What tyres? The Ultimate Tyre Thread

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
The winning combo for me thus far has been 27.5 2.8" DHF up front and 2.8" DHR 2 in the rear, at 20 psi rear/18 psi front. They will slide out at times, but predictably. I've been able to set some very fast times descending on that combo.

Blebo19

Dec 1, 2019
Italy
My final setup is michelin wild enduro 2.8 front + banger 2.0 , they fit perfect, + very low pressure , 0.9 bar ant 1.2 post.

I' ll never use schwable 2.8 anymore, are too big , and mm dowels broken easily

Blebo19

Dec 1, 2019
Italy
The winning combo for me thus far has been 27.5 2.8" DHF up front and 2.8" DHR 2 in the rear, at 20 psi rear/18 psi front. They will slide out at times, but predictably. I've been able to set some very fast times descending on that combo.
Yes but exo+ , and are a little too big in the 2.8 size.
The perfect size for me is 2.8 by michelin, it is 1cm less diameter than maxxis 2.8, so the banger 2.0 fulfill it and it works better.
Smoot ride, less nasty vibrations, less bounching, super grip, precision

Last edited:

Agamemnon

Nov 17, 2019
Florida
Dumb question but I have Minions in 2.8 inches on my bike. I have two questions:
1.) if I tend to do 70 percent street and 30 trail what’s the recommendation, Florida like trails.
2.) if my tires are 2.8” wide can I come down a size, like to 2.6” wide?

Blebo19

Dec 1, 2019
Italy
Dumb question but I have Minions in 2.8 inches on my bike. I have two questions:
1.) if I tend to do 70 percent street and 30 trail what’s the recommendation, Florida like trails.
2.) if my tires are 2.8” wide can I come down a size, like to 2.6” wide?
Try michelin wild enduro 2.8 , it is not big like maxxis 2.8.
I like it , and run faster.

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Just got my 2.5 Shorty installed -rear- and very happy with its mudabilty. I think any tire will plug up in Kentucky clay, but it grips even plugged, and cleaned out well. I was able to do some fairly technical climbs in seriously slippery wet clay. It mated well with the Assegai on the front and this combo is likely good enough for me to claim I have found a suitable setup for my winter slop fest. The bike felt balanced with neither end giving up much before the other. I found that now that I have enough rear grip to keep moving, the assegai up front cleaned out much better than when I was running the hopeless -for mud- rekon on the rear.

This is at the top of a first gear climb and while the clay is obviously happy to stick around, it couldn't stay stuck in the middle of the tire.
20191222_102728.jpg

Here you can see the assegai didnt clean out as well, but it was still gripping enough. The assegai is better while crossing wet logs than the shorty.
20191222_102733.jpg

Neither of these are fast rolling tires, they suck the life from the battery, and both are quite heavy... and it can be felt on the trail. In these condition's -heavy sticky clay- I'm in boost almost continuously, but I'm out there doing it daily so be it. Come summer I will be happy to shed these pigs for something lighter and faster.

Gray squirrel

Dec 25, 2019
Ny
2.8 + are smooth but if you are heavy 200 lbs or more and u rip they a bit soft on sidewall roll .If you rip 2.5 wt minion dhf and dhr2 on back ?I can't get front end to wash out trying ? 35 inner rim with Ibis rims

Elover

Feb 5, 2020
Chelmsford
Eddy currents rule ? have run maxxis on various bikes but I found the 2.8 was just too thin on rocky stuff and way too many pinch flats, on tubeless... Also run a rear tyre insert, they are fantastic if you ride rocky stuff.

Varaxis

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2018
California, USA
I had Minion SS rear and Hellkat front on my 27.5 enduro bike, and I felt like it had no redeeming traits that would have me using it over a DHR2, riding on mostly dry dusty hardpack. It's all compromise, and DHR2 seems to be more trustworthy and rolls fast enough. I just had durability issues with pinch flats lately, even with CushCore, that I had to plug the tire up for (the repair didn't last).

I'd like to try Wild Enduros, but since I mostly only ride dusty/sandy desert hardpack, I find it hard to move away from Maxxis tires. I'll just check out sales on DD versions of DHR2 I guess.

I will add that I've been quite pleased with a Schwalbe Fat Albert front. Having no center paddle and having more of an chevron angled profile rather than a rounded or squared off one, seemed to help it climb out of ruts extremely well and more naturally fall into a lean.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
The Altitude comes with a 2.5 dhf in the rear, I was thinking on a 2.6 with less knobby thread but more volume.

I guess a SS tire lacks too much grip, the DHF rolls noticeable better? What are the usual alternatives for a fast rolling but still safety grip tires for the rear?

Varaxis

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2018
California, USA
Maxxis Aggressor DD would be the one I'd get for the rear if I were shopping, more cause there are knobs in the area where I would get snake bite punctures. That's for my climate though--Maxxis rubber is unbeatable still in the dry, and lasts super long. There's some stupidily steep fireroads here that are unmaintained, with trenches going down them, and the DHR2 allows me to never lock up the rear with 180 rotor, whereas the SS skids relatively uncontrolled, compelling me to be more careful and descend at a crawling pace (or just risk my neck recklessly and try to adapt to whatever comes without brakes).

An equivalent would be the Schwalbe Hans Dampf or maybe a Spec Eliminator, if you want something with more of an all-season rubber.

P.S. Here's a picture of what I mean about the Schwalbe Fat Albert tire profile having a more pronounced angle (3rd tire from left):

tire.png

I think Tioga tried to hype this design style up, not having a center paddle, sort of grabbing the ground like a talon, with their Edge model.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
Maxxis Aggressor DD would be the one I'd get for the rear if I were shopping, more cause there are knobs in the area where I would get snake bite punctures. That's for my climate though--Maxxis rubber is unbeatable still in the dry, and lasts super long. There's some stupidily steep fireroads here that are unmaintained, with trenches going down them, and the DHR2 allows me to never lock up the rear with 180 rotor, whereas the SS skids relatively uncontrolled, compelling me to be more careful and descend at a crawling pace (or just risk my neck recklessly and try to adapt to whatever comes without brakes).

An equivalent would be the Schwalbe Hans Dampf or maybe a Spec Eliminator, if you want something with more of an all-season rubber.

Edited: I was checking the High Roller 2 Ardent, is something between aggressor and DHR2? ... I trust the maxxis charts but I do more the “real people“

Last edited:

Varaxis

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2018
California, USA
In my experience, DHR2 is between Aggressor and Ikon in rolling speed, but no worse in traction than Aggressor. DHF and HR2 roll slower. Shorty is between Aggressor and DHF. I have faith that the Aggressor wins in puncture resistance though, that makes it worth considering. I've not wanted to go back to XC tires despite riding clearly XC terrain. Just too much compromise that I feel that I'd be giving up so much capability. The Ardent is outdated...

DHR2 is the wonder tire that blurs its perceived category, being an excellent all-rounder with minimal compromises. The main weakness is having large naked spots between center and side knobs that can pinch between rocks and the rim.

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
Edited: I was checking the High Roller 2 Ardent, is something between aggressor and DHR2? ... I trust the maxxis charts but I do more the “real people“

I also wonder about the Ardent. I like my DHF/DHR2 combo but the Ardent looks like it might roll slightly better but still deal with the wet.

Varaxis

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2018
California, USA
To no one in particular, just sharing my experience:

Beware of Kenda. They seemingly changed their rubber compound to have insane traction for a few hundred miles, but I found that I start trusting it, and suddenly find myself needing new tires since the knobs are all chewed up. I had similar experience with Vee Rubber tires (which e13 uses, which I argue has a stouter casing than most other trail ones out there, like EXO/GRID/XR/SnakeSkin). Maxxis knobs take 3000+ miles to wear out. That's the value I come to learn to love.

Spec tires I rarely wear out, mostly because I replace them when they seem to get "chalked" and lose their stickiness. Fresh, they throw sand into the air annoyingly, until they get caked in some dusty chalk stuff, which is when it feels like they lose their bite and start slipping. Not a tire for dry, but amazing in hero dirt.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I also wonder about the Ardent. I like my DHF/DHR2 combo but the Ardent looks like it might roll slightly better but still deal with the wet.
If you want fast rolling pay attention to the compound.
Dual compound is maxxis hardest fastest rolling compound and will noticably roll quicker on any of their tread designs.
If you want maximum rolling speed buy a minion SS in dual compound and run it higher pressure so it doesn't deform so much and will run off the edge knobs more in a straight line.
They are actually good in the wet/mud as having do little actual tread they pretty much never pack/clog. The downside is very little braking grip or straight line sat like a potato climbing traction. to get the best out of the tyre you need to get it leant over. Those side knobs are the exact same as a DHF so absolutely rail if trusted. They'll also climb mud if you lean the bike into them.
TBF putting this much thought into riding is probably not viable for the average 150mm crank spinning Ebike rider

Personally I wouldn't bother with an Ardent

Last edited:

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
Great input Gary, thanks. Whilst not a rider like you i don’t like to ride and let the bike carry me around like I see many ebike riders do. I love a fast rolling ride and don’t need a tank so I’m willing to make a few compromises to get there.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
whereas the SS skids relatively uncontrolled
Practice your skids bro.
You're dissing one of the most predictable and controllable drifting tyres ever created.
With experience, playing in the drift zone* you can initiate drift or grip at will like an ON/OFF switch

*the contact patch created when leant over slightly and running just between the edge and centre tread

Varaxis

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2018
California, USA
I'm much used to letting the tires roll. I learn my tires by finding their limits through multiple crashes. I get the full spectrum, including high side crashes from oversteer. I don't like skids; I like hearing them scratch for traction without the brakes further reducing their traction.

I do opt for dual compound for my area, so that's probably why I think DHR2 roll so fast and perform well for hard and dry. I recall an old bike German mag that showed the DHR2 as having 28.6 W of Crr (coefficient of rolling resistance). I emailed Jarno Bierman at BicycleRollingResistance and he believes it might be a typo, that 38.6 is more likely, but even that is good, but I don't doubt 28.6 if it were the dual compound (38.6 if 3c MaxxTerra). Reifen: Neue Profile für Race-, Touren- und Trail-Bikes

Ardent has drew a lot of blood, both from me and others I come across on the trail, learning how a tire's transition zone can behave. The times it gave up were not fun, such as trying to turn off to a side trail from a fireroad descent and dropping violently face first due to sudden front tire washout. It doesn't even roll very fast (30+ W, iirc)...

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
There's no such tyre as a DHF2.

CHOOSE TREAD BASED ON CONDITIONS AND TERRAIN

COMPOUND IS ALWAYS A COMPROMISE BETWEEN GRIP AND ROLLING RESISTANCE

and stop asking stupid questions

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
There's no such tyre as a DHF2.

CHOOSE TREAD BASED ON CONDITIONS AND TERRAIN

COMPOUND IS ALWAYS A COMPROMISE BETWEEN GRIP AND ROLLING RESISTANCE

and stop asking stupid questions

wow wow! Easy man, sorry if it’s a stupid question but is this a tire thread for people to ask or a expert lounge?

All I want to know is what is more important for less rolling resistance, compound or tread

Yeah both matters, yes I a bit complex, but is possible to say one is cleary more important than the other? Maybe you can choose a knobby tire in a harder compound than other that still bites in loose but (that’s what I want to know) and rolls better or better enough, than a bit less knobby but softer compound that is gonna stick on hard and compact.

im just to try to learn man!

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
wow wow! Easy man, sorry if it’s a stupid question but is this a tire thread for people to ask or a expert lounge?

All I want to know is what is more important for less rolling resistance, compound or tread

Yeah both matters, yes I a bit complex, but is possible to say one is cleary more important than the other? Maybe you can choose a knobby tire in a harder compound than other that still bites in loose but (that’s what I want to know) and rolls better or better enough, than a bit less knobby but softer compound that is gonna stick on hard and compact.

im just to try to learn man!
What rubber does your RM have currently Ed? I'm still running the original 2.5" DHF and Aggressor tyres from new. With just over 3000km now I'll be replacing them at 3500km. I've got another Aggressor rear and a DHF 3C Maxx Terra for the front. I've been very happy with their performance in all weather as I purchased the bike at the start of winter and we're in our summer now.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
What rubber does your RM have currently Ed? I'm still running the original 2.5" DHF and Aggressor tyres from new. With just over 3000km now I'll be replacing them at 3500km. I've got another Aggressor rear and a DHF 3C Maxx Terra for the front. I've been very happy with their performance in all weather as I purchased the bike at the start of winter and we're in our summer now.

The 2.5 dhf front and rear.

The rear is overkill for my trails but since we got a motor and in some situations I want still a good bite, well, im gonna keep with a grippy tire but not that grippy. So now here’s the question, less agressive tread in softer compound (if possible) or keep the tread on a harder compound.

My trails have everything, it’s dry but there’s loose, loose over hard, hard pack, rocks roots ... but i would say mainly is loose over hard, from dust to small rocks.

pd: #BetteraskGary ! o_O:LOL:

Last edited:

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
The 2.5 dhf front and rear.

The rear is overkill for my trails but since we got a motor and in some situations I want still a good bite, well, im gonna keep with a grippy tire but not that grippy. So now here’s the question, less agressive tread in softer compound (if possible) or keep the tread on a harder compound.

My trails have everything, it’s dry but there’s loose, loose over hard, hard pack, rocks roots ... but i would say mainly is loose over hard, from dust to small rocks.

pd: #BetteraskGary ! o_O:LOL:

We have a mix of terrain here. Up on the hills there's a lot of volcanic rock. I've found that Aggressor to be a very capable rear tyre that handles plenty of abuse, offers good braking and climbing traction in all weather. I run tubes around 19psi R and 18psi F. Personally I wouldn't bother with a Minion rear, but I prefer tyres that are good all-round and will compromise grip in certain situations to achieve this.

Varaxis

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2018
California, USA
Maxxis dual compound rolls faster, and is a good choice for hard/dry. 3C if you have mixed conditions where there's wet involved. DC also seems to retain consistent performance as it wears, while 3C loses quite a bit of traction as it wears. I can wear DC tires to balder than a semi-slick, but the hard underlayer of 3C has poor traction and is hard to wear out, seemingly there to give the softer surface rubber stiffer structure as a knob.

DHF 3c eats up 45+ W of energy, from what I recall from rolling resistance tests. The fastest XC tires eat up 20 W or so. On the bright side, you don't need to brake as much on descents with the slower rolling tire, considering the resistance and the more confidence-inspiring traction.

jsharpe

May 15, 2019
USA
Vittoria is what i wear on my XC hardtail, great tires for that, haven’t tried any of their enduro tires, what they offer are pretty much the same draw other brands wich I’m ok with it on my ebike and I don’t want to do experiments, but now they offer the Vittoria Agarro on 27.5/29, 2.35/2.6 and it’s looks a good compromise between rolling and grip

seems good if you want to carry speed on a mixed hardpack/loose trail, for example

View attachment 20366
This looks like exactly the kind of tire I've been looking for the trails and conditions I ride. There are a couple of videos that show some pretty impressive rock crawling. Here and here. It helps that they are fairly light and can be found for a reasonable price.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles