What tyres? The Ultimate Tyre Thread

Dan63

Feb 4, 2019
Brisbane
Let us know how you get on, Dan. I’m in Perth and will need to replace my Nobby Nic 27.5 x 2.8s soon. Interesting you felt the DHRs were slow, as I was thinking of them but also commute.
Hey mate, hit the trails today and had a blast. As mentioned DHR2 front and Rekon+ on the rear both in 27.5x2.8. i think there is a marked decrease in drag which will be nice for commute and possible increase battery range. I'll say I'm no professional rider, but no notable loss of rear grip compared to the DHR2. Setup tubeless 17psi/23psi
This is the one i bought here

Obligatory pic below ?
IMG_20190324_110048.jpg

Last edited:

drjarvis2003

Jul 4, 2018
glasgow
Just thought I would give you guys a heads up on the magic mary 2.6 folding on 27.5 weight. They are listed at between 960 grams and 1000 grams. Just weighed 2 of them at 1270 grams.
For e bikes that's prob a good thing, but no way would I put them on my analogue bike.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
That's really quite vague information @drjarvis2003
What EXACT model Magic Mary is it?
Casing makes a HUGE difference and MMs come in at least 4 different casing types, DH, SG, snakeskin and the cheaper performance/bikepark range (non folding)

The 27.5x2.35 snakeskin Magic Mary i have on the front of my E-sommet weighs right around 850g (I'd expect the 2.6 to be somewhere around 900g if available in the same casing)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
third last option in the drop down is 2.35 Supergravity ultrasoft
ie. SG is pretty much a DH casing. so yeah. it'll be quite a bit heavier than the version I use.

drjarvis2003

Jul 4, 2018
glasgow
Just looked at schwalbe,s web page and they only do a 27.5 by 2.6 in snakeskin. Just checked the web page that I linked and the 3rd last one is a 2.6

drjarvis2003

Jul 4, 2018
glasgow
Of subject here, but I think I meet someone who knew you in the past. Bob, he works in the fire security business and thinks that you used to deal with recumbants in the past? Or is that someone else. Anyway him and his wife are both on merida eonesixtys now and they are from paisley.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
it's your tyre.
(whether 2.35 or 2.6) if it's 1270g it's certainly no folding single ply casing ;)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Of subject here, but I think I meet someone who knew you in the past. Bob, he works in the fire security business and thinks that you used to deal with recumbants in the past? Or is that someone else. Anyway him and his wife are both on merida eonesixtys now and they are from paisley.
Possibly... mtb is a pretty small world and I've met a good few "Bob's". (I'm not exactly shy ;) )
Wee "sonic" Bob? (Mersey?). used to be into motorbikes too? and lived out Cardonald/mosspark way.
I did work with recumbents for a short time (the original fibreglass recumbent rikshaw/chariots that were introduced in edinburgh around the end of the 90s).
Oddly I was speaking to a guy with a West coast accent called Bob on a green Merida E160 at Glentress yesterday. but I'd never met him before (he told me he was 70)

anyway... Tyres... They're *awesome aren't they?

*only the one's I like ;)

drjarvis2003

Jul 4, 2018
glasgow
yes he told me his nickname was sonic! he also told me he was into motorbikes too. Thats where my background is, road and motocross.
He is off to the north of spain next week for a few days to stay with inlaws, i think and i offered to show him some off piste stuff when he comes back. Either down the borders or up north. As for the tyres, i thought they were Dh casings too, as i already have the purple Dh ones and they are nearly the same weight. but the have the orange stripe and the box defo says folding.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
yes he told me his nickname was sonic! he also told me he was into motorbikes too. Thats where my background is, road and motocross.
He is off to the north of spain next week for a few days to stay with inlaws, i think and i offered to show him some off piste stuff when he comes back. Either down the borders or up north. As for the tyres, i thought they were Dh casings too, as i already have the purple Dh ones and they are nearly the same weight. but the have the orange stripe and the box defo says folding.
PM me if/when you arrange a ride with Bob down the borders and I'll hopefully come and join you. I've a pretty good knowledge of most of the trails from Peebles to Selkirk.

Yeah. Tyres defo sound like reinforced/DH casings to me.

Tibo

Jan 24, 2019
France
27.5 2.6 magic mary soft does exist in Super gravity casing even if they are not listed on schwalbe website. I've two of them on my bike and they are around 1.2kg each. Fantastic tyres ! As the ground is getting dryer hans dampf with the same casing dimension and rubber is on the way for the rear wheel.

GuyBerry

Sep 26, 2018
Belgium
Any recommendations for fast rolling 27,5" tires for my Levo 2019? I can try a wheelset from a buddy, and he thinks 27,5" is better suited for our local terrain (old dune area, sandy, roots, tight turns, no rocks) compared to the 29".
He has Rocket Rons width 2,6" mounted, so that will be the first test.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Any recommendations for fast rolling 27,5" tires for my Levo 2019? I can try a wheelset from a buddy, and he thinks 27,5" is better suited for our local terrain (old dune area, sandy, roots, tight turns, no rocks) compared to the 29".
He has Rocket Rons width 2,6" mounted, so that will be the first test.

Sandy? how sandy? the only tyres that really work in proper soft sand are fatbike tyres at low pressure.
or do you mean hardpack trails with a high sand content? in which case sounds like you're already on the right track with the RRs. having said that anything light and harder compound with a dry terrain tread should do. it's not like you'll need tough sidewalls or an overly agressive tread.

Semi slick tyres like a maxxis minion SS in dual compound singleply or exo casing save loads of weight (better acceleration) and roll really well on hardpack. Be aware though, they lose out considerable in straight line braking performance, especially in the wet.
lots of manufacurers do a similar tread patern, compound and sidewall

lucafamlonga

Feb 5, 2019
italy , tuscany
Hi , I'm gonna change my rear tyre , now I'have a Maxxis HR2 single 2,4 but i want something with more grip ... so i'm thinking of a DHR2 3C maxterra or a MagicMary Soft . What do you think ? I have at the Front a DHF 3C maxterra 2,5 on my Moterra Lt1.
Sorry for my bad english :(

Silverfox101010

Jan 22, 2019
Pa55word
2.75x2.6 magic Mary dh casing ultra soft purple Addix for me front and rear on the kenevo, we have motors for a reason wouldn't run anything else with the thought of having to get it back to repair a puncture in the middle of nowhere is a wrongen! Protection comes first then grip then weight imo

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I think I am an anomaly because I have never felt full trust in my MM's - put a good 3-400 miles on them over the winter, and whilst they grip well etc etc, for me at least they seem to have an inconsistency in when they let go, I find them unpredictable at the limit - tried different pressures etc, but never felt totally happy on them. I have the 2.6 DH casing super soft, and they are also by far the slowest rolling tyre I have used.

The 2.6 Gripton Hillybillys I have been concurrently running on my other bike are the opposite, in fact they are probably the best tyre I have had in terms of confidence in performance, and I trust them, and have no hesitation throwing the bike into corners etc.

Macone

E*POWAH Master
Oct 28, 2018
Wellington New Zealand
Just bought an Eddy Current for my rear at literally half the price of DHR. Gotta be worth a look as I head into winter in New Zealand. have been running the original Rekons up till now but rear is about buggered and probably should have been changed a couple of weeks ago but I just havent got around to it yet.

drjarvis2003

Jul 4, 2018
glasgow
27.5 2.6 magic mary soft does exist in Super gravity casing even if they are not listed on schwalbe website. I've two of them on my bike and they are around 1.2kg each. Fantastic tyres ! As the ground is getting dryer hans dampf with the same casing dimension and rubber is on the way for the rear wheel.
Just spotted this and yes you are right, there is a SG mark on the sidewall and the are folding tyres. They are out of stock for a few weeks now, but i will get some more in when they become available.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I think I am an anomaly because I have never felt full trust in my MM's - put a good 3-400 miles on them over the winter, and whilst they grip well etc etc, for me at least they seem to have an inconsistency in when they let go, I find them unpredictable at the limit - tried different pressures etc, but never felt totally happy on them. I have the 2.6 DH casing super soft, and they are also by far the slowest rolling tyre I have used.
use the 2.35 in soft

super soft really isn't needed unless you're racing or riding treacherously technical slippery/wet/rooty trails with crocodile pits and shark pools below while being chased by wolves. ;)
The soft compound is plenty grippy enough and will give you a little less knob roll (ooh er...) when leant over on the outer edge.
The 2.35 breaks away differently than say a minion DHF or DHRII but does so in a really consistent predictable and obvious way. (often saveable without too much input too)
I only ever run one upfront as i actually like a tail happy bike (it confuses the wolves) but the same traits will apply on the rear if you want good damp/wet conditions performance. stick a l'il more pressure in the rear tho obvz.

even in soft the 2.35 MM is one of the the only mud tyres I'd truely trust and comit fully on hardpack with. a massively versatile beastie.

Ps sorry for (probably) costing you another £70 ;)

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I'd put that down to the DH casing. I've run a 2.6 MM Addix Soft since last spring, right through the summer and into the winter and I've found it so good that I have no incentive to try anything else. Over 800 miles so far.
I trashed my DHR2 recently and have fitted a 2.8 MM to the rear as well. Yes, it's draggy as fuck by so confidence inspiring.

I considered trying a HillBilly next as they're quite a bit cheaper but there's still loads of life left in the MM. Another option I was considering is a Maxxis Shorty.

Stumpy

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
I’ve got a MM 2.8 on the front and a EC 2.8 on the rear and absolutely love them both. So much so that I’ve got an EC 2.8 for the front thinking when it got really muddy over winter I’d swap the MM out but it performed so well I never bothered. Now the trails have dried out I’ve put a couple os PSI in both and they’re still performing brilliantly. As they say “horses for courses...”

GuyBerry

Sep 26, 2018
Belgium
Sandy? how sandy? the only tyres that really work in proper soft sand are fatbike tyres at low pressure.
or do you mean hardpack trails with a high sand content? in which case sounds like you're already on the right track with the RRs. having said that anything light and harder compound with a dry terrain tread should do. it's not like you'll need tough sidewalls or an overly agressive tread.

Semi slick tyres like a maxxis minion SS in dual compound singleply or exo casing save loads of weight (better acceleration) and roll really well on hardpack. Be aware though, they lose out considerable in straight line braking performance, especially in the wet.
lots of manufacurers do a similar tread patern, compound and sidewall

Lets say I run a ThunderBurt in the rear on my Spark RC, to give an idea of the underground.
Two of the friends ride fatbikes.
But I would like to have a tougher sidewall as the RoRo.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
What size thunderburt?
Why not run the same on your Ebike
and why would you need more sidewall protection riding the same trails?
2 or 3 psi more pressure should do

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
Hans dampf complaint, mine was the 2.35,

1 had to keep it at 25lbs or or more otherwise it would burp

2 before the tire was worn out it developed a massive side bulge, which was shaking the bike like a buckled wheel. I now have a butcher on the back which is behaving nicely.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
That’ll be caused by the gnarly road climb through Cheddar Gorge...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles