What tyres? The Ultimate Tyre Thread

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
Suggestions please. In 2 months i should receive my 2021 Giant Trance E+, it will be on 29x2.6.
I plan to ride 3.0/2.8. I am thinking Maxxis Minion DHF with a 2.8 WTB rear.
Looking for all weather tires.

Why not try the Maxxis OEM tyres first?. I ran Eddy Currents in the Winter (2.8 f/2.6 r) on my Trance E+ 2020. The new bike feels way more agile therefore I really like the OEM tyres on the 2021 Trance X 1 29er so far - 160km. Difficult comparison as went from Winter to Spring in the 3 weeks I was without a bike before the 2021 arrived.

Give 'em a go.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Why not try the Maxxis OEM tyres first?. I ran Eddy Currents in the Winter (2.8 f/2.6 r) on my Trance E+ 2020. The new bike feels way more agile therefore I really like the OEM tyres on the 2021 Trance X 1 29er so far - 160km. Difficult comparison as went from Winter to Spring in the 3 weeks I was without a bike before the 2021 arrived.

Give 'em a go.
Yesterday i saw a similar Giant Ebike in a shop. Obviously when mine arrives in june i will try the tires it comes with.
Where i ride there are many rocks so i do not enjoy a low BB. With the flip chip i am not sure i will have all the clearance
i appreciate so that is a reason to switch to 2.8 also with leaves in the fall i will want to test 2.8. Since you are on 27.5
and i will be on 29 i will have a different selection available. After riding my Stance for 2 months last summer on the
original 2.6 i did prefer riding 2.8

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
Yesterday i saw a similar Giant Ebike in a shop. Obviously when mine arrives in june i will try the tires it comes with.
Where i ride there are many rocks so i do not enjoy a low BB. With the flip chip i am not sure i will have all the clearance
i appreciate so that is a reason to switch to 2.8 also with leaves in the fall i will want to test 2.8. Since you are on 27.5
and i will be on 29 i will have a different selection available. After riding my Stance for 2 months last summer on the
original 2.6 i did prefer riding 2.8

I have the 2021 bike hence giving the comparison to my previous Trance 2020. The bike is delivered with the flip chip high. You’ll have to change it to make it lower. I see it as a bit of a gimmick. It has pretty good clearance in high. I doubt a 2.8 will give more than a couple of mm extra clearance.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have the same 2.5 WTB Vigilante on the front (27.5), now paired with a 2.4 WTB Trail Boss on the rear. Roll real nice compared to the Verdicts, grip on the front works for me, wet or dry, as does the better rolling but slightly looser rear on the Trail Boss.
The compromise mix works for me.
I was about to press go on a purchase of a WTB Trail Boss for the rear (to match the Vigilante), when something compelled me to check my stack of tyres in the garage. I found a brand new and unused Maxxis High Roller II 3C WT Maxx Terra EXO TR. Then I remembered having bought it on the spur of the moment because it was very cheap. When I checked it was bought last August and I got £34 off. Also I had to use up a £20 voucher before it went out of date, so it felt like the £65 tyre only cost me £11 (man maths).

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Quite an amusing reply I got from Michelin when asking them what the rolling resistance differences between the Wild Enduros and the E-Wilds are:

IMG_0888.jpg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Quite an amusing reply I got from Michelin when asking them what the rolling resistance differences between the Wild Enduros and the E-Wilds are:
I had to put the reply into google translate and it said "Michelin Tyres are not suitable for use in the United Kingdom" .. :)

I'd say the Wild Enduro's have slightly less rolling resistance than the e-wilds - but then they're thinner and I've not used the e-wilds for a while.

I noticed this morning that the EWS Lapierre riders were running the Wild Enduro Fronts also on the rear for extra Traction. The Wild Enduro Rear has teeny tiny little centre knobs and coming from DH22's I'm finding myself locking up the rear wayyyyyyyy easier. Which probably just goes to show that my front/rear brake bias control/appropriate brake use is sh1t :)

For super fast slow rolling, you could put rears on the front and back - and plan ahead ! :)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
What isn't?

Just because you found a slightly faster rolling tyre than one of the slowest rolling DH tyres available doesn't make them fast rolling though does it?

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Just so you know, i can piss waaaay farther than you Gary! Word!

Put some big betty super dh 2.4's on the back of both my decoy and my mulletized meta am 29. Early days but im liking them but new tires are usually a big plus. I like the tread pattern. Im tempted to try and get a 2.6 bb instead of a mm to put on the front. Im hoping that the spacing between the center knobs and the edge knobs are a bit farther apart. Can anyone confirm this? The closest point between center and edge knobs on my 2.4's is about 8mm. If the 2.6 has that measurement at 1cm ots an ez decision. It should be close. Nice chunky tread , especially the edging knobs and ramped center knobs. I might go a bit wider on my front rim to square it up out front.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Just so you know, i can piss waaaay farther than you Gary! Word!

Put some big betty super dh 2.4's on the back of both my decoy and my mulletized meta am 29. Early days but im liking them but new tires are usually a big plus. I like the tread pattern. Im tempted to try and get a 2.6 bb instead of a mm to put on the front. Im hoping that the spacing between the center knobs and the edge knobs are a bit farther apart. Can anyone confirm this? The closest point between center and edge knobs on my 2.4's is about 8mm. If the 2.6 has that measurement at 1cm ots an ez decision. It should be close. Nice chunky tread , especially the edging knobs and ramped center knobs. I might go a bit wider on my front rim to square it up out front.
For a grippy front many say a lot of good about WTB Vigilante. I will try to get one.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
For a grippy front many say a lot of good about WTB Vigilante. I will try to get one.
The tread pattern dies look good. On a few of their tires actually. I hear good things on the vigilante but i also hear different things too. Not super tacky rubber and being able to lean passed the edge knobs are the complaints that come to mind. I really should try some for my self. They have a great selection of sizes and casings

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
Apologies for the totally shite question but why the obsession with fast rolling tyres?
Most of us are on 20+ kg electric bikes for feck sake, the motor will surely negate most of the drag will it not?
Anyway, time to go back under my rock ?

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Apologies for the totally shite question but why the obsession with fast rolling tyres?
Most of us are on 20+ kg electric bikes for feck sake, the motor will surely negate most of the drag will it not?
Im with ya. Id lean towards traction but my as well have ramped/bevelled leading edge center knobs to increase mileage per charge

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I've recently changed from Butcher's to e wilds, so far I've seen my range drop by about 5%.
Also on flat ground when over the assistance level, you can really feel the difference with draggy tyres.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I'm not sure anyone actually is obsessed but the fact is a bike does handle completely differently with heavy draggy DH tyres to lighter faster rolling ones and there's a massive difference in acceleration or riding above the assistance limit too.
It's just a preference. Even manaulling and jumping with faster rolling tyres is completely different to a slower set.

I could turn the question back at you and ask what's the obsession with having the absolute grippiest tyres available when the vast majority of ebikers can't even weight a bike properly or corner for shit? :p :cool:

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
We live in different areas so needs differ. The # 1 reason i bought an Ebike is i have no car.
I ride to the trails, enjoy the trails + ride back. I am not planning on 2 fast rollers but i will
not ride the 2 slowest tires. I agree with more power an Ebike needs traction.
That is why i love 2.8 and in june i plan to switch the 2.6x29 on my new Ebike for 2.8.
Here Butchers are knowed for traction so the Ewild is not for me.

Last edited:

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
I'm not sure anyone actually is obsessed but the fact is a bike does handle completely differently with heavy draggy DH tyres to lighter faster rolling ones and there's a massive difference in acceleration or riding above the assistance limit too.
It's just a preference. Even manaulling and jumping with faster rolling tyres is completely different to a slower set.

I could turn the question back at you and ask what's the obsession with having the absolute grippiest tyres available when the vast majority of ebikers can't even weight a bike properly or corner for shit? :p :cool:

As a proud Yorkshireman I generally just go for the cheapest :LOL:
Seriously though, I don't think I could ever push a tyre hard enough to be able to tell if one is grippier than another, of the few tyres I've had on my ebike so far width seems to play a much bigger part in the handling of the bike.

Interesting comment from @Paul Mac saying his range has dropped 5% with different tyres, it has never been a concern for me when buying tyres as I generally don't go on long 40 mile rides to be able to tell.

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
Out of interest, I am used to narrower front and wider rear tyre on my motorcycles. Especially with higher power and torque.
Why would one put wider in the front and narrower at the back? Downhill perhaps?

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Out of interest, I am used to narrower front and wider rear tyre on my motorcycles. Especially with higher power and torque.
Why would one put wider in the front and narrower at the back? Downhill perhaps?
Pre assistance(years ago) the mountain bikers had the habit to want more grip in front because most
of the braking power is there and the direction. A slip in front might cause a concussion, not fun.
The rear has less consequence if it slips.
The front grippy/slow tire is almost of no consequence.
Put a slow/grippy in rear and it slows you.
Humans are creatures of habit so the *tradition* has been transferred to Ebikes.
I agree with you an E mountainbike in my view should come with 35mm rims
a frame and fork with room so we could put 2.4 to 3.0 depending on where
we ride and what season.
That is part of the mullet view 29 front with 27.5+ rear so we can climb the wet roots
and the human added to the assist power is not wasted.
We see many happy customer with their 12 speeds Ebikes when logically
10 speeds is plenty.
Many buy what is new, what is trendy but some ride a lot and buy what works.
I replaced my 27.5X2.6 with 3.0 and i am glad i did.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Tyre volume plays a huge part in handling too.
As an ex DH rider who loves to jump and prefers a playful bike set up I find plus tyres and 35mm+ rims absolutely horrible and no good for anything but comfort and only any good for plodding. And just because you have a motor and a slightly heavier bike doesn't mean that is no longer true.
Not all. But many Ebikers I see have a horrible lazy riding style and rarely even weight their tyres properly to gain grip just relying on their equipment instead of skill. Both climbing and descending. If that's you fair enough but don't go around saying all Ebikes need what you happen to run.

eMullet

Mar 28, 2021
Planet Earth
Really happy with Conti's Der baron tyres. Last ride was pretty wet and muddy, also temperature was about 5-7C in technical rooty and rocky trails. Running 29x2.4 front and 27,5x2.6 rear with 1,4bar & 1,6bar respectively, tubeless.

No unsuprising slips on wet roots. The rock is pretty grippy granite here in Finland even when wet tho.

I'm all for grip over rolling, especially with an ebike.

sirjp

Apr 27, 2021
durham
Looking for some feedback on Vee Tyres, has anyone used them? General idea seems to be very grippybut very slow rolling.
Had a little look online and reviews are a little thin and note much on youtube either, currently running a minnion DHF(2.5) & DHR(2.8)
Tyres have been on for the last 12 months and the rear is looking worse for wear, thought about changing to something more unusual.
If not considering MM(f+r) / NM(r) MM(f) or sticking maxxis with maybe assagei front maybe DHR2 rear.
Thinking anything will have less drag than the 2.8 on the bike at the minute.

Thanks for any feedback

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles