What tyres? The Ultimate Tyre Thread

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Really like the 2.4 DHR2 Maxx Terra Exo, on both front and rear on the 2019 Levo.

As an experiment I’ve just got a set of DHR2’s in 2.6 Exo+, will try these over the next month to compare against the 2.4.

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Anyone tried Hans Damf in 2.6 on the rear? Going to give it a go with MM upfront.
My mate had that combo but was not impressed with the hans damf.
Changed to magic mary front and rear.
I have recently changed my butcher grids for the black diamond versions, they are a very study tyre in the side wall, so far happy with them.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Hans dampf are a medioce intermediate (fairly open) tread design. (there. I've said it)
The newer ones are a slightly better tread design than the original but still uninspiring without a well thought out edge knob design. The entire tread knob shape and direction layout makes no sense. it's symetrical FFS! (so doing the exact opposite thing every few inches of rotation)
The soft compound rubber and large volume will offer plenty grip for climbing/braking even if Schwalbe got their blind tread designer to work on the design (I'm fairly sure the HD is his work)
and the open design will stop it clogging in sticky mud or floating quite so much over peasoup where a narrower volume tyre is better.
Good braking and turning traits are far more important up front so what you really want most from a rear tyre is good reliable predictive edge grip and a predictable transition from upright to fully leant over.
if you're rear brake happy
1 STOP IT
2 Buy a DHRII (dry to intermediate dirt but still work pretty well in mud)
3 still STOP IT

HTH

Clansey

Aug 13, 2018
Liverpool
Ive just ordered the Schwalbe Eddy Current front and rear and will be using them in Verbier and Les Gets/Morzine on my Kenevo so I’ll keep you posted!
I've just ordered the 2.8 eddy current rear as I've sliced two minion DHR II in the past month and they are around £95 to replace. Hopefully I have more luck with the Schwalbes

drjarvis2003

Jul 4, 2018
glasgow
Hans dampf are a medioce intermediate (fairly open) tread design. (there. I've said it)
The newer ones are a slightly better tread design than the original but still uninspiring without a well thought out edge knob design. The entire tread knob shape and direction layout makes no sense. it's symetrical FFS! (so doing the exact opposite thing every few inches of rotation)
The soft compound rubber and large volume will offer plenty grip for climbing/braking even if Schwalbe got their blind tread designer to work on the design (I'm fairly sure the HD is his work)
and the open design will stop it clogging in sticky mud or floating quite so much over peasoup where a narrower volume tyre is better.
Good braking and turning traits are far more important up front so what you really want most from a rear tyre is good reliable predictive edge grip and a predictable transition from upright to fully leant over.
if you're rear brake happy
1 STOP IT
2 Buy a DHRII (dry to intermediate dirt but still work pretty well in mud)
3 still STOP IT

HTH
Have just binned the Hans Dampf rear, that came on my Radon swoop 29er for the same reasons and the fact that i ripped a hole and damaged the bead too.That was with an insert. did it at Cademuir. I also replaced it with a DHR2. and it seems much better so far. I think they put the Hans Dampf on because it makes the bike feel fast rolling.

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
lol thats my thinking too but I did a bit of experimenting and its surprised me how much draggy tyres affect battery life. common sense when you think about it but I was just "its draggy but im on an ebike who cares!" I do care a bit more now and my battery lasts loads longer

I totally agree with ChrisP!
Riding an Ebike makes me ride harder and faster, throughout more of my ride, on a much heavier bike; ergo - I need more grip! Care less about weight and drag, and since most my rides are well within my batteries range( around 15-30km.) I don't worry about maxing out my range! More so, since I'm riding a heavy bike, harder, on mostly Rocky terain.. To me at least - survivability (no snakebites or broken rims) and zero punctures are my biggest considerations, so I can make it home, and not spend a fortune on repairs! ( New tires or rims..)
Therefore, for me, it's a no-brainer to get the biggest baddest tire I can!
I ride a specialized Kenevo that came with Butcher 2.8 tires. A first for me on both accounts.
On the front, lowering the tire pressure to around 20psi, works well for me. But in the rear, I found myself riding even lower pressure to try and get the grip I wanted. But ended up raising the pressure back up above 20psi after a few close calls and dents to my rear rim, not wanting to destroy it, I realized I needed another solution.
The conditions here are very dry and Rocky most of the year, and the selection of available 2.8 tires here is not great.. so it was dhr's or butchers..after hearing of specialized new dh casing, the " black diamond" I decided to order one and try it. Saving my almost new butcher off the rear - as a spare for the front.
At the same time realizing it would help my traction, some punctures and tire stiffness, but not save my rims.. I started looking into tire inserts.
After reading many reviews about the different ones, decided on cushcore, despite some concerns about installing them.
But I must say after installing both, that it wasn't that bad all in all, and the end result - the combination of being able to run 15 psi on a durable dh casing that feels stiff and predictable as if I was running 25 psi, (due to the air token effect)with the cushcore inserts - but with much more grip and "plush" gives me an immense sense of security and confidence to push my riding harder and faster!
I definitely see myself getting cushcore on the front too, as soon as I can afford to.
I will post about my cushcore installation experience, in a separate post.
Tim
IMG_20190419_112940.jpg
IMG_20190419_112940.jpg

Last edited:

Clansey

Aug 13, 2018
Liverpool

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
Yet to fit mine, it arrived this morning but the line doesn't mean anything other than aesthetics.

How are the hope brakes? Looking at either the V4 hopes or Saints at the moment.
I just love my hopes! Classic " tech" levers with v4 calipers and floating discs! The best combo for me.. I don't live in the Alps so don't need the vented discs..
But with the hopes... You can just feel the quality! Not to speak of the accuracy and modulation !
Can't say I've tried the saints.
Tim

IMG_20190423_220043.jpg

JChristo

Apr 29, 2019
Australia
Just fitted the Eddie Currents front and rear also, burliest tyre I've ever seen. Makes the Minion DHs seem like tissue paper. 2 rides in and the grip feels insane. Heavy tyres (nearly 1.5kg each) with huge knobs, super soft rubber, haven't noticed any perceivable drag. Front is a 2.6 x 29, rear 2.8 x 27.5
eddies.jpg

Macone

E*POWAH Master
Oct 28, 2018
Wellington New Zealand
yeah I went from a Maxis Rekon on the back of my Focus Jam2, to 27.5/2.8 Eddy Current. No noticeable difference in drag. Run out of my first battery in within 100 metres either way of where I always ran out on the Rekon (approx 27kms into my regular Hilly ride), times almost identical. Running the same pressure. Way more grip and therefore confidence.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
That's quite surprising. what volume, compound and casing was the rekon?
and what sort of terrain is your 27km hilly route?

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
Really like the 2.4 DHR2 Maxx Terra Exo, on both front and rear on the 2019 Levo.

As an experiment I’ve just got a set of DHR2’s in 2.6 Exo+, will try these over the next month to compare against the 2.4.

How are you getting on with these Rob? I currently run a 2.6 Hans Dampf on the back and it's not remarkable but I find it pretty good. Have holed it a couple of times recently which is disappointing as it's the Apex reinforced version but I had let it run low on sealant. When it does die I'm looking at the 2.4 DHR Exo+ as a compromise between the Exo, which rip too easily IMO, and the DD which are a bit too porky

tomimeu

Mar 30, 2019
spain
So I have put both Eddy’s on but the Kenevo and the lines on the tread are on different sides - given that these are not directional tires does this matter?

Cheers
Ben View attachment 13265 View attachment 13266 View attachment 13267
Hi, in a Canyon Spectral on, changed the original Minion DHR 2.8 to an Eddy Current and very happy whit he results. No puncture at all with Stan's inside and lots of grip. Cons: quite heavy and high rolling resistance. These 2 cons no so important in an EBIKE.

Dan fagelson

May 2, 2019
Chelmsford
My local trails are the Essex flats and Surrey hills, so I run the maxxis 2.8 minion and high roller that came with the bike... But the schwarble Eddie current are my lake district tyre. Last summer I had about 10 flats on the maxxis in 3 days, without tubes and with them on a ride where the rip was too bad to plug. Second trip to the lakes I tried a vitoria tube insert... Less roll and no flats... I'm quite a hard rider so the 2 8 maxxis just don't work for me and also a couple of mates had the same issue in the knarly stuff... They have also ordered the Eddie currents and tyre insert for this summers trip...

spacemonkey

Sep 29, 2018
belgium
I've been running the new ebike tyres from Michelin , E-Wild front&rear.
Coming from the original schwalbe tyres (magic mary / hans dampf), these are much much better. Magic mary is ok , but that hans dampf is horrible , sidewalls very weak, had a puncture almost every ride.
The michelin is stable, rolls good (my battery lasts longer), gives good feedback and very grippy
Really impressed

Ewild rear.jpg

Ewild michelin.jpg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I've been running the new ebike tyres from Michelin , E-Wild front&rear.
Coming from the original schwalbe tyres (magic mary / hans dampf), these are much much better. Magic mary is ok , but that hans dampf is horrible , sidewalls very weak, had a puncture almost every ride.
The michelin is stable, rolls good (my battery lasts longer), gives good feedback and very grippy
Really impressed

View attachment 14216

View attachment 14217
I just picked up a set of these on a deal, currently injured so won't be able to try them out for a week or so, but have heard god things from a few people on them.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I have slashed my Nobby Nick 2.8 3 times in the last couple of months. Not impressed! So I have an eddy current 2.8 rear ready to mount. Am just a little concerned about battery range as they are apparently a little draggy.
In August when I do a trans Alp I might go down to a 2.6 rather than 2.8 and get something that rolls better. Any suggestions?

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
@spacemonkey - which version of the hand dampf did you have? I have the Apex 2.6 version on the back and have been pretty pleased with it. Sidewalls have been fine and we have lots of sharp flint around here, punctured the main belt a few times where the Apex bit is supposed to be, mate has done the same to his. Think I will look elsewhere next time and the Michelins look good value. Aren't they supposed to be pretty heavy though? Could do with toning down the sidewall graphics as well!

d3ftone

May 29, 2019
Colorado
Brand new to e-mtb, recently ordered a YT Decoy. I've read several pages of this thread but couldn't really discern what the consensus is on proper tire casing strength. I'm thinking DD/SuperGravity/WTB Tough on the rear and I've been going back and forth for the front, either EXO+ or DD/SG/Tough. Would DD be overkill for the front? What combination is holding up best for most people? (Colorado riding on trails of all difficulty levels if it matters.)

Thanks for any replies.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Appropriate tyre casing choice depends on the rider, how and where they ride.
and to some extent what pressures/volumes/rims they run.

how about riding the Decoy first. Then deciding what is or isn't lacking from the tyres?

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Brand new to e-mtb, recently ordered a YT Decoy. I've read several pages of this thread but couldn't really discern what the consensus is on proper tire casing strength. I'm thinking DD/SuperGravity/WTB Tough on the rear and I've been going back and forth for the front, either EXO+ or DD/SG/Tough. Would DD be overkill for the front? What combination is holding up best for most people? (Colorado riding on trails of all difficulty levels if it matters.)

Thanks for any replies.
Personal preference , your trails and how you ride are all factors that are hard to gauge. I'm not a fan of exo or +. Eastern Rockies are indeed rocky. I like Michelin wild rockr2 front with wild enduro rear. 2.35 and 2.4 respectively(same size as maxxis 2.5). They're in the 1100g range(double down range) . If I was riding mostly dh trails and/or steep I'd run wild rockr2 front and back(magic front,gum X rear). If it was a more muddy or wet area itd be wild enduro front and back. Wild rockr2 is like a minion only better sidewalls and edging knobs

Reactions: osh

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles