heavy and the feedback vague

Woodyc

Dec 11, 2021
So Cal
Well, after 1100 miles I'm replacing my Nobby Nics with some DHR 2s and am wondering what to do with the used tires. Do you chuck them into the trash or recycle them?

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Well, after 1100 miles I'm replacing my Nobby Nics with some DHR 2s and am wondering what to do with the used tires. Do you chuck them into the trash or recycle them?
Fashion them into some mad max body armour!
Seriously....
Around my neck of the woods there are recycling centres which will dispose of them properly.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Some trail networks cut them in section and cover some bad rots with them for more tractions.
Some retailers ship old used bikes to poor countries like maybe Haiti etc.. so your used tire is a car to a lucky
poor person. Talk to riders in your area and learn what is available. Some artists would see them as material
to do a sculpture.
By the way would you recommand them for rear? for front?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I put them in my recycle bin.

But think about this.
If you cut the bead off with a pair of scissors and then cut straight across the tyre, it will lay flat. You can then use sections of that tyre to protect the underneath of the bike for the next time you take the bike down a seriously rocky trail, or on a ski style uplift in the Alps etc. I secured mine with zip ties.
Motor protection.
Or you could wrap the tyre around any metal tubes/edges/corners etc in your truck to protect your bike.
Or nail it to the wall in the garage/shed where you park your bike.

Last edited:

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Hot Tip! After a pretty sketchy ride with no rear braking traction I looked at my half worn rear DHR II & wondered what would happen if I cut the ramps off the main middle knobs- I might be able to get a few more rides in while waiting for a new one to arrive . A few slices with a craft knife & 5 minutes later I had sharp edges. Went for a ride & have to say the braking was just as good as a new tyre- really impressed. I'll see how long it will last.
Disclaimer - doing this could end up with catastrophic results - if so please post pics ;-0

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Hot Tip! After a pretty sketchy ride with no rear braking traction I looked at my half worn rear DHR II & wondered what would happen if I cut the ramps off the main middle knobs- I might be able to get a few more rides in while waiting for a new one to arrive . A few slices with a craft knife & 5 minutes later I had sharp edges. Went for a ride & have to say the braking was just as good as a new tyre- really impressed. I'll see how long it will last.
Disclaimer - doing this could end up with catastrophic results - if so please post pics ;-0
Did you think to simply turn it around?

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Did you think to simply turn it around?
OMG you're an ideas man!! :)
Both sides were pretty rounded, it is at the replacement stage. I have my new one ready to go but want to experiment with this one to see how long it lasts before total carnage & tears.
I don't really rate the DHR as highly as most people do. I have now got my new one which is a max terra so hopefully will last longer than the few months this one did.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
OMG you're an ideas man!! :)
Both sides were pretty rounded, it is at the replacement stage. I have my new one ready to go but want to experiment with this one to see how long it lasts before total carnage & tears.
I don't really rate the DHR as highly as most people do. I have now got my new one which is a max terra so hopefully will last longer than the few months this one did.
In my area some appreciate 2 DHF so i have a pair waiting for our spring. Now is studded season.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
I hope you kept all the rubber cuttings so you can glue each one back on backwards to get even more wear out of your worn out tyre.

Ps. you don't want to hear what the DHR says about you behind your back ;)
Oh I hear it laughing at me all right. I just give it a bit more back brake to shut it up. ;-)

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
From my own experience I really like Maxxis Shorty, my bike came with a high roller and I thought that was a great tyre but when the crappy weather set in I fitted the Shorty and OMG what a difference, that was in late 2020, it’s still on my bike and still going strong with over 1500 miles on it’s back and most of them ridden on the gnarliest trails in the Peak District.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
If i Was running a full power Ebike I would just go for the softest grippiest heavy casing tyres. When riders have 95nm on tap I fail to see why light hard tyres are necessary.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
If i Was running a full power Ebike I would just go for the softest grippiest heavy casing tyres. When riders have 95nm on tap I fail to see why light hard tyres are necessary.
Drag and handling. The heavier tyres can make he steering feel slower and the whole bike is much slower to accelerate. Plus upto 25% loss in range, a potential drop in speed and really hard work to pedal over the limit. You end up thinking you've bought an eMTB instead of an EMTB :)

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Drag and handling. The heavier tyres can make he steering feel slower and the whole bike is much slower to accelerate. Plus upto 25% loss in range, a potential drop in speed and really hard work to pedal over the limit. You end up thinking you've bought an eMTB instead of an EMTB :)
Meh, my fat arse would cancel out any benefits anyway.

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Just to upset Gary,

Will the larger diameter on the front ever catch on, oh thats mullet I guess, at some stage bikes will catch up with 30 years of MX development when someone with a lot of media coverage measures the actual weight on each tyre and works out you don't need 3.0" tyres on the front ( PSI on the actual trail ).

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
been riding a vittoria morsa 27,5x2,6 at the rear and am impressed with how easyly it rolls, gave me a gain of 5% in range over the DHR yet grips well at corners and sticks to the sides of ruts very well.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
EMBN well over 20K views on their videos
I would hope so too.
EMBN is a channel owned by a long established media company and supported financially by cycle product manufacturers and cycle companies.

Now STFU and buy all the shit they push your way like a good little consumer

RustyIron

Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I really wish Maxxis made a 27.5 Dissector DD in maxxterra for the back end.

It sounds as if you like the Dissector. I just did my first ride yesterday with a 2.6" Dissector Maxxterra in the back. I ran it at the same pressure I've been running 2.4" DHR II, and it performed just fine. It's hard to get an accurate impression after one ride, as the tire it replaced was nearly a racing slick. But hitting turns hard, it wasn't sliding at the point where I would have expected it to. So far, so good.

Dale_Calgary

Jan 22, 2022
Calgary
It sounds as if you like the Dissector. I just did my first ride yesterday with a 2.6" Dissector Maxxterra in the back. I ran it at the same pressure I've been running 2.4" DHR II, and it performed just fine. It's hard to get an accurate impression after one ride, as the tire it replaced was nearly a racing slick. But hitting turns hard, it wasn't sliding at the point where I would have expected it to. So far, so good.
It rolls very well

mike172

May 12, 2021
Surrey

Nearly a month on then what are your thoughts on the dissector vs the DHR? I am interested to know how the DHR behaves up front. Pattern wise it doesn't seem to have any lateral bite but reviews and opinion suggest otherwise.

I'm running DD Assegais on my Levo at the moment and Super Trail Magic Mary Big Betty on my Transition Patrol

The Assegai, I have to say, I am not overly impressed with. It is extremely draggy (who'd of thought....) which I didn't think would be an issue on an ebike but it really is. It also lacks the bite of say a Magic Mary which I want for Surrey Hills loam and sand. I have swapped the assegai onto the patrol too and its noticeably draggier to the point it saps rolling speed considerably. Works well on hard pack or say slightly loose conditions. I also don't think at 2.5 wide it tips in very well, something that's become apparent as I've recently replaced a magic mary rear with 2nd Assegai

So now considering a move to DHR on the Levo, or may just go back to the tried and tested (For myself at least having been running the MM on different bikes for 2 years) magic mary which isn't everyone's cup of tea. But for me works perfectly. Rolls extremely well, consistent grip at any angle, plenty of bite in all conditions. I get the squirmy thing over hardpack but it still works well

I don't like the Big Betty on the Levo, oddly it seemed to lack lateral grip yet on the Patrol its incredible, actually love the thing

Could never get on with the dissector. think Ive said this on a previous page but it had a lack of bite as you rolled the bike over as though it lacks transition knobs (I think it actually does not have any) and I fount it just slid out

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
am interested to know how the DHR behaves up front. Pattern wise it doesn't seem to have any lateral bite
😂😂
The DHRII has almost exactly the same edge tread design as a DHF one of the best cornering tread designs ever designed.

Get your tyres weighted properly, lean your bike over properly and get off your brakes.

And stop worrying about tyres. Sounds very much like it's the rider who lacks lateral skill rather than any issue with lateral grip from the tyre tread.

Last edited:

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
😂😂
The DHR has almost exactly the same edge tread design as a DHF one of the best cornering tread designs ever designed.

Get your tyres weighted properly, lean your bike over properly and get off your brakes.

And stop worrying about tyres. Sounds very much like it's the rider who lacks lateral skill rather than any issue with lateral grip from the tyre tread.
Skiers blame skis, some blame weather, some blame geo but trails are empty.
Time in the saddle is free and a great upgrade.
I see a ton of dogs, they are the regulars.
No need for heated socks for them.

mike172

May 12, 2021
Surrey
😂😂
The DHRII has almost exactly the same edge tread design as a DHF one of the best cornering tread designs ever designed.

Really useful thanks

Been riding a while now, tried some I like some I don't

Fair comment about the Assegai being draggy? Fair comment about the Dissector lacking bit when leaning over?

🍆

RustyIron

Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Nearly a month on then what are your thoughts on the dissector vs the DHR? I am interested to know how the DHR behaves up front. Pattern wise it doesn't seem to have any lateral bite but reviews and opinion suggest otherwise.

I'm enjoying the current setup with the Assegai up front and the Dissector in the rear. I think the Assegai corners great, and when pushed too hard, is predictable and recoverable.

The Dissector corners fine, and it holds its line unless I'm purposely trying to slide it, not unlike the DHR II. I think the Dissector rolls faster, but I only did a brief, very subjective test. My final thoughts will be dependent upon how long the Dissector lasts. I've got 215 miles on it right now, and it's showing wear. The DHR II starts getting squirrelly at about 400 miles, so that's what I'll be comparing the Dissector to. If I can get 425 miles out of it, I'll be happy.

I don't really have an interest in running the DHR II or the Dissector up front.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales

I'm running DD Assegais on my Levo at the moment and Super Trail Magic Mary Big Betty on my Transition Patrol

The Assegai, I have to say, I am not overly impressed with. It is extremely draggy (who'd of thought....) which I didn't think would be an issue on an ebike but it really is. It also lacks the bite of say a Magic Mary which I want for Surrey Hills loam and sand. I have swapped the assegai onto the patrol too and its noticeably draggier to the point it saps rolling speed considerably. Works well on hard pack or say slightly loose conditions. I also don't think at 2.5 wide it tips in very well, something that's become apparent as I've recently replaced a magic mary rear with 2nd Assegai

So now considering a move to DHR on the Levo, or may just go back to the tried and tested (For myself at least having been running the MM on different bikes for 2 years) magic mary which isn't everyone's cup of tea. But for me works perfectly. Rolls extremely well, consistent grip at any angle, plenty of bite in all conditions. I get the squirmy thing over hardpack but it still works well

I don't like the Big Betty on the Levo, oddly it seemed to lack lateral grip yet on the Patrol its incredible, actually love the thing

Could never get on with the dissector. think Ive said this on a previous page but it had a lack of bite as you rolled the bike over as though it lacks transition knobs (I think it actually does not have any) and I fount it just slid out

double down casing will completely slow down the rolling of your wheel. It's more the DD than the assegai tread which is creating your 'drag'. DHR tyres will be the same if you get DD casing.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles