What tyres? The Ultimate Tyre Thread

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
2019 Levo Comp. I ride mostly forest trails but have also done some very rocky terrain and the original Butcher Grids have taken everything I have thrown at them. Having to do more local xc/ bridleway type riding in the lockdown and with the hot dry weather we have had, typical conditions in the UK even in the forests has become loose over hard and the Butchers have too open a grip pattern to give confidence. So I changed both front and rear to 2.3 Eliminators. I am running tubeless and still experimenting with pressures but so far very pleased with their performance......and at £17 a tyre in the Spesh sale they are a steal.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Going to put a DHR2 2.4” on the front of the Levo SL and a 2.3 Minion SS on the rear. Hopefully nice balance between weight, grip and rolling resistance.

MrBrownstone

May 2, 2020
Maine
After wearing out my Maxxis Forekaster 2.35’s a neighbor gave me a practically brand new 29x2.6 DHF 3c EXO TR which I put up front and a barely used 29x2.4 Ardent EXO TR that I put out back. Holy grip and roll Batman!!! This will be my new tire combo moving forward on my BMC Speedfox AMP. The Ardent is huge for a 2.4.?

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
NO WAY. DHR2 is an absolute dog as far as rolling goes.

OOOoooff! I can smell a firey internet debate brewing! :p:p

"Rolls as a dog" compared to what exactly? Whats a better rolling all-rounder then?

I'll admit, I just checked the topic of DHF/DHRII rolling resistance on other forums and there's certainly 2 divided camps on each side. Guess that means that either way, the difference is at least minimal.

In my experience, the DHF drags more in the rear. It has taller knobs and needs to be run at slightly lower pressures to minimize the 'traction deadzone' between running upright to being fully leaned over. The DHR is also slightly lighter and most commonly found in 2.4 widths whereas the FHR seems most popular in 2.5.

Sure an Aggressor or Minion SS is going to roll faster in ideal conditions but turns to shit as soon as you touch any mud, roots and rocks.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
The fact ysomeone is calling the DHFs transition from centre knobs to edge knobs the "traction dead zone" rather than the "drift zone" speaks tons to me about how they ride them. The drift zone is far from "dead" and if you actually spend time learning how the drift zone of a DHF behaves you'll find it massively predictable and masively fun to use. Once learned a Minion SS becomes miles more useable on the rear in most situations but won't clog with mud in the centre tread in the way a DHF might. Where the SS loses out massively soft/wet conditions is straight line grip under braking and climbing/Acceleration. On dry rock and root those short, close spaced semi slick centre knobs behave just fine.
in reality, with the same compound, same casing and same pressures there's not a huge difference in rolling speed betwen a DHF and DHR.
The DHRII has masses more braking grip and a lot more upright climbing grip than a DHF. The two treads also shed mud slighlty differently and there's a subtle difference in drift zone control. once leant over properly onto their outer edge tread all 3 tyres behave almost exactly the same.

The internet is awash of forum replies from riders comparing grip between tyres without actually comparing the same casings, pressures and compounds. Dogs is an even odder comparison. are we taliking Greyhound, Fat lab or dachshund

MrBrownstone

May 2, 2020
Maine
OOOoooff! I can smell a firey internet debate brewing! :p:p

"Rolls as a dog" compared to what exactly? Whats a better rolling all-rounder then?

I'll admit, I just checked the topic of DHF/DHRII rolling resistance on other forums and there's certainly 2 divided camps on each side. Guess that means that either way, the difference is at least minimal.

In my experience, the DHF drags more in the rear. It has taller knobs and needs to be run at slightly lower pressures to minimize the 'traction deadzone' between running upright to being fully leaned over. The DHR is also slightly lighter and most commonly found in 2.4 widths whereas the FHR seems most popular in 2.5.

Sure an Aggressor or Minion SS is going to roll faster in ideal conditions but turns to shit as soon as you touch any mud, roots and rocks.

Ha bed time for me, riding early am. I WILL be back to “discuss” this very important topic tomorrow!!!?

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
The fact ysomeone is calling the DHFs transition from centre knobs to edge knobs the "traction dead zone" rather than the "drift zone" speaks tons to me about how they ride them. The drift zone is far from "dead" and if you actually spend time learning how the drift zone of a DHF behaves you'll find it massively predictable and masively fun to use. Once learned a Minion SS becomes miles more useable on the rear in most situations but won't clog with mud in the centre tread in the way a DHF might. Where the SS loses out massively soft/wet conditions is straight line grip under braking and climbing/Acceleration. On dry rock and root those short, close spaced semi slick centre knobs behave just fine.
in reality, with the same compound, same casing and same pressures there's not a huge difference in rolling speed betwen a DHF and DHR.
The DHRII has masses more braking grip and a lot more upright climbing grip than a DHF. The two treads also shed mud slighlty differently and there's a subtle difference in drift zone control. once leant over properly onto their outer edge tread all 3 tyres behave almost exactly the same.

The internet is awash of forum replies from riders comparing grip between tyres without actually comparing the same casings, pressures and compounds. Dogs is an even odder comparison. are we taliking Greyhound, Fat lab or dachshund
Ha bed time for me, riding early am. I WILL be back to “discuss” this very important topic tomorrow!!!?
Haha, I look forward to it! Have a goodnight and a good ride

craig landau

Dec 19, 2018
brisbane australia
my old merida 160-900 had minion dhf 2.8 wide , cornered like a tram , my new sam has the same tyre but 2.6 and its dodgy as fuk , i ride on dusty rocky tracks , maybe i need to get a smaller knob like a rekon or something, i have yet to muck around with the folk rebound settings, but im washing out on lots of berms now .

MrBrownstone

May 2, 2020
Maine
Haha, I look forward to it! Have a goodnight and a good ride

haha I almost forgot!

ok here goes, so I’ve ridden and raced mtb for damn near 30 years. I’ve NEVER geeked out over tires. Just like it ain’t about the bike, it ain’t about the tires 9 times outta 10, it’s about the rider. If it’s rubber with knobs, or barely any ha, at proper air pressure it’s gonna work just fine. Shit I used to race in all conditions with Ritchey speed max wcs tires no matter the conditions and killed it haha. Speed and momentum and all that. Now I’ve never really not liked any tires, EVER, until I demo’d a 2019 Giant Trance 29er. Nice bike but the stock maxxis 29x2.3 DHR 2 were just the worst and about the only tire I’ve ever complained about. It ruined the Giant and is a really dumb choice to spec on an efficient snappy 130mm travel 29er. The tires felt draggy, catchy, slow and just plain yuck. I like my tires like I like my rigid seatpost. Never have to think about them, they just plain work.

That said, I’m LOVING my DHF 29x2.6 up front and Ardent 29x2.4 out back. The combo does everything I want.

kendo

Sep 2, 2019
Scotland
So I’ve used only Specialized plus sized tyres, 3.0 Pergatory and 2.8 Butcher. Butchers seem quite a bit stiffer, less corner roll. Am a fan of Schwalbe tyres and will be interesting to see what we can get in the 2.8 sizes in the future. With EMTB’s gaining popularity I’m sure we will see an ever growing selection of plus-sized rubber :LOL:

View attachment 1143
For all around greatness..Schwalbe Current Eddy's....I have the 2.8 as that's all they had when they came out, been running them for months and the wear is nowhere near as bad as any of the top other big brands i.e. Magic Mary, High Rollers or Minion combo's whatever etc....try them if you don't believe me....grip, rolling and control is excellent apart from in the skanky, claggy mud. I now would be going for the 2.6's front and rear for nimble cornering.

Randy

Apr 23, 2020
Henley on Thames
Now several hundred miles into the 2.6 dhf/rejon+ Combo... really like it. Battery range is night and day better than the assegai bubble gum tyres, grip is still good. After the first couple of rides I found out about the dhf ‘drift zone’ and now I’m riding the bike in a similar way to my old bike with rock razor on (kicking it right over when I want trip) and I can see why the dhf pairs well with an ss rear. Still, the recon works well in all conditions I’ve thrown at it and is more predictable at all lean angles than a rock razor. I was concerned that the recon side knobs would fold but they don’t, at least not in the local Xc stuff I’ve been riding in lately. Basically seems like a good do-it-all combo and I’m surprised as I’ve not liked any of the maxxis tyres I’ve tried previously

nickfrog

May 22, 2020
UK
For all around greatness..Schwalbe Current Eddy's....I have the 2.8 as that's all they had when they came out, been running them for months and the wear is nowhere near as bad as any of the top other big brands i.e. Magic Mary, High Rollers or Minion combo's whatever etc....try them if you don't believe me....grip, rolling and control is excellent apart from in the skanky, claggy mud. I now would be going for the 2.6's front and rear for nimble cornering.

Sounds good. I just ordered x2 2.6 29 Eddy's from Bike24 for €90 to replace the 2.4 Minions on the Decoy which I don't get on well with. They're too square lol

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Really like the DHR2 Front and Minion SS Rear for the hard dry Surrey Hills at the moment on the Levo SL. Nice rolling out the back and a lightish tyre at around 830g.

A fun combo making the rear nice and lively but massive amount of grip on corners. Definitely enough straight line braking grip with the DHR2 on the front and this out the back in the current conditions.

I'm sure as soon as it gets a bit wet I'll swap back to the DHR2 on the rear again, but at £29 a tyre for the SS I'd recommend giving it a go for some dry summer riding unless you need massive braking / climbing grip from the rear.

IMG_1730.jpeg

MrBrownstone

May 2, 2020
Maine
Really like the DHR2 Front and Minion SS Rear for the hard dry Surrey Hills at the moment on the Levo SL. Nice rolling out the back and a lightish tyre at around 830g.

A fun combo making the rear nice and lively but massive amount of grip on corners. Definitely enough straight line braking grip with the DHR2 on the front and this out the back in the current conditions.

I'm sure as soon as it gets a bit wet I'll swap back to the DHR2 on the rear again, but at £29 a tyre for the SS I'd recommend giving it a go for some dry summer riding unless you need massive braking / climbing grip from the rear.

View attachment 33653

minion SS = a DHF or DHR 2 after a thousand or more miles on em so you can save yerself the money by wearing down those tires instead of buying a new pre worn down tire like the SS or a spesh slaughter.?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Except it totally isn't.

Unless of course you skidded in a straight line for all thousand of those miles then spent a week glueing on a new lower profile closer spaced centre tread ?

Varaxis

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2018
California, USA
I don't recommend the DHR 2 for the rear, at all. I thought I had bad luck pinch flatting it, but repeat occurrences with much increased pressure led me to drop the idea of using it on the rear. I love the tire, since it seemingly gives me so much confidence to open up and go fast, but I think I need a DD or DH version of it.

Up front, I'm impressed by the control the DHR 2 gives me while braking on steep loose eroded raw trails, allowing me to steer where I want rather than getting funneled into the ruts. The way a DHF corners feels like magic, but I don't think I compromise much on DHR 2 on corners.

I'd like to try the Eddy Current in 29x2.4. I was impressed by it in plus size, except in muck. It hydroplanes too easily and doesn't clear well, but when it's dry it gets me to wonder if it can dethrone Minions for SoCal terrain. It doesn't roll badly either, especially for its weight. Faster than the Assegai I currently have on the rear; am only keeping this one on since I want to get my money's worth, despite it being the draggiest tire I've ridden yet. As a bonus, I giggle when I see the Eddy Current tire tracks in the dust, as it looks so moto. Only reason why I stopped riding it was because I cracked the rim it was mounted on.

RodC

May 28, 2020
Queretaro, Mexico
Gentlemen, it would be very useful if you can include the size of tires and rim, plus the moldel & carcass on your descriptions.

I’ve been looking for some tires only to find out they only exist in 27.5” or in some cases, like in above post, the Tyrewas not a DD carcass.

nickfrog

May 22, 2020
UK
I'd like to try the Eddy Current in 29x2.4. I was impressed by it in plus size, except in muck. It hydroplanes too easily and doesn't clear well, but when it's dry it gets me to wonder if it can dethrone Minions for SoCal terrain.

I just fitted the pair of Eddy's on the my Decoy 29 in 2.6 to replace the OE DHR2 2.4. Really impressed. Heavy but grippy, predictable and very supportive. The Minions were OK but this is quite an upgrade. No idea how much range I have lost but not tons based on early observations, perhaps 5%.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
I've ordered some Michelin Rock R2 Enduro for my mullet Levo
Perfect application for that tire. The do it all emtb. My fave tire thus far. I just bought a dh34 dh casing to have on another wheelset. Curious how it compares. Similar with a bit more spacing between the knobs but not as much as ewild/wild enduro spacing

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Gentlemen, it would be very useful if you can include the size of tires and rim, plus the moldel & carcass on your descriptions.

I’ve been looking for some tires only to find out they only exist in 27.5” or in some cases, like in above post, the Tyrewas not a DD carcass.
This^^ night and day between an exo and a dh casing ,or dd casing,for performance . Most other brands have equivalent casings. Exo=850-950g , dd=1050-1200g, dh=1300-1500g. Apples and oranges. The usable psi, and durability , usage , dirt, rocks and roots on your trails further differentiate

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
I put the Michelin e-wild 2.6 27.5" on the rear of my Decoy this evening. It looks tiny compared to the 2.8 Minion DHR. I'll give it a ride tomorrow and see how it feels, but I think the bike might sit too low. If so, will try the e-wild 2.8 next.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
I put the Michelin e-wild 2.6 27.5" on the rear of my Decoy this evening. It looks tiny compared to the 2.8 Minion DHR. I'll give it a ride tomorrow and see how it feels, but I think the bike might sit too low. If so, will try the e-wild 2.8 next.
Tech pedaling on the coast but i havent had any problems with bb height here. I went to high position and put the fork at 170. I ran it in low position today at the bike park but that was just the flow/jump trail that was open. Most days im in the high position. I figure ill have it in low position more often after i put the fork at 180. I was looking at 160 cranks but i think im good now. 2.6 ewild rear and 2.35 rockr2 front. Ewilds roll faster than i thought they would

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Tech pedaling on the coast but i havent had any problems with bb height here. I went to high position and put the fork at 170. I ran it in low position today at the bike park but that was just the flow/jump trail that was open. Most days im in the high position. I figure ill have it in low position more often after i put the fork at 180. I was looking at 160 cranks but i think im good now. 2.6 ewild rear and 2.35 rockr2 front. Ewilds roll faster than i thought they would
I already have the bike in high setting, and prefer it over the low setting. I also have a pair of Miranda 155 cranks sitting here that I need to install.

The 2.8 e-wild's are a pretty good price in Europe from places like Merlin so I think I'll get one. I could do with the tire removal/install practice at home anyway before I actually get a flat on the trail :)

One thing I noticed with the 2.6 install this afternoon was that when I was inflating the tire, it leaned to the right. This was fixed by inflating the tire to 60 PSI and then the tire straightened itself out again.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
I already have the bike in high setting, and prefer it over the low setting. I also have a pair of Miranda 155 cranks sitting here that I need to install.

The 2.8 e-wild's are a pretty good price in Europe from places like Merlin so I think I'll get one. I could do with the tire removal/install practice at home anyway before I actually get a flat on the trail :)

One thing I noticed with the 2.6 install this afternoon was that when I was inflating the tire, it leaned to the right. This was fixed by inflating the tire to 60 PSI and then the tire straightened itself out again.
Nice!! I havent totally signed off on cranks. Definitely shuffled down the list right now though. Be interested to hear how the cranks go for you and the tire comparison. Not sure i want a 2.8 but maybe if i had a good front tire in a 2.6 to go with it. Maybe another set of wheels that i could switch from a + sized hardtail on occasion

Armeniandave

Sep 10, 2018
San Diego, California
Just put on the e-Wild rear 2.80" on my decoy and wow they are super sweet.
They seem to roll better than the DHR I had on it and the grip is great. Also one
of the main reasons I went with them was the puncture resistance that they
supposedly have. I have punctured my DHR's way too many times so thought
it was a good time to try something different. When I was installing them the
difference in sidewall was apparent. It really does feel like a smaller motorcycle
tire to be honest!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles